The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Two Playoff Goalies Better Than One?

elvis15

Decent article from the Globe and Mail:

Keith Ballard offered a rational thought on a subject no one can stop talking about: How the Vancouver Canucks goaltending carousel might spin over the next two months as the Presidents’ Trophy champions take aim at another trip to the Stanley Cup final.

Will it be Roberto Luongo? (Yes, to start.) Cory Schneider? (Perhaps later, in relief.) A little bit of both? (Likely, if their playoff run lasts the desired two months.)

According to Ballard, for the people that matter the most – the players inside the Canucks dressing room – the discussion is irrelevant and almost laughable.

The idea that people throw around a goalie controversy, inside the room, it’s funny, we get a good chuckle out of it,” the veteran Vancouver defenceman said in an interview.

There are 29 teams that would like to have the same goalie controversy, if that’s what you’d want to call it. I know from a team perspective and from their perspective, we view it as a strength of our team.

I mean, we have two No. 1 centres; and I don’t think we have a centre controversy. Ryan Kesler could go into almost any other NHL team and be their No. 1 centre. We have depth at every position. Lou and Schneids are extremely professional and they’re extremely good team guys. We know that’s what people think, but there are a lot of opinions out there that the players in this room don’t care too much about.”

I like Lu, he has had a great year and he is a fantastic goalie. That being said I want him on a shorter leash this year. When he's good he's great but when he's bad he's awful. We've all seen the signs and can identify when a game is going to go bad so pull him early no sense leaving him in net for more 8-1 blow outs, if are down three yank him out.

The controversy is why people insist on assuming Luo will fail. What other goaltender with Luo's actual record (not the one haters try to pretend he has) is said to be starting but that the backup may be coming in "perhaps later, in relief"? People say they've been disappointed by Luo's failures in the past but it seems to me that their disappointment comes from the fact that they always believe he will fail and the vast majority of the time he doesn't.

Go, Canucks, Go! Every single one of them.

Honestly, I think most people understand this. The reason you see guys like Kypreos and Shannon talk about the "goaltending issues" in Vancouver is because they get paid to bring stuff like that up.

I think most NHL teams (even the Rangers and Preds) would love to have a backup as good as Schneider.

Usually I'm one of those guys who supports the coaching staff 99% of the time, but in this case, I wish they'd think a bit outside the box. We just had one of our most impressive stretches of the season using what amounted to a goaltender rotation.

I'm not suggesting they alternate the goalies necessarily, but I'd love to see Louie start at Rogers and Schneider get the game three start. If the pattern were successful, I'd stick with it until it was no longer successful.

Honestly, I think most people understand this. The reason you see guys like Kypreos and Shannon talk about the "goaltending issues" in Vancouver is because they get paid to bring stuff like that up.

I think most NHL teams (even the Rangers and Preds) would love to have a backup as good as Schneider.

Usually I'm one of those guys who supports the coaching staff 99% of the time, but in this case, I wish they'd think a bit outside the box. We just had one of our most impressive stretches of the season using what amounted to a goaltender rotation.

I'm not suggesting they alternate the goalies necessarily, but I'd love to see Louie start at Rogers and Schneider get the game three start. If the pattern were successful, I'd stick with it until it was no longer successful.

If you look at it from purely a schedule standpoint, there isn't a lot of reason to rotate. There's no back to backs, and we have 2-3 days between some games. At best, I could see Schneids being scheduled to start in Games 2 and 6 when looking at workload.

Of course, if Luongo has a rough go of it, Schneider could come in at any point. There's no way to predict that though.

Archived