Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Two Playoff Goalies Better Than One?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,237 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:28 AM

Decent article from the Globe and Mail:

Keith Ballard offered a rational thought on a subject no one can stop talking about: How the Vancouver Canucks goaltending carousel might spin over the next two months as the Presidents’ Trophy champions take aim at another trip to the Stanley Cup final.

Will it be Roberto Luongo? (Yes, to start.) Cory Schneider? (Perhaps later, in relief.) A little bit of both? (Likely, if their playoff run lasts the desired two months.)

According to Ballard, for the people that matter the most – the players inside the Canucks dressing room – the discussion is irrelevant and almost laughable.

The idea that people throw around a goalie controversy, inside the room, it’s funny, we get a good chuckle out of it,” the veteran Vancouver defenceman said in an interview.

There are 29 teams that would like to have the same goalie controversy, if that’s what you’d want to call it. I know from a team perspective and from their perspective, we view it as a strength of our team.

I mean, we have two No. 1 centres; and I don’t think we have a centre controversy. Ryan Kesler could go into almost any other NHL team and be their No. 1 centre. We have depth at every position. Lou and Schneids are extremely professional and they’re extremely good team guys. We know that’s what people think, but there are a lot of opinions out there that the players in this room don’t care too much about.”

More at the link.

I agree, and I have equal confidence in either goalie. I support them both because they're both Canucks. Even if you prefer one, it doesn't mean you should hate on the other.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#2 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:30 AM

Pretty self explanitory. ....I don't see how it can hurt the team, so obviously a plus :)

Edited by The Sedin's 6th Sense, 11 April 2012 - 09:31 AM.

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#3 trevota

trevota

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:41 AM

funny theres no talk of a controversy in st louis. Its all about vancouver Im sure most teams would love to have either halak or elliot.

its the media whos to blame

#4 Oregon Canucky

Oregon Canucky

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

Cant wait cant wait cant wait. * fidgets relentlessly*
Posted Image

Portland Oregon: The first U.S. city to play for the Stanley Cup!

#5 Losing With Pride

Losing With Pride

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,781 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:44 AM

See Carolina's Cup Win - Remember when Gerber failed... and Ward came out of nowhere and won the cup.
See Patrick Roy's Rookie Year in Montreal.

These are just some examples that a backup can unexpectedly win you a Stanley Cup!

#6 Puckmonk3y

Puckmonk3y

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:52 AM

I like Lu, he has had a great year and he is a fantastic goalie. That being said I want him on a shorter leash this year. When he's good he's great but when he's bad he's awful. We've all seen the signs and can identify when a game is going to go bad so pull him early no sense leaving him in net for more 8-1 blow outs, if are down three yank him out.
Posted Image
sig credit to Canazzy

#7 VancouverStyle

VancouverStyle

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

Yes i like the idea of having two ready, capable and willing goaltenders that will
play of the other one is struggling.

Is it just me, or is game 1 taking forever to get here?

#8 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,916 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

The controversy is why people insist on assuming Luo will fail. What other goaltender with Luo's actual record (not the one haters try to pretend he has) is said to be starting but that the backup may be coming in "perhaps later, in relief"? People say they've been disappointed by Luo's failures in the past but it seems to me that their disappointment comes from the fact that they always believe he will fail and the vast majority of the time he doesn't.

Go, Canucks, Go! Every single one of them.
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#9 Bombastik der Teutone

Bombastik der Teutone

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 26,390 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:57 AM

if lui sucks..just throw schneids in

there are some teams who could ice a tandem and rotate them

philly,boston,st.louis,florida,vancouver,chicago.....why not?

#10 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,176 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:08 AM

Honestly, I think most people understand this. The reason you see guys like Kypreos and Shannon talk about the "goaltending issues" in Vancouver is because they get paid to bring stuff like that up.

I think most NHL teams (even the Rangers and Preds) would love to have a backup as good as Schneider.

Usually I'm one of those guys who supports the coaching staff 99% of the time, but in this case, I wish they'd think a bit outside the box. We just had one of our most impressive stretches of the season using what amounted to a goaltender rotation.

