The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Joke That Is Nhl "discipline"

Kesler_smash

Man, this fan base can't whine enough.

Are you saying Steckel should have been out for a year +

Bert should never play hockey again?

Just because a Canuck got hit, the rules DON"T CHANGE. Have you just started watching hockey? Let me tell you something, the length of the injury doesn't affect how long the suspension is.

Remember when fans wanted the NHL to suspend for the intent but not the result?

QUIT WHINING

5 games was sufficient for that hit. He does not have a history as a dirty player and hockey happens in micro seconds.

This isn't directly to the original poster, but just more of a general comment about a common thing I see, that being people who say "player should be suspended until the injuried player is back."

That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard, for more reasons than I care to go into. Take off the Canucks coloured glasses for a moment, and to those that believe that statement think about this. Go back to your Todd Bertuzzi loving days, by your logic then he should still not be allowed to go to his job, because that is what hockey is, his job, because Steve Moore still isn't playing hockey? It's such a nonsense concept

I actually think all suspensions for these types of plays are woefully inadequate. Not just the Keith hit, it is just the most prominent one because its on a star player who is now missing playoff time based on the hit. It has nothing to do with player in my mind, the punishment should be just that not a slap on the wrist. Some people say shut up and move on...these are the followers and conformists who don't want to cause problems because discipline needs to be "consistent" or "that's just how it is" I'm sorry but with attitudes like that things will never change, which I guess if you think the punishment was adequate is fine for you....but I strongly disagree with your opinion.

Man, this fan base can't whine enough.

Are you saying Steckel should have been out for a year +

Bert should never play hockey again?

Just because a Canuck got hit, the rules DON"T CHANGE. Have you just started watching hockey? Let me tell you something, the length of the injury doesn't affect how long the suspension is.

Remember when fans wanted the NHL to suspend for the intent but not the result?

QUIT WHINING

Let's put it this way then: stop creating threads about it in the forums. Writing about it here won't do a thing so take your frustration and write to the NHL. We don't need to keep hearing about it here.

"I feel better now because I complained to people who have absolutely no control over the situation!"

I'm not saying that a player should be suspended as long as the injured player, but five games was nothing in that situation. He should have been out ten, possibly twelve games. Starting giving longer suspensions, and bigger fines, ($2500 fine is a joke for millionaires) then incidents will go down

It is fair if you believe NHL supplimentary discipline is inadequate. However, I believe that based on the system put into place this year by Brendan Shannahan, the 5 game suspension is exactly fair, and shows no bias.

All I'm going to say, is remember these posts if one of the Canucks throws a dirty hit these playoffs. Remember that you want more severe punishment.

Nowhere did I say he should be suspended til the injured player comes back, which is the argument a couple posters have used against me already. I said the suspension was woefully inadequate, which it is. In my opinion on a 1st offense for a deliberate intent to injure type play that the Keith hit was, and many other elbows to the head or other dirty plays (see that page with the 10 dirtiest plays from this season) should be a minimum of 15 to 20 game suspension. Im sorry but the way things are setup right now its a benefit to the perp and a punishment to the victim and that is just not right. Some say shut up and quit whining, but I will not this is an issue worthy of whining.

LOL I actually usually agree with this poster but this is pure ignorance...Quit whining you sound like a Keith fan. I agree a lot of things are not worth whining about however this is not one of them. This is an issue where I believe more whining is in order, it would be nice if the national media would do a little whining about it. The NHL's discipline needs to be changed plain and simple. When its actually smart strategy to target a star player with intent to injure something is seriously broken.

You're a moron. No one here actually thinks someone should be out until the injured player returns in every scenario. Obviously there needs to be limitations. For example.. with the Keith on Sedin suspension, I think Keith should be out as long as Daniel is until the end of the season AND playoffs. If Daniel is not back by the start of next season, Keith should be allowed to continue playing.

You're a moron. No one here actually thinks someone should be out until the injured player returns in every scenario. Obviously there needs to be limitations. For example.. with the Keith on Sedin suspension, I think Keith should be out as long as Daniel is until the end of the season AND playoffs. If Daniel is not back by the start of next season, Keith should be allowed to continue playing.

So now that its all but certain that Daniel will not be playing in game 1 and who knows how many more playoff games, how much more upset are you about the 5 game suspension that Keith recieved for the pre meditated elbow with intent to injure. Meanwhile Keith is suited up and ready to make an impact on his teams playoff series and he got a nice little rest at the end of the regular season to boot. What is the lesson learned here NHL discipline dept.? That its actually smart to take a cheap shot at a star player on one of the top contenders for the Stanley Cup...you might take the star player out for playoff starts meanwhile you suffer the equivalent of a time out for a kindergarten student. I'm sorry but now that its official that Daniel is going to miss some playoff time at least this suspension is that much more infuriating and makes the NHL look much more amateur and bush league.

Considering I haven't seen a single play from the Canucks this season that was anything close to the Keith hit and the only possibility I could see for this is if we meet Chicago and their "star" Keith this playoffs. And if one of "our" guys throws a blatant hit like this then yes I believe the book should be thrown at him. And who is the 5 game suspension "fair" to... sure its fair to the other players who have been suspended so they dont get upset "oh player x was suspended 5 games but player y got 15 whaaabohohooo so sad not fair!!" At some point the standards just have to change, especially on plays as blatant as this. It is not "fair" to the victims of these elbows or vicious boarding plays. Who are missing tons of time and the perpitrators are back in action after 5 games.

Archived