Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shift-4

Canuckaholics Anonymous

192 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, name's DW23 (initals of my real name)

I follow the Canucks since 2003, the year I was getting my English certificate at PLI. I am from Switzerland and still follow the Canucks. I may not know everything about Canucks history or every player but I consider myself a "hardcore" fan, I mean who'd get up and watch games on a weekday over here just to see the boys play?

proudest moment was in 2004 (or 2005) when I had tickets (I think vs. the Avs) for the last season game. The Canucks were still in the race for the playoffs when I boarded the plane. By the time I arrived in Van they lost the second last game (I think CGY) and were out of it. I anyway went to the last home game and GM Place was quiet....then some guy came on the jumbotron with a sign. It read "We Will Rise Again" and the whole place went nuts.

At that point I knew I will always be a Canucks fan.

I am DW23 and this team deserves a Cup!

Hi, my name is Wilbur and I'm a Canuckoholic.

I remember, as a kid, my dad taping games for me on the radio so I could listen to them the next day. I also remember the agonizing wait between the monthly BCTV games (we are sooooooo spoiled now).

My fandom was cemented when the plucky Canucks almost eliminated a powerhouse Calgary team in '89. Tanti and Smyl in overtime, oh so close. I still think that winning goal was kicked in.

I remember scanning the hockey almanacs for players that played with the Canucks in order to create a spreadsheet for stats of players that played on the Canucks. I also remember finally being able to complete that spreadsheet all the way back to 1970-71 once the Hockey Encyclopedia came out. There I learned about players like Don Lever and Chris Oddleifson. I maintain that spreadsheet to today even though all the stats are easy to look up on the internet. I dutifully update the spreadsheet after every game (hey, some people count sheep to get to sleep...I count Henrik Sedin assists).

I remember being so despondent after the Canucks lost in '94 I couldn't get off the couch and change the channel. I believe there was a documentary on Afghanistan on CBC after their hockey coverage ended.

Favorites over the years would have to include: Tanti, Momesso, Ronning, H. Sedin, Ohlund, and McLean

Hi, my name is Wilbur and I'm a Canuckoholic.

I remember, as a kid, my dad taping games for me on the radio so I could listen to them the next day. I also remember the agonizing wait between the monthly BCTV games (we are sooooooo spoiled now).

My fandom was cemented when the plucky Canucks almost eliminated a powerhouse Calgary team in '89. Tanti and Smyl in overtime, oh so close. I still think that winning goal was kicked in.

memories of Bernie Pascall :sick:

Damn rights that goal was kicked in................that is a Canuckaholic rallying cry "OTTO KICKED IT IN" ::D

I just wanted to say, I have read every single last word on this thread, and I have never felt more sure of the team and fans I have fallen behind to support in thick or thin since 2002.

Amazing thread, <<that doesn't even cut it.

So true .. this may be the best thread on CDC .. I come back to it and re-read some folks "admissions of addiction" just to re-assure myself that we are all Canucks in our heart, even if we sometimes get mean about it .. thanks again, Shifty, for starting it all .. :canucks:

SHIFT-4!!!!!!!

OMG!!!! You explained how I feel exactly and except for coming on in '82, that's my story as well.

Are you a professional blogger? (You should be)

Seriously, I thought I was the only one, and now I read this masterpiece and realize there are others, there are people who understand.

Almost brought tears to my eyes.

Seriously Shift-4, thank you!

I am Dr. Hockey, and I am a Canuckaholic!!!!

SHIFT-4!!!!!!!

OMG!!!! You explained how I feel exactly and except for coming on in '82, that's my story as well.

Are you a professional blogger? (You should be)

Seriously, I thought I was the only one, and now I read this masterpiece and realize there are others, there are people who understand.

Almost brought tears to my eyes.

Seriously Shift-4, thank you!

I am Dr. Hockey, and I am a Canuckaholic!!!!

:blush: thanks :)

Nope, not a blogger

Just felt the urge to throw all that out there

Glad you joined in on the fun :)

I'm Jagermeister, and I don't have a problem.

The judge just told me I had to attend these meetings.

I'm Jagermeister, and I don't have a problem.

The judge just told me I had to attend these meetings.

Don't worry son............it's safe here ::D

anchorman-scotch.gif

Oops....wrong group help thread. :blush:

Hello, my name is Gumballthechewy (that is my real name) and I am a Canuckaholic.

I was first introduced to this highly addictive substance when I was only 5 years old, during the great run of '94, and I've been addicted ever since. The strange thing is I don't want to be rehabilitated, I want to keep going through the highs and lows that is the Canucks. Call me crazy but I enjoy the high it brings and I never want to get off this crazy roller coaster win or lose.

My name is Gumballthechewy, thanks for listening.

anchorman-scotch.gif

Oops....wrong group help thread. :blush:

We all know that being a Canuckaholic usually drives us to that other issue too ::D

I've been a Canucks fan since I was a little kid. My father grew up in Edmonton during the glory days of the Oilers, and when my parents moved out here from Calgary when I was 1 year old, my father brought his love of hockey with him.

Saturday night was always Hockey Night in Canada for us. My brother and I would always play hockey against our dad in our living room. I was always "Mini McLean" and my brother was "Baby Bure", names lovingly given to us by my mother. My mom would always make a special soup for us when we played living room hockey, and hilariously the soup eventually was given the name "Hockey Soup", haha. Amazingly, we didn't break any windows playing in our living room.

