Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

The Joke That Is Nhl "discipline"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
119 replies to this topic

#1 Kesler_smash

Kesler_smash

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

So now that its all but certain that Daniel will not be playing in game 1 and who knows how many more playoff games, how much more upset are you about the 5 game suspension that Keith recieved for the pre meditated elbow with intent to injure. Meanwhile Keith is suited up and ready to make an impact on his teams playoff series and he got a nice little rest at the end of the regular season to boot. What is the lesson learned here NHL discipline dept.? That its actually smart to take a cheap shot at a star player on one of the top contenders for the Stanley Cup...you might take the star player out for playoff starts meanwhile you suffer the equivalent of a time out for a kindergarten student. I'm sorry but now that its official that Daniel is going to miss some playoff time at least this suspension is that much more infuriating and makes the NHL look much more amateur and bush league.

Edited by Kesler_smash, 11 April 2012 - 01:05 PM.

#2 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

You know it's a joke when they end up suspending players less games because playoff games are worth more. Bunch of nonsense.

You knock a player out of the playoffs and he doesn't recover any faster than in the regular season. Yet, Shanahan has stated that he says one stanley cup finals game is worth about 12 regular season game. Just get ready for some extremely questionable suspensions this playoffs. Boggles my mind that you can hurt a player in the playoffs (when things actually matter) and actually end up with a lesser punishment. No sense. These idiots need to be smacked upside of the head for not protecting the health of players.

#3 Linden's_Forgotten_Son

Linden's_Forgotten_Son

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

At least we don't have the father of a player on the other team in the Stanley cup finals making the decisions anymore. Thank You Campbell and Son for making a mockery of the NHL's credibility.

#4 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:07 PM

IMHO it is time to let this stuff go, and roll with what we got.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#5 Neufy161

Neufy161

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

I understand, however, the NHL has to remain consistent on their supplemental discipline and I think the 5 game suspension is consistent with similar incidents in the past. How do you think Pen's felt when they lost Crosby for an entire year. We're just gonna have to deal and be thankful that its not another Crosby situation

From the start, players that injure someone with intent should be suspended until the injured player returns.

Oh hello Alain Vigneault, I see what you did there... good one.

Posted Image

Signature by (>'-')>

#6 singularity

singularity

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:09 PM

Sadly, NHL management are filled with people who are impartial. Most of them are people who have been associated with some team or the other and they haven't forgotten their loyalties. So the discipline is a joke and just window dressing, most of them would still do anything to fix games. Just not that obviously.

Even Colin Campbell has been found to have been getting upset with some of the calls of the referees in past years for example.

#7 Kesler_smash

Kesler_smash

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

It just drives me nuts that the way the discipline is handed out its more like a punishment for the victim and a reward for the perpitrator. Especially in this case where its more or less 2 "star" players involved and the one who commited the crime is really reaping the benefits....just imagine if it was somehow Van vs. Chi in the 1st round again this year. Now that would really make the injustice stand out.

#8 Wilfred

Wilfred

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

Regardless of the "bad discipline", it doesn't change the fact that Daniel is out right now. All you can do is hope he recovers fast and properly.

#9 Vlas=d

Vlas=d

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

i knew he would get 5 i hoped the league would do the right thing and give him 15+. it wasnt like it was an "accident" his head was targeted, it was interference; way more so then the horton hit was, daniel was injured on the play and didnt return to play except for a short stint on the PP and it was obviously a retaliation to a shoulder hit earlier. the only way you are going to prevent these things from happening is if the league slaps a player across the face when they do it. kinda like how they slapped rome across the face when he had what i thought was a clean hit to hortons shoulder.

there was just no justification to be had for keith's hit. there is no way you could look at it and go o he tried to shoulder check him. he tried to elbow him in the head and succeeded then got a worthless suspension.

#10 Kesler_smash

Kesler_smash

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

IMHO it is time to let this stuff go, and roll with what we got.

IMHO letting things go lets the powers that be just stick to the status quo. People need to speak out and contact the NHL about this because if no one is complaining they will just keep the same practices.

