The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canuckaholics Anonymous

Shift-4

I finally went and pulled my dad into my room and asked him to show me where the Canucks logo was... He looked down at me and told me that Vancouver had never won the cup. I got really upset and cried, yelling about how it was unfair that all those other teams had a cup but Vancouver didn't.

From that day, I have wanted a cup for the Canucks. It was 1980.. I'm still that little kid who thinks it's not fair.

That is pretty cute

SIgh,  man do I need this. If this run goes long I'm going to need a support group.

My story starts when I moved to Vancouver from the maritimes. This is my earliest memory of being a fan of the Canucks.

I was 6 years old and was instantly a Canucks fan, annoying my father who was born in Montreal and was a diehard habs fan. My mom bought me some cereal one day and there was a prize inside.  We all know that it's mostly crap,  but this time there was a full sized wall poster in a box of honeycombs. The poster was  a graphical listing of every Stanley Cup winner in history. It had a year by year list with all the team logos.

My mom helped me put the poster up on my wall above my bed,  and I sat there looking at it for hours.  I checked every logo again and again,  but couldn't find the Canucks logo anywhere.  I finally went and pulled my dad into my room and asked him to show me where the Canucks logo was...   He looked down at me and told me that Vancouver had never won the cup.  I got really upset and cried,  yelling about how it was unfair that all those other teams had a cup but Vancouver didn't.

From that day,  I have wanted a cup for the Canucks. It was 1980.. I'm still that little kid who thinks it's not fair.

You honestly brought a little tear to my eye.

You honestly brought a little tear to my eye.

It's a good memory for me now I suppose. I really wish I could go back in time before I felt so bitter.

I'm at the point now where anything less than a cup is failure, and that is messed up. The day will come again when this team isn't competitive at the level we've been lucky to see the last 5 years, and I'll be wishing just to get into the playoffs, much less win them.

Telling that story at least revives some of that pure love. I want the cup so badly, but I need to let myself enjoy being where we are now. Winning the 2nd presidents trophy in a row helped a lot. It really made me realise we have to love this team that is the best in the league while we can.

My name is Jamstyles.

And I am a Canuckaholic.

This thread is awesome and Shift's post started us off really well. I'm going to focus on one item rather than the full breadth and depth of my Canuckaholism:

At the beginning of 1992, my family decided we would head for "greener pastures" (economy-wise at the time) and make the move to Calgary during the upcoming summer. What? You mean the land of kicked-in goals and denied dreams? Cuts like a knife mom & dad, cuts like a knife. The fact that I loved Lanny's primo mustache made me wonder if I'd slowly acquiesce to the rest as well. Oh, dread.

I needed a sign. Something to tell me all would be OK and give me the strength to bear what was to come. I REALLY wanted to continue to bleed black red yellow (blue green...), but at that age was scared and doubted my own strength, commitment, testicular fortitude. It had been a rough & tumble 11 years of being a fan (or at least as far back as I could remember in those 11 years), and I knew it wasn't going to get any easier in enemy territory.

March 1, 1992.

In my 11th year. Actually on the day of my friend's 11th birthday party. We were eating a Canucks-decorated cake. Watching it unfold before us on a HUGE tv screen. 1,2. 3,4,5. 11.

We all told him our team did it for his birthday. God forbid I ever stoop so low as to steal someone else's presents on their birthday, but in my heart I claimed this one for me.

It was my nugget, my first piece to wave in front of all the new kids and strangers and meanies and all those who would talk down to an 11-year old in Canucks sweats in a foreign unfriendly land but repping from the heart (via his Canucks sweats and his no-back-down responses to their chiding) the one team he loved. The one team he would love forever.

1994 hurt. Bure soothed. Messier hurt. Linden soothed. Goalie problems hurt. WCE soothed. Moore incident hurt. Sedins soothed.

All the hurt enhanced by being in Calgary and having to take it from all comers.

Numerous things in the last few years have soothed, excited, enhanced my Canuckaholism.

2011 Game 7 hurt.

And Oh man, it's been a tough 10 months being a Nucks fan in Calgary. But I don't want to say my hurt was more or less because of this. This was one for all of us. I wept with all my Canuckaholic brothers and sisters, Vancouver and worldwide.

