The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Happened To Victor Oreskovich

lmm

Was never really a fan of Oreo, he seemed like a nice guy but I don't like the way he plays. Weise is a much better option, better hitter, more offensive potential, you have to keep in mind comparing these two that Dale is 2 years younger, and put up 28 goals in 73 games in his 2nd year of the AHL, and 38 points in 47 games last year also.

Didn't Oreo want a 1-way at first? He never even played that great, and was more of a hugger in fights, where as Weise likes to throw em, along with Kassian. We're much better off without him, but he seems like a nice guy so I wish him well in the rest of his career.

I think if he gets a second chance in the playoffs he's going to have to hit cuz thats what he gets paid for and he's a huge guy who makes impact hits that could shift momentum and he had good jump in his strides (from what I remember from the playoffs last year) I'd rather have him and Bitz on the fourth line. yes he's not a "tough fighter" but we have bitz and alberts for that so really he just has to make those big CLEAN hits which he did last year in the playoffs

Oh come on, everybody was satisfied with Victor Oreskovich at the end of the playoffs. Everybody had him penciled in on the fourth line for next year.

He picked up his play by the end of the preseason and had made the opening roster with Steve Pinizzotto's injury. Both Aaron Volpatti and Mike Duco are left wingers, so he did not outplay Oreskovich. It was a battle between Oreskovich and Pinizzotto for the fourth line right wing position.

Then he had a single game during the season and got ostracized by Vigneault for a so-so game.

Dale Weise has been awful this season. Unwilling to hit just like Oreskovich. Except when Oreskovich does decide to hit, his hits are impact hits.

Weise is a NHL rookie and more than 2 years younger than Oreo. Oreo was a project after quitting hockey for almost 2 years. I suspect his biggest challenge is his mental approach to the game. Any question mark about his attitude simply makes another player more viable. I can agree that Weise could be more physical but he does get to where the action is. He can hit, has speed, nice wrister, can make a pass and doesn't get caught on the backcheck. I doubt Oreo sees the NHL again.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

Cam Neely?

Anyway, the trade was pretty necessary. What if Hamhuis had not signed in Vancouver? Who was going to play in the top-4? Remember Bieksa has also improved by great leaps since the Hammer signing.

The top 4 would been like:

Edler - Salo (as you know, injury-prone)

Alberts - Bieksa (Bieksa pre-Hamhuis, who knows if he would have bounced back without him)

Or maybe he would have pulled off another trade, but there weren't many top-4 defenseman avaible, hence the price. And remember Bernier's 2 million cap hit was also dumped in that trade, so for the year Ballard contract wasn't that bad.

GMMG did end up hitting the jackpot with Hamhuis, so Ballard was moved down to the bottom pairing, as he nor Edler are amazing on the right side. It has been a bit of a disappointment, especially because a 4.2 million dollar cap hit is way too high for a bottom pairing guy, but he was just really getting into his groove here in a new role before his most recent injury. Heck, if Hamhuis had gotten hurt instead of Ballard near the deadline, Ballard probably would have finally got his chance.

And as far as Howden becoming a 'beaut', remember his talked about potential around the draft was a good two-way 3rd line winger/center not unlike Kesler before he turned into a good offensive player. The chances of him cracking the Canucks over the next year 5 years is pretty slim (and this window of opportunity does need to be acted on in some way), whereas Ballard may have been necessary for the following year had Hammer not decided to sign here.

Also remember Grabner and Bernier did squat with the Cats. From a Florida and Vancouver perspective it was pretty much 2 million dollar cap hit + Howden for Ballard which isn't THAT bad of a trade, certainly not the worst in Canuck history.

I'm going to blow up this myth once and for all. Pittsburgh has 3 of the best centres in hockey, and I NEVER hear of anyone saying they "have to trade" one of them, nor is there an issue of ice time. Players know their role. Good players are good players. Quinton Howden is exactly the kind of guy Gillis would have wanted. He's 6'3", is versatile and can play wing or centre, and will eventually fill out his 183 lb frame. I'm sorry but he sounds like he's a better prospect than Schroeder is. At least he could play on the bottom 6 and fit in well. Do you see Schroeder being a bottom 6 guy? In what's probably his last year of junior he's averaged 65 points per season or better the past three years with Moose Jaw. Did I mention he has 15 points in 9 games in the playoffs? Sounds like he shows up when it matters. (He's a point a game or better player in post-season play in the WHL)

Gillis made the trade because we had a hole to fill on D. I didn't mind giving up Grabner or Bernier, but the 1st rounder was too much to get too little back. If we had traded for Keaton Ellerby or a similar young defensive prospect ok, yeah, you'd probably have to give up a first rounder. I still don't like the trade. But I understand why we did it.

Archived