The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My Plead To Fans, Especially Those At The Game (Luongo)

**ThumbsUp**

The endless CDC Luongo threads, and unforgiving water-cooler banter on days after a bad Luongo performance have lead me to suggest, even plead, one thing to Canucks fans: Please don't boo Luongo - it will only make it worse.

I understand as fans we pay the money, we have a right to do whatever we want (within reason) and all the rest that goes with that argument. At the same time, AV and Gillis have made it clear that Luongo is on a short leash this year and Shneidy will be ready to come in; Therefore, there is absolutely no purpose in Booing our starting goaltender (and will be for the next 10 years) unless you want further failure.

Lou has shown to be an emotional goaltender - especially in the playoffs, and if he lets in a goal (which happens! even bad ones can get past all goalies in the playoffs [see Brodeur, Roy, etc.]), following it up with Boos and calls for his head are not going to help our team succeed. As fans, especially if we want the cup to finally make it to Vancouver, we need to support our goalie all-the-more when he has a poor performance to give him the confidence to bounce back.

So I plead to you true Canucks fans, especially those attending playoff games, let's stand behind our goalies no matter what, and let the coaches make the decisions on who is best fit to start the games.

Funny, I was thinking of making a thread just like this.

Personally, I think Schneider is the better goaltender, but Luongo is obviously still very good.

While I think debates about who should start are warranted and useful, I think any disagreement or resentment about the goaltending situation should be postponed until the off-season.

Like the OP says, Luongo is an integral part of the team at the moment, whether you like him or not, and he needs support and confidence during this emotional wringer that is the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Be supportive! Both in the arena and on the streets.

Guest BuckFoston

The fact that this thread even needs to be made says a lot about the fanbase. I could maybe see some boos if this were the finals and everyone is hungry and on edge, but if anyone gets booed game 1 of round 1 then I want nothing to do with such a fanbase.

See, the way I see it you can't just pull Lu after an average game where he lets in a couple of bad goals. If he gets lit up, then Schnieds in next game. But for us to expect Lu to be making big saves and make 35+ saves every single game is unreasonable. He is going to need to be helped out a few times too and same goes for Schnieds.

Thomas last playoffs just got real hot against us, he was average against TB and MTL but they stuck with him and helped him out. Can't just sit Lu after a loss or a game where he was average but not crap. We need to be realistic here.

Funny, I was thinking of making a thread just like this.

Personally, I think Schneider is the better goaltender, but Luongo is obviously still very good.

While I think debates about who should start are warranted and useful, I think any disagreement or resentment about the goaltending situation should be postponed until the off-season.

Like the OP says, Luongo is an integral part of the team at the moment, whether you like him or not, and he needs support and confidence during this emotional wringer that is the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Be supportive! Both in the arena and on the streets.

It's stupid to boo the players that fans supposedly support. Actually, it's kind of ironic just saying that, because booing isn't a form of support. Anyways, I'm not able to go to any of the games, but I think it's ridiculous to boo the players and I won't take part. Especially to single out a player. When fans boo just Luongo, I feel kinda bad for him because most of the time it's not specifically him playing poorly, it's the entire team.

Guest BuckFoston

I completely agree with you, and may have jumped the gun on the thread - I'm not saying the fans will necessarily boo him if he plays bad in game 1, but from previous years experience Luongo does not seem to respond well to negative appraisals of any sort - fan base, media, his kids, etc.

I also just used Booing as an example, but even just overtly complaining about a goaltenders performance enough can lead to critical mass and convince media-types that there is a story there that needs to be written/broadcast/etc.

Archived