I know my team - our team, our Canucks, we are all Canucks - will sooth me in numerous ways, but even if for some confounding reason they never did ever again....

I am still Jamstyles.

And I will forever be a Canuckaholic.

(Calgary - get ready to hate on my jersey and Canuckaholism for 2 months, I'm ready...)

My name is Jamstyles.

And I am a Canuckaholic.

This thread is awesome and Shift's post started us off really well. I'm going to focus on one item rather than the full breadth and depth of my Canuckaholism:

At the beginning of 1992, my family decided we would head for "greener pastures" (economy-wise at the time) and make the move to Calgary during the upcoming summer. What? You mean the land of kicked-in goals and denied dreams? Cuts like a knife mom & dad, cuts like a knife. The fact that I loved Lanny's primo mustache made me wonder if I'd slowly acquiesce to the rest as well. Oh, dread.

I needed a sign. Something to tell me all would be OK and give me the strength to bear what was to come. I REALLY wanted to continue to bleed black red yellow (blue green...), but at that age was scared and doubted my own strength, commitment, testicular fortitude. It had been a rough & tumble 11 years of being a fan (or at least as far back as I could remember in those 11 years), and I knew it wasn't going to get any easier in enemy territory.

March 1, 1992.

In my 11th year. Actually on the day of my friend's 11th birthday party. We were eating a Canucks-decorated cake. Watching it unfold before us on a HUGE tv screen. 1,2. 3,4,5. 11.

We all told him our team did it for his birthday. God forbid I ever stoop so low as to steal someone else's presents on their birthday, but in my heart I claimed this one for me.

It was my nugget, my first piece to wave in front of all the new kids and strangers and meanies and all those who would talk down to an 11-year old in Canucks sweats in a foreign unfriendly land but repping from the heart (via his Canucks sweats and his no-back-down responses to their chiding) the one team he loved. The one team he would love forever.

1994 hurt. Bure soothed. Messier hurt. Linden soothed. Goalie problems hurt. WCE soothed. Moore incident hurt. Sedins soothed.

All the hurt enhanced by being in Calgary and having to take it from all comers.

Numerous things in the last few years have soothed, excited, enhanced my Canuckaholism.

2011 Game 7 hurt.

And Oh man, it's been a tough 10 months being a Nucks fan in Calgary. But I don't want to say my hurt was more or less because of this. This was one for all of us. I wept with all my Canuckaholic brothers and sisters, Vancouver and worldwide.

I know my team - our team, our Canucks, we are all Canucks - will sooth me in numerous ways, but even if for some confounding reason they never did ever again....

I am still Jamstyles.

And I will forever be a Canuckaholic.

(Calgary - get ready to hate on my jersey and Canuckaholism for 2 months, I'm ready...)

Great post, I'm sorry you have to live in Calgary. :sadno:

I have a great memory of being in Calagry for a game just around xmas when the WCE was in full effect. I think we beat them 5-2 and I got to wear my jersey into the saddledome and get razzed mercilessly. I may hate the team, but man is that a nice building to watch a game in.

My name is Stick-in-Rink

And I am a Canuckaholic.

I'm significantly much younger than many here on CDC. I was never able to enjoy the 94 series, but I was sure to understand everything I possibly could about the series when I got much more into hockey. I technically began to watch hockey in the WCE era. Being born and bred from Vancouver and still a kid, I was just mindlessly flipping channels on the television when hockey was on. I was about to change it when I saw Naslund score a crazy wrister (I can not remember what game) and then I was like woaah this is interesting, I held on to hockey and never let it go after that. My family has never gotten into hockey, in fact I have gotten them into hockey after. I became a huge Luongo fan when he was brought here in 06-07, and will never forget his first play-off game.

As sad as it is, it's only been a couple years or so when I actually began to fully understand the game of hockey. But it doesn't really matter I guess, because I'll know I'll be breathing and living this sport and team for a very long time. People usually dub me as the chick who likes hockey, but they don't really understand what hockey means to me. It's not just a matter of watching the game and going to sleep. It's a true passion and I can't really begin to explain what it means to be. But I'm glad that I discovered these forums (as crazy as they are) not too long ago, to actually have someone to talk to about hockey.

