Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

What Happened To Victor Oreskovich

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#31 Teemu Selšnne

Teemu Selšnne

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,199 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

I'm going to blow up this myth once and for all. Pittsburgh has 3 of the best centres in hockey, and I NEVER hear of anyone saying they "have to trade" one of them, nor is there an issue of ice time. Players know their role. Good players are good players. Quinton Howden is exactly the kind of guy Gillis would have wanted. He's 6'3", is versatile and can play wing or centre, and will eventually fill out his 183 lb frame. I'm sorry but he sounds like he's a better prospect than Schroeder is. At least he could play on the bottom 6 and fit in well. Do you see Schroeder being a bottom 6 guy? In what's probably his last year of junior he's averaged 65 points per season or better the past three years with Moose Jaw. Did I mention he has 15 points in 9 games in the playoffs? Sounds like he shows up when it matters. (He's a point a game or better player in post-season play in the WHL)

Gillis made the trade because we had a hole to fill on D. I didn't mind giving up Grabner or Bernier, but the 1st rounder was too much to get too little back. If we had traded for Keaton Ellerby or a similar young defensive prospect ok, yeah, you'd probably have to give up a first rounder. I still don't like the trade. But I understand why we did it.

What does Pittsburgh's situation have to do with what I was talking about?

If Quinton Howden was exactly the player GMMG wanted he would have kept that year's 1st round and traded the following year's 1st rounder that was a factual option.. he didn't.

Of course you wouldn't 'mind' giving up Bernier or Grabner, because neither had to role to fill with the team (unless of course Raymond had been let go of over Grabs) and Bernier had a 2 million dollar cap hit.

Anyway, Howden hasn't played a single pro game yet and the Canucks made it to the SCF last year and are in the race for it again this year. If they hadn't been able to sign Hamhuis and they hadn't traded for Keith Ballard things might be looking quite a bit different. Howden would NOT be on this team this year, within the next 3 years now? Maybe, but I still think the chances are slim.

He might end up being a fine player, but like I said, there's a window of opportunity right now and some sacrifices have/had to be made.

#32 WolfKeeper

WolfKeeper

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

the accuracy of that statement by canucks army is kind of suspect, considering just a couple days later Parent and Doell both rejoined the team.

No one really knew. There were rumors Doell was skating and he might be ready by the end of the season. In the AHL injuries seem to be better kept secrets than in the NHL.

I heard Oreo is done for the year, for what it's worth.
I like beer. And hockey.

#33 Canvoucer Vanuck

Canvoucer Vanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:04 AM

His concussion issues have made him reluctant to fight which is understandable... unfortunately for him AV wants his 4th liners to be tough guys and grinders.
RIP LB28, RR37 and PD38... Forever a Canuck

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.