#11 Airjasper

Airjasper

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:13 PM

I understand, however, the NHL has to remain consistent on their supplemental discipline and I think the 5 game suspension is consistent with similar incidents in the past. How do you think Pen's felt when they lost Crosby for an entire year. We're just gonna have to deal and be thankful that its not another Crosby situation

From the start, players that injure someone with intent should be suspended until the injured player returns.

The NHL needs to stop consistently being a joke when it comes to discipline. See: NFL.

5 games for what Keith did is laughable. With each game Daniel misses it makes it an even bigger joke. 5 games for a hit that there is absolutely no doubt was delivered with intent to injure.

#12 singularity

singularity

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

At least we don't have the father of a player on the other team in the Stanley cup finals making the decisions anymore. Thank You Campbell and Son for making a mockery of the NHL's credibility.

Don't count on it. He's still there.

#13 Jacare

Jacare

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

we'll probably get a good meassure as to where the league stands in the pens flyers series. whats the translation on romes suspension from last year? as always the NHL looks really bad by having huge discrepency's in the way games/series/time of season factor into officiating. it should be black and white, calls should be made on infractions, maybe send the zebras to a law class or something, "fiat justitia ruat caelum"

#14 Geoff Peterson

Geoff Peterson

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Bastards!...all we can hope for is the Ref's will call it down the middle..."One for all and all for One"...'GO CANUCKS GO'...
'CBS CARES'.

#15 Ṣpiderman

Ṣpiderman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,457 posts

Man, this fan base can't whine enough.

Are you saying Steckel should have been out for a year +

Bert should never play hockey again?

Just because a Canuck got hit, the rules DON"T CHANGE. Have you just started watching hockey? Let me tell you something, the length of the injury doesn't affect how long the suspension is.

Remember when fans wanted the NHL to suspend for the intent but not the result?

QUIT WHINING

Posted Image

#16 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

IMHO letting things go lets the powers that be just stick to the status quo. People need to speak out and contact the NHL about this because if no one is complaining they will just keep the same practices.

It isn't like writing your MP. How many letters do you think the NHL gets that state "NHL what you did to my fav team the ____________, is totally unfair."

They don't care, they make their money and move on.

#17 kesler_is_clutch

kesler_is_clutch

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

agreed but thats what you get with americans unfortunately!!

#18 Kesler_smash

Kesler_smash

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:17 PM

Just because a Canuck got hit, the rules DON"T CHANGE. Have you just started watching hockey? Let me tell you something, the length of the injury doesn't affect how long the suspension is.

QUIT WHINING

LOL I actually usually agree with this poster but this is pure ignorance...Quit whining you sound like a Keith fan. I agree a lot of things are not worth whining about however this is not one of them. This is an issue where I believe more whining is in order, it would be nice if the national media would do a little whining about it. The NHL's discipline needs to be changed plain and simple. When its actually smart strategy to target a star player with intent to injure something is seriously broken.

#19 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

Just wait until you see how inconsistent and pathetic the refereeing is once the playoffs start.

The League is a farce.

Almost like WWE at this point.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#20 autyone

autyone

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

5 games was sufficient for that hit. He does not have a history as a dirty player and hockey happens in micro seconds.

This isn't directly to the original poster, but just more of a general comment about a common thing I see, that being people who say "player should be suspended until the injuried player is back."

That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard, for more reasons than I care to go into. Take off the Canucks coloured glasses for a moment, and to those that believe that statement think about this. Go back to your Todd Bertuzzi loving days, by your logic then he should still not be allowed to go to his job, because that is what hockey is, his job, because Steve Moore still isn't playing hockey? It's such a nonsense concept

#21 Vlas=d

Vlas=d

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:20 PM

QUIT WHINING

um bertuzzi got quite a lengthy suspension in fact it pretty much caused the canucks to lose the cup.

#22 Kesler_smash

Kesler_smash

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

It isn't like writing your MP. How many letters do you think the NHL gets that state "NHL what you did to my fav team the ____________, is totally unfair."

They don't care, they make their money and move on.

I actually think all suspensions for these types of plays are woefully inadequate. Not just the Keith hit, it is just the most prominent one because its on a star player who is now missing playoff time based on the hit. It has nothing to do with player in my mind, the punishment should be just that not a slap on the wrist. Some people say shut up and move on...these are the followers and conformists who don't want to cause problems because discipline needs to be "consistent" or "that's just how it is" I'm sorry but with attitudes like that things will never change, which I guess if you think the punishment was adequate is fine for you....but I strongly disagree with your opinion.

