The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Joke That Is Nhl "discipline"

Kesler_smash

So now that its all but certain that Daniel will not be playing in game 1 and who knows how many more playoff games, how much more upset are you about the 5 game suspension that Keith recieved for the pre meditated elbow with intent to injure. Meanwhile Keith is suited up and ready to make an impact on his teams playoff series and he got a nice little rest at the end of the regular season to boot. What is the lesson learned here NHL discipline dept.? That its actually smart to take a cheap shot at a star player on one of the top contenders for the Stanley Cup...you might take the star player out for playoff starts meanwhile you suffer the equivalent of a time out for a kindergarten student. I'm sorry but now that its official that Daniel is going to miss some playoff time at least this suspension is that much more infuriating and makes the NHL look much more amateur and bush league.

You know it's a joke when they end up suspending players less games because playoff games are worth more. Bunch of nonsense.

You knock a player out of the playoffs and he doesn't recover any faster than in the regular season. Yet, Shanahan has stated that he says one stanley cup finals game is worth about 12 regular season game. Just get ready for some extremely questionable suspensions this playoffs. Boggles my mind that you can hurt a player in the playoffs (when things actually matter) and actually end up with a lesser punishment. No sense. These idiots need to be smacked upside of the head for not protecting the health of players.

I understand, however, the NHL has to remain consistent on their supplemental discipline and I think the 5 game suspension is consistent with similar incidents in the past. How do you think Pen's felt when they lost Crosby for an entire year. We're just gonna have to deal and be thankful that its not another Crosby situation

From the start, players that injure someone with intent should be suspended until the injured player returns.

Sadly, NHL management are filled with people who are impartial. Most of them are people who have been associated with some team or the other and they haven't forgotten their loyalties. So the discipline is a joke and just window dressing, most of them would still do anything to fix games. Just not that obviously.

Even Colin Campbell has been found to have been getting upset with some of the calls of the referees in past years for example.

It just drives me nuts that the way the discipline is handed out its more like a punishment for the victim and a reward for the perpitrator. Especially in this case where its more or less 2 "star" players involved and the one who commited the crime is really reaping the benefits....just imagine if it was somehow Van vs. Chi in the 1st round again this year. Now that would really make the injustice stand out.

i knew he would get 5 i hoped the league would do the right thing and give him 15+. it wasnt like it was an "accident" his head was targeted, it was interference; way more so then the horton hit was, daniel was injured on the play and didnt return to play except for a short stint on the PP and it was obviously a retaliation to a shoulder hit earlier. the only way you are going to prevent these things from happening is if the league slaps a player across the face when they do it. kinda like how they slapped rome across the face when he had what i thought was a clean hit to hortons shoulder.

there was just no justification to be had for keith's hit. there is no way you could look at it and go o he tried to shoulder check him. he tried to elbow him in the head and succeeded then got a worthless suspension.

I understand, however, the NHL has to remain consistent on their supplemental discipline and I think the 5 game suspension is consistent with similar incidents in the past. How do you think Pen's felt when they lost Crosby for an entire year. We're just gonna have to deal and be thankful that its not another Crosby situation

From the start, players that injure someone with intent should be suspended until the injured player returns.

we'll probably get a good meassure as to where the league stands in the pens flyers series. whats the translation on romes suspension from last year? as always the NHL looks really bad by having huge discrepency's in the way games/series/time of season factor into officiating. it should be black and white, calls should be made on infractions, maybe send the zebras to a law class or something, "fiat justitia ruat caelum"

Man, this fan base can't whine enough.

Are you saying Steckel should have been out for a year +

Bert should never play hockey again?

Just because a Canuck got hit, the rules DON"T CHANGE. Have you just started watching hockey? Let me tell you something, the length of the injury doesn't affect how long the suspension is.

Remember when fans wanted the NHL to suspend for the intent but not the result?

QUIT WHINING

Man, this fan base can't whine enough.

Are you saying Steckel should have been out for a year +

Bert should never play hockey again?

Just because a Canuck got hit, the rules DON"T CHANGE. Have you just started watching hockey? Let me tell you something, the length of the injury doesn't affect how long the suspension is.

Remember when fans wanted the NHL to suspend for the intent but not the result?

QUIT WHINING

5 games was sufficient for that hit. He does not have a history as a dirty player and hockey happens in micro seconds.

This isn't directly to the original poster, but just more of a general comment about a common thing I see, that being people who say "player should be suspended until the injuried player is back."

That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard, for more reasons than I care to go into. Take off the Canucks coloured glasses for a moment, and to those that believe that statement think about this. Go back to your Todd Bertuzzi loving days, by your logic then he should still not be allowed to go to his job, because that is what hockey is, his job, because Steve Moore still isn't playing hockey? It's such a nonsense concept

Archived