The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Joke That Is Nhl "discipline"

Kesler_smash

I have felt for several years now, in a hit intended to injure that the player be suspended for as long as the player he injured can not play. Then add the supplemental games on to that. In other words, a cost to the team of the player who intended to injure that is greater than the loss to the team of the player injured. Then add the fine to the player himself.

If you want to really ramp it up, in the case of a 2nd offence, not only does the player not play, but his place on the roster can not be filled.

If that doesn't make a player think twice, it won't belong before he's out of the league.

Which is fine, unless one believes that Borque got off too lightly as well.

Wisniewski was handed a more severe penalty, but for whatever reason, the league has since decided that they care more about the guy doing the hitting getting back in the lineup than they do eliminating the illegal hits in the first place...

Wow someone who actually gets the point. You get my +. Its obvious BunBun doesn't want the NHL to change the rules because he likes seeing dirty hits. He's entitled to his opinion but I wish he would just come out and admit this rather than making the half assed arguments he does.

It's an example. We could use Kesler if he seems more dirty to you.

An example isn't meant to be true. The hidden message is that if it was a Canuck who did this, the reactions wouldn't be the same. I know this is a Canucks message board but asking for a suspension for the entire playoffs?

Get real. It's not going to happen. You could sit here and whine all day, but at the end of the day, rules are rules. They don't change because a Canuck got hit.

Uh....... dirty hits happen. It doesn't matter what the rules are. It's going to happen because of how the game is played. You could suspend someone for an entire career and it would still happen.

The fact is, the rules aren't going to change now because it happened to a Canuck. It didn't change when the poster boy of the NHL "Sidney Crosby" was hit, so why would it now?

Why waste time debating on something that isn't going to change?

Which is fine, unless one believes that Borque got off too lightly as well.

Wisniewski was handed a more severe penalty, but for whatever reason, the league has since decided that they care more about the guy doing the hitting getting back in the lineup than they do eliminating the illegal hits in the first place...

To those who say Shanahan has been inconsistent with his suspensions.

Most of the illegal checks to the head this season have been no more then 3 games for first time offenders.

So, if you said Bourque and Keith got off easy, you're wrong.

This is more complicated than you suggest. You need to be more distinct about your proposed penalty system.

The NHL is a sport which tolerates fighting. Its a sport that allows hitting, physical contests of all sorts. Technically most net battles are against the rules, away from the puck. The enforcement is designed to allow the physical contests as part of the game. Actions are easier to measure than intent, or even their repercussions. For example we don't know how many come back from concussions early at the expense of their own safety. So if the penalty is a suspension in line with a return from injury for the victim, we are still vulnerable.

Similarly, the injury effects are lasting; Horton is out currently having a subsequent concussion. No doubt its more serious because of his original hit by Rome?

FTR, I doubt Kieth targeted Sedin because he was a star player; he was pissed off because Sedin himself had given him a lesser, or minor, cheap shot. The real solution is probably getting rid of those cheap shots. Same goes (much more so) for Marchands on Sedin. That to me was the ultimate embarrassment. Unpunished; these have the potential to grow into a Bertuzzi / Moore situation. Boychuck on Raymond was illegal but at the time people thought it was minor. Minor things have a way of growing into bigger problems. My objective look is that their needs to be a supplemental way of getting rid of these "minor" infractions, possibly fines after the fact?

But whining because it was your teams player is just homerism; and needs to be exposed as nothing more. I hate it when my kids whine; oh "she hit me," "she took my crayons." You say the NHL's discipline needs to be changed?

Put an objective solution on the table!

Or quit whining yourself!

LOL I actually usually agree with this poster but this is pure ignorance...Quit whining you sound like a Keith fan. I agree a lot of things are not worth whining about however this is not one of them. This is an issue where I believe more whining is in order, it would be nice if the national media would do a little whining about it. The NHL's discipline needs to be changed plain and simple. When its actually smart strategy to target a star player with intent to injure something is seriously broken.

This is more complicated than you suggest. You need to be more distinct about your proposed penalty system.

The NHL is a sport which tolerates fighting. Its a sport that allows hitting, physical contests of all sorts. Technically most net battles are against the rules, away from the puck. The enforcement is designed to allow the physical contests as part of the game. Actions are easier to measure than intent, or even their repercussions. For example we don't know how many come back from concussions early at the expense of their own safety. So if the penalty is a suspension in line with a return from injury for the victim, we are still vulnerable.

Similarly, the injury effects are lasting; Horton is out currently having a subsequent concussion. No doubt its more serious because of his original hit by Rome?

FTR, I doubt Kieth targeted Sedin because he was a star player; he was pissed off because Sedin himself had given him a lesser, or minor, cheap shot. The real solution is probably getting rid of those cheap shots. Same goes (much more so) for Marchands on Sedin. That to me was the ultimate embarrassment. Unpunished; these have the potential to grow into a Bertuzzi / Moore situation. Boychuck on Raymond was illegal but at the time people thought it was minor. Minor things have a way of growing into bigger problems. My objective look is that their needs to be a supplemental way of getting rid of these "minor" infractions, possibly fines after the fact?

But whining because it was your teams player is just homerism; and needs to be exposed as nothing more. I hate it when my kids whine; oh "she hit me," "she took my crayons." You say the NHL's discipline needs to be changed?

Put an objective solution on the table!

Or quit whining yourself!

Archived