My name is Yogolol

And I am a Canuckaholic

I am however the type of Canuckalholic that everyone hates, one that started being one last year starting at game 1 of the finals. I did not care for hockey at all before this point, I knew nothing about the Canucks or any team for that matter. I heard that Vancouver was in the finals and ever since the Olympics I always saw Vancouver as the best city in Canada (this coming from an Ontario boy) and I decided "what the hell, I like Vancouver lets watch a game and take it from there" and boy did I love it. After the loss I was not heartbroken as most here but I still was hurt and I couldn't wait for the season to start again. Now I learned everything I could about the Canucks and I'm ready to watch the NHL playoffs from the beginning for the first time.

My name is Konn Smythe.

My memory of the 94 playoffs is just a few flashes here and there, and I didn't really pay attention to the Canucks until 2002 when they played Detroit and even beat them twice. I don't know how I didn't get into it earlier than I did considering how all-consuming it is to me now, and since 02 and that ever-depressing centre ice goal, I have been a Canuckaholic!

I've tried explaining it to my wife, but she just doesn't understand, though she does a fantastic job enabling me and even pacifying me when necessary. It really is more than just a game that I watch, or sometimes play, and especially this time of year when the excitement and anticipation of upcoming games is through the roof, it becomes even more.

That goal by Burrows still gives me shivers, and last year's finals are still something that can put when in a funk when I dwell on it.

Here's to our boys,

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

I can't remember not being a Canucks fan. I was 4 when they came into the league and as long as I can remember I've been cheering them on. My earliest memories are laying in bed with my transistor radio under my pillow turned down really low so I didn't wake up my 2 brothers I shared a room with.

My favorite memories would be in 94 when my brothers and I took turns taking neices and nephews to playoff games. After this long all I can hope is to see them hoist the cup before I'm gone.

And yes I am a Canuckaholic

Might as well.

Hello everyone, I'm one-x (And I live in T.O).

I was born in a household of leaf fans and at first (I would say until like the age of 6) I was one of them. Eventually, I started staying up later for the Western games on HNIC and that's when I was exposed to the Canucks. I always knew I liked them better, but I just never wanted to admit it, especially in a house full of laugh fans. Eventually in 2007, the canucks acquired my favourite player, Roberto Luongo. It was at this point where I realized I couldn't lie to myself any longer, I was a canuck fan. At first everybody called me a bandwagoner or straight up an idiot. Eventually we got better and better, until we got to last year. The cup run. Of course I was loving it, rubbing it in all of my family's faces...until game 7 of the SCF. The fallout from that was just awful. I got mocked every time I stepped out of my room. Everything from "I hear a choking sound coming from the west" to the sarcastic "Luuu". I really hope our boys can pull it off, it would erase a lot of pain and shut everybody up for good!

I may not have been watching the canucks as long as some of you others, but it doesn't mean im any less passionate.

I'm one-x and I'm a Canuckaholic :D

P.s. I flipped a table when Burr scored last year as I celebrated and I broke a chair after I saw chara lifting the cup

My name is Yogolol

And I am a Canuckaholic

I am however the type of Canuckalholic that everyone hates, one that started being one last year starting at game 1 of the finals. I did not care for hockey at all before this point, I knew nothing about the Canucks or any team for that matter. I heard that Vancouver was in the finals and ever since the Olympics I always saw Vancouver as the best city in Canada (this coming from an Ontario boy) and I decided "what the hell, I like Vancouver lets watch a game and take it from there" and boy did I love it. After the loss I was not heartbroken as most here but I still was hurt and I couldn't wait for the season to start again. Now I learned everything I could about the Canucks and I'm ready to watch the NHL playoffs from the beginning for the first time.

Just think of 10-20 years from now when you have so many glorious Canuck memories.

One does not need to grow up a Canucks fan to be a true fan, I am glad you have found this addiction, welcome.

Archived