The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which Player Is The Most Valuable To The Canucks

D.Doughty

Hank due to the reason he's our No.1 Center. He's an offensive juggernaut and the team's recent wins has been due to the strong play of him. It's impossible to have anyone replace Hank as the No.1 Center. Kesler is more of a 2 way player and does not possess the play-making ability that Hank has.

Without Lu, the Canucks will be able to continue with the surging play of Schniederman.

Without Kesler, I can see Lappy centering the 2nd line due to his grit and ability to put up points when his team needs him. It won't be pretty, but it can be done.

Our team was also able to play without Hammer and Edler last year, even though it's much less exciting.

Hank. The offense runs through him. Kesler is great and all but I don't see him as the type of player with the talent to step up and anchor the offense. He plays balls to the wall, he's an elite defensive player and he's a good finisher but he can't do what Henrik Sedin does. Really, not many players can, besides maybe Sidney Crosby. Sedin is perhaps the 2nd best playmaker of the post-lockout era after Joe Thornton.

I shudder to imagine the Canucks without him in the lineup. It makes me realize how lucky the team is that he happens to have the 2nd longest active iron man streak going, having not missed a game since the lockout.

I'm going with Henrik, Kesler and Hamhuis. I think we can survive without Luongo because of Schneider. I also pick Henrik and Kesler over Daniel and Burrows (and really any of the other wingers) because I honestly don't think they could replace the centremen for the top two lines. Pahlsson needs to stay where he is on his shutdown line, and neither Lapierre nor Malhotra could replace either of the top two centres.

As for defence, I agree that losing Salo was tough for the Canucks, but looking at Hamhuis's stats, I really think losing him would be a much tougher blow.

I think Kesler and Luongo, when they're playing their best in the playoffs, are the key difference makers. Kesler proved last year that when he's healthy, he can shut guys down, and steal an entire series: he was a one man wrecking crew for the first 18 playoff games, but just couldn't get it done after his injury. During the season, the Sedins and our goaltenders are bar none our most important players; but as far as playoff hockey goes, what Kesler brings to the game is invaluable. However, things always go south when our top defensive player is injured, and in my opinion, our steadiest defensive player is Dan Hamhuis. If we don't have Hamhuis, I fear we don't have a prayer.

Archived