1994 is really what cemented for me what would grow into a lifelong addiction and dedication to this team that sometimes borders on lunacy. "The Save", Bure's near-offside (or actually offside, perhaps), "He'll play, you know he'll play", and Lafayette's heart-breaking post are all moments in time that have been irreversibly etched in my memory. I hated him then, and will always hate Mark Messier for breaking Linden's ribs. When the Canucks lost in 1994, I cried like a baby. I was forlorn for weeks.

Suffering through the lean years afterwards was hard. Watching Messier come and take the C from Linden incensed me to no end. Watching my favourite Canuck of all time getting traded away broke my heart. Dark days for Canucks fans.

And then, out of the ashes of the 1994 team, I had the joy of watching one of the most dominant offensive lines this franchise has ever seen. The West Coast Express really was incredible to watch. A perfect blend of speed, skill, and power. Unfortunately things just couldn't seem to go our way. The Bertuzzi-Moore incident was a black eye for this franchise that would haunt it for years to come.

Suffering through the years between the WCE and the modern-day Canucks was tough. Watching the Canucks play the trap and boring, Lemaire-esque hockey was brutal, haha.

Fast forward to the cup run to the finals. Burrows scoring the OT winner in game 7 against the Sh*thawks was one hell of a moment. I was yelling so hard that I actually blacked out for a couple seconds, fell backward, and smashed my head into the door behind me. There's a bit of a dent in it, lol.

That entire season and playoffs just seemed magical. It seemed like everything was falling into the place. From the stanchion to timely tying goals, it just seemed like the stars would align.

Alas, it was not to be, and I had to witness first-hand the stupidity of so-called fans destroying my city. Our city. Losing to the Bruins at home in game 7 was bad enough, but the city's tarnished reputation was adding insult to injury. Sad, really.

And now here we are, again anxiously awaiting another season, scrutinizing every single move by Gillis, sifting through moronic trade proposals, and spending way too much time on CDC.

Hello everyone, my name is VMR and I am a canuckaholic.

I feel a game day is not complete unless I am wearing some sort of Canucks logo. I will put on Canuck socks or shirts even if they have not been washed.

I have been a fan for 25 years and tried not to miss a game. My wife watches me go through hell and tries to help me keep my composure. During the playoffs run last year, I would start listening to games in the car on the way home from work and finish watching them on TV. My Daughter "who is 4 now" knows I love the nucks and is supportive of my issues. I have bought her many Canuck toys, clothes and jewelry so she can become a fan like her Dad. During game 7 vs the Blackhawks last year, she saw that I was little more stressed than usual and went upstairs and got me her Canucks Bear to help me relax. Of course I hugged her and cuddled her and the bear. Needless to say, they won that game.

I kept that bear beside me or in the room where I was watching the games for Nashville, Sharks and most of the Boston Series. I had to go away on business and had to watch Game 7 in my hotel room. Before I left for my trip my daughter told me to not forget to pack the bear. OF COURSE I WAS GOING BRING MY BEAR WITH ME. I didn't and you know the rest.

True Story!

I had to get that off my chest.... Maybe I can sleep now. LOL

PS: I have a hard time looking at the bear.

My Name is VMR and I am a canuckaholic.

It's not your fault, the classic rock radio station in Prince George played "more than a feeling" on the day of game 7. The bear was with you in spirit while 99.3 The Drive took a big dump on British Columbia. I will forever blame them for June 15th 2011.

My name is CanucskDominateOnceAgain, and Im a Canuckaholic. It all started in 2002 I was 12 years old i started to like hockey, knew the game, but didnt know who to cheer for. Actually before 2002, I had a pair of pjs, that had the Canucks Logo, and I was drawn to that logo. Anyway 2002 1st round of the playoffs, nothing better to do, decided to flip on CBC, and I say the Canucks, Redwings series. I saw nazzy, bert, mo, and just the way the team played, I thought, "Wow these guys are good." I admired there work ethic. Now 10 years later at 22 years old, Still a proud canucks fan. In fact when I get a cut, thats what I bleed, green, blue, and white. In fact as a Canucks Fan living in Alberta, I have met many other canucks fans, here in alberta, I even helped a few oiler fans see the light, and the change their ways, to that of the Canucks. To date, that number is at 5. Yes, its not easy converting those oiler fans, and flames fans, and save them from the darkness of hockey, and come see the light of the Canucks. So if your a canucks fan who lives in Alberta, all I got to say, is help your fellow hockey fans, in realizing that they dont have to suffer with the oilers, and flames, let them know about Gods Team, the Canucks. GO CANUCKS!

My name is VMR and I am a canuckaholic.

The Fans were robbed during the Lock Out, but I can't wait to see the nucks play on Saturday.

My name is MonkeyBusiness and I am a canuckaholic.

Although I am not a stat person, I am a huge fan of this team. Some you may not call me a true fan because of it. To those of you that think that way....... Too bad I am here to stay. I want nothing more than to see this team win it all and enjoy the victory with a sports town that has been waiting a long time.

My name is MonkeyBusiness and I am a canuckaholic.

The Fans were robbed during the Lock Out, but I can't wait to see the nucks play on Saturday.

+1

Best thread bump EVER!!! :ph34r:

My name is Shift-4 and I am a Canuckaholic.

Looking forward to Saturday night :towel:

Will be present for all meetings this season ::D