I'm not suggesting they alternate the goalies necessarily, but I'd love to see Louie start at Rogers and Schneider get the game three start. If the pattern were successful, I'd stick with it until it was no longer successful.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#11 Get real canuck fans

Get real canuck fans

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:16 AM

Honestly, I think most people understand this. The reason you see guys like Kypreos and Shannon talk about the "goaltending issues" in Vancouver is because they get paid to bring stuff like that up.

I think most NHL teams (even the Rangers and Preds) would love to have a backup as good as Schneider.

Usually I'm one of those guys who supports the coaching staff 99% of the time, but in this case, I wish they'd think a bit outside the box. We just had one of our most impressive stretches of the season using what amounted to a goaltender rotation.

I'm not suggesting they alternate the goalies necessarily, but I'd love to see Louie start at Rogers and Schneider get the game three start. If the pattern were successful, I'd stick with it until it was no longer successful.

We go with Lou and hope he runs with it to the end, but it is my belief that Lou will falter at some point because for the last 3 years he has had as many bad series as good series and Cory will come in, and I hope he can play like he did during the regular season because that kind of goaltending will win a vast majority of games and could lead to cup victory, where as Lous regular season performance will not be good enough to win the cup.

#12 RIPRYP

RIPRYP

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:32 AM

Believe in Lu, but we have SCHNEIDERMAN

RIP to the BEST pound for pound fighter the NHL has ever seen. Will be missed.

#13 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,237 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:33 AM

If you look at it from purely a schedule standpoint, there isn't a lot of reason to rotate. There's no back to backs, and we have 2-3 days between some games. At best, I could see Schneids being scheduled to start in Games 2 and 6 when looking at workload.

Of course, if Luongo has a rough go of it, Schneider could come in at any point. There's no way to predict that though.

#14 CowtownCanuck

CowtownCanuck

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,476 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

Quick and Bernier vs. Luongo and Schnieder, 2 goalies each

#15 Edler Is a Beast

Edler Is a Beast

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:46 AM

Idk, I say play Luu at home and play Schneids on the road. :P

Edited by Edler Is a Beast, 11 April 2012 - 10:46 AM.

#16 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 10:55 AM

its the media whos to blame

It's all a part of Bettman's master plan to destroy Canada!

#17 Geoff Peterson

Geoff Peterson

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:16 PM

1A...1B... sounds like a great game plan...Ballard's rational thought is refreshing. Go Canucks Go ...'CBS CARES'

#18 Dylmario

Dylmario

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

Follow @BELIEVEINLUONGO to show your support for our netminder.
GO CANUCKS GO!

#19 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

I mean, we have two No. 1 centres; and I don’t think we have a centre controversy"

Love this !

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#20 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,237 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:04 PM

Although when we (apparently) had three #1 centres, there was some controversy over ice time... That's all sorted now though. :emot-parrot:

#21 Hamhuised

Hamhuised

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

ďI mean, we have two No. 1 centres; and I donít think we have a centre controversy"

Love this !

Yes this line really stood out to me too.
It's so true. Depth is important, at any position.

#22 Losing With Pride

Losing With Pride

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,781 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:40 PM

Pittsburgh has 3 #1 Centres.

Staal Crosby Malkin

Their locker room must be a mess.

#23 timmylu1

timmylu1

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:21 PM

ughhh

#24 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,237 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

Yup, as I just mentioned, we thankfully avoided that situation here. I mean, could you imagine the controversy?!

But seriously, that puts it in pretty good perspective. There is no controversy, it's just a shame we can't play them both in the same game.

#25 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,319 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

the key word is depth. cant have enough of it. nux ran out of healthy bodies by gm 7 scf last yr. i think they are deeper this yr in every position. dont forget about a fews guys in AHL yet to be called up

reinprecht, duco, etc
Posted Image

#26 CanucksxDream

CanucksxDream

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:04 PM

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Schneider get some starts! If we have 2 excellent goalies, why not use them to the max??
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.