The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bitz Upcoming Suspension

Harbinger

I throw full support behind the comments on this thread. Shea Weber is a goof and should have been suspended for at least 3-4 games for the malicious attack on Zetterberg. However, we all know who was at the game right? Bettman. He chose to be in Nashville and must have surely seen that. Still Brendan (i'm a puppet) Shanagland gives him a $2500 fine? Really. I'm sure that's going to affect his Christmas. I hope Nashville loses.

Byron Bitz's hit was late, just barely and he explained himself. Yes it was a mistake, and might be suspendable, but much less of an offence than Weber's attack. Frankly, Shea Weber is another example of the kind of player that makes the NHL embarrassing. He has boarded Hansen before and after Zetterberg's hit it's clear that he knows what he can get away with......anything.

The NHL is an embarrassment in the way it handles player safety. Shanahan is a joke.

The sad part of this being reviewed is that this hit is no worse than any of the hits in the playoffs that i've seen over the years. The league will likely try to make an example out of him, but really, it won't change a single thing. Cheers.

TOML

I may be of the minority but I believe Bitz had his elbow at his side, he didn't leave his feet, he didn't charge, I don't understand why people think its such a nasty hit..

Shea Weber on the other hand...

can't wait to see Shanahan's report on Weber and Bitz.. I personally think he s#!t the bed on Duncan Keiths ruling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M25I5rtFjiA

although the hit possibly cost us the game......I approve. I don't think there was intent to injure. also i don't think he was targeting anybody. he is a big guy, throwing his weight around in the playoffs, who happened to get unlucky with a hit.....accidently. keep him in the lineup, after he serves his suspension......if there even is one.

He's going to get 1 game because he knocked Clifford into next season and he's an easy mark to suspend, but if you watch the reverse angle it's barely even boarding. Clifford is skating parallel to the boards he just had his back swivelled away.

I throw full support behind the comments on this thread. Shea Weber is a goof and should have been suspended for at least 3-4 games for the malicious attack on Zetterberg. However, we all know who was at the game right? Bettman. He chose to be in Nashville and must have surely seen that. Still Brendan (i'm a puppet) Shanagland gives him a $2500 fine? Really. I'm sure that's going to affect his Christmas. I hope Nashville loses.

Byron Bitz's hit was late, just barely and he explained himself. Yes it was a mistake, and might be suspendable, but much less of an offence than Weber's attack. Frankly, Shea Weber is another example of the kind of player that makes the NHL embarrassing. He has boarded Hansen before and after Zetterberg's hit it's clear that he knows what he can get away with......anything.

The NHL is an embarrassment in the way it handles player safety. Shanahan is a joke.

Should Bitz be suspended for that? Yep, even though the hit is arguable I'd say yes, he should have the book thrown at him.

Should Weber be suspended for his? Absolutely NO DOUBT. There are few cases when hits are displayed in an absolute text book manner, and Webers hit was TEXTBOOK malicious, no different than Keith's run at Daniel. You can see the intent to injure as plain as day.

Let me put it in a better light for those whinging and crying about homerism... if Bitz pulled off that Weber hit I'd be on this board calling for him to sit out the entire playoffs, Canuck or not, star player or not.

What so many fail to see in situations like this? Hits like Webers, these hits are perfectly obvious, plainly cut and dried, undoubtedly black + white. Yet such iron clad and infallible evidence is only a very tiny part of how the NHL will dictate it's punitive policies because they base their rules more on favoritism than fairness. Weber is a franchise player, so he most likely gets the nod. Bitz is a 2 strikes against player so he most likely gets the size 12 boot. Being a Canuck and being inconsequential to revenue, he's buggered twice, and that is a sad frikin commentary on this league.

The officiating in the NHL, from the very top levels down to the linesmen, it's a bloody cruel joke and it's killing the validity of this sport.

What do we see in this, the very beginning of the first round of the 2012 playoffs? There is already incontrovertible and obvious VIDEO evidence of the bias that exists inherently in this NHL's leadership. Cripes, if you presented evidence like this in a court of law there would be nothing more to do but hand down the guilty verdict. The NHL's top brass should be held on conspiracy charges IMO. These people are dictating how this game gets played depending wholly on which markets can provide the league with more ad revenue and fans. Fairness be damned. The NHL is caressing