The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Joke That Is Nhl "discipline"

Kesler_smash

It is fair if you believe NHL supplimentary discipline is inadequate. However, I believe that based on the system put into place this year by Brendan Shannahan, the 5 game suspension is exactly fair, and shows no bias.

All I'm going to say, is remember these posts if one of the Canucks throws a dirty hit these playoffs. Remember that you want more severe punishment.

I'm through arguing with the "quit whining" crowd. I have to believe that most of the people making this argument actually like the dirty hits, elbows and boarding calls and don't want to see these types of plays gone from the NHL. They come make a weak argument then finish it off with a "quit whining" They are the type of people who want to see player knocked out for months because they probably get a little hard when they watch violent acts. Theres no changing their minds and they can keep thinking I made this post only because it was a Canuck who is injured. Its actually because Im disgusted with the NHL discipline as a whole, but no matter how many times I state that they will still call me a homer. Whatever I've made my point and they can go on thinking what they like.

Rome's 4 game suspension in the SCF last year, if what Shanahan is quoted as saying is credible (that a playoff game is the equivalent of 12 regular season games) would amount to a 48 game regular season suspension. I agreed with the Rome suspension, but I also think that hit was very different than the Keith hit, which was clearly premeditated, far more flagrant and the intent is indisputable - so is 4 games for Rome in the SCF and 5 games for Keith actually consistent?

Man, this fan base can't whine enough.

Are you saying Steckel should have been out for a year +

Bert should never play hockey again?

Just because a Canuck got hit, the rules DON"T CHANGE. Have you just started watching hockey? Let me tell you something, the length of the injury doesn't affect how long the suspension is.

Remember when fans wanted the NHL to suspend for the intent but not the result?

QUIT WHINING

The only way dangerous hits are going to stop is if the suspension is as long as the injured player is out. 5 games for Keith? He got some r&r before playoffs, who cares. The Hawks were gonna make it regardless. Obviously this idea shouldn't be applied in all situations, but it is certainly appropriate in many cases.

The bottom line is this: a slap on the wrist is not a deterrent. Until there is some form of severe repercussion for executing a dangerous play, players won't think twice before acting.

Nowhere did I say he should be suspended til the injured player comes back, which is the argument a couple posters have used against me already. I said the suspension was woefully inadequate, which it is. In my opinion on a 1st offense for a deliberate intent to injure type play that the Keith hit was, and many other elbows to the head or other dirty plays (see that page with the 10 dirtiest plays from this season) should be a minimum of 15 to 20 game suspension. Im sorry but the way things are setup right now its a benefit to the perp and a punishment to the victim and that is just not right. Some say shut up and quit whining, but I will not this is an issue worthy of whining.

5 games was sufficient for that hit. He does not have a history as a dirty player and hockey happens in micro seconds.

This isn't directly to the original poster, but just more of a general comment about a common thing I see, that being people who say "player should be suspended until the injuried player is back."

That is the stupidest thing I've ever heard, for more reasons than I care to go into. Take off the Canucks coloured glasses for a moment, and to those that believe that statement think about this. Go back to your Todd Bertuzzi loving days, by your logic then he should still not be allowed to go to his job, because that is what hockey is, his job, because Steve Moore still isn't playing hockey? It's such a nonsense concept

What part of my argument did you insult? My mind has yet to be changed. You think your lengthy paragraphs can manipulate how I think rationally?

What does the Canucks play style have to do with the example I'm trying to give? If it hasn't happened, it doesn't mean it won't happen. Can you honestly say a Canuck won't be suspended ever again?

PROPOSITION: (just thought it up)

If a player is deemed to have intetionally deliver a blow to the head, he should be given the appropriate suspension.

In addition, the player forfeits a portion of their salary for every game the victim misses. Let's say max of 82 games. e.g. The offending player makes $1.64m a season. Divide by 82 games will mean $20000 a game. If the victim misses 10 games, the offender forfeits $200,000.

Doesn't exactly have to be this method but you get the idea.

The money could go to the players relief fund or whatever they call it. This way it really hurts the offending players and you forfeit based on how much you make. This will affect fourth line and star players alike. Fourth liners don't make that much to begin with so they wouldn't want to lose anything and star players would lose out more as through this system, the more you make, the more you pay.

What do you guys think? (Though i don't see it flying with the NHLPA)

Where there is a clearly defined "intent to injure" to an unsuspecting player, the perpetrator should be suspended for as long as the "victim" is unable to play, plus a lengthy additional suspension .. that is the ONLY way this type of crap will stop .. despite what some mealy mouthed punk like "The Bun Worrier" thinks ..

Last year Matt Cooke was suspended for an identicle hit for the remainder of the regular season plus the first round of the playoffs. His history of cheapshots aside it was the right call. Look at him now, it actually sparked a huge change in him for the better because his antics caused his already short handed team to enter he playoffs at a severe disadvantage in terms of man power.

For Keith, 5 games is nothing more than an inconvenience. It's a joke. I don't like how much Shannahan has backed off from his pr-season standards. He went from being too harsh to too leniant. Each of his suspensions could easily have an extra 2 games attached to them. Keith should have received the same punishment as Cooke: remainder of the regular season plus the first round.

I didn't say you said that, I said I was directing that towards people that make that argument.

And your idea of a 15 - 20 game suspension is even more ridiculous. It's a fast moving, hard hitting game, and things happen in the blink of an eye. Thinks like McSorley, that is the kind of thing where you can say ok instant 20+ games but a play like this where the puck is moving up the wall, Keith is reacting to what he is seeing and thinking that Sedin will pick up the puck and finish his check. If that puck hits the glass and ends up at Sedin's feet, we're having a totally different conversation about not such a dirty hit but just a hit where his hands got too high. That is what I mean about a game of split second decisions.

It happened, Daniel got hurt, the suspension was adequate, hope Danny is back on the ice by Game 2 and ripipng it up for the whole cup run but people are right, let it go and stop whining.

You know it's a joke when they end up suspending players less games because playoff games are worth more. Bunch of nonsense.

You knock a player out of the playoffs and he doesn't recover any faster than in the regular season. Yet, Shanahan has stated that he says one stanley cup finals game is worth about 12 regular season game. Just get ready for some extremely questionable suspensions this playoffs. Boggles my mind that you can hurt a player in the playoffs (when things actually matter) and actually end up with a lesser punishment. No sense. These idiots need to be smacked upside of the head for not protecting the health of players.

Where there is a clearly defined "intent to injure" to an unsuspecting player, the perpetrator should be suspended for as long as the "victim" is unable to play, plus a lengthy additional suspension .. that is the ONLY way this type of crap will stop .. despite what some mealy mouthed punk like "The Bun Worrier" thinks ..

Archived