#23 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:22 PM

um bertuzzi got quite a lengthy suspension in fact it pretty much caused the canucks to lose the cup.

lol, a bit of a stretch I think

#24 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,535 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

Let's put it this way then: stop creating threads about it in the forums. Writing about it here won't do a thing so take your frustration and write to the NHL. We don't need to keep hearing about it here.

"I feel better now because I complained to people who have absolutely no control over the situation!"

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

If this team lets go of Sang he will burn this team next year. 

#25 Kesler_smash

Kesler_smash

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:25 PM

5 games was sufficient for that hit. He does not have a history as a dirty player and hockey happens in micro seconds.

This isn't directly to the original poster, but just more of a general comment about a common thing I see, that being people who say "player should be suspended until the injuried player is back."

That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard, for more reasons than I care to go into. Take off the Canucks coloured glasses for a moment, and to those that believe that statement think about this. Go back to your Todd Bertuzzi loving days, by your logic then he should still not be allowed to go to his job, because that is what hockey is, his job, because Steve Moore still isn't playing hockey? It's such a nonsense concept

Nowhere did I say he should be suspended til the injured player comes back, which is the argument a couple posters have used against me already. I said the suspension was woefully inadequate, which it is. In my opinion on a 1st offense for a deliberate intent to injure type play that the Keith hit was, and many other elbows to the head or other dirty plays (see that page with the 10 dirtiest plays from this season) should be a minimum of 15 to 20 game suspension. Im sorry but the way things are setup right now its a benefit to the perp and a punishment to the victim and that is just not right. Some say shut up and quit whining, but I will not this is an issue worthy of whining.

#26 shiznak

shiznak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,886 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

The decision was the right call.

Bourque got 5 games for a similar hit on Backstrom, 2 months prior.

Suck it up and move on.

2u5ezbq.png

#27 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

I actually think all suspensions for these types of plays are woefully inadequate. Not just the Keith hit, it is just the most prominent one because its on a star player who is now missing playoff time based on the hit. It has nothing to do with player in my mind, the punishment should be just that not a slap on the wrist. Some people say shut up and move on...these are the followers and conformists who don't want to cause problems because discipline needs to be "consistent" or "that's just how it is" I'm sorry but with attitudes like that things will never change, which I guess if you think the punishment was adequate is fine for you....but I strongly disagree with your opinion.

It is fair if you believe NHL supplimentary discipline is inadequate. However, I believe that based on the system put into place this year by Brendan Shannahan, the 5 game suspension is exactly fair, and shows no bias.

All I'm going to say, is remember these posts if one of the Canucks throws a dirty hit these playoffs. Remember that you want more severe punishment.

#28 Fateless

Fateless

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

QUIT WHINING

You're a moron. No one here actually thinks someone should be out until the injured player returns in every scenario. Obviously there needs to be limitations. For example.. with the Keith on Sedin suspension, I think Keith should be out as long as Daniel is until the end of the season AND playoffs. If Daniel is not back by the start of next season, Keith should be allowed to continue playing.

i1u6zif.gif

#29 Kesler_smash

Kesler_smash

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:30 PM

Let's put it this way then: stop creating threads about it in the forums. Writing about it here won't do a thing so take your frustration and write to the NHL. We don't need to keep hearing about it here.

"I feel better now because I complained to people who have absolutely no control over the situation!"

I see your point but then what is the point of the forum overall, might as well just delete 95% of the threads on the site. Because its debate over issues that the people on this forum have no control over as well. If you don't like my thread don't reply to it and bump it...its simple as that. I think this thread is more worthy than any of the 1000 Luongo or Schneider threads but thats just my opinion. Like I said if you don't like it don't read it and definitely don't reply to it..

Edited by Kesler_smash, 11 April 2012 - 03:09 PM.

#30 Hamhuised

Hamhuised

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

I'm not saying that a player should be suspended as long as the injured player, but five games was nothing in that situation. He should have been out ten, possibly twelve games. Starting giving longer suspensions, and bigger fines, ($2500 fine is a joke for millionaires) then incidents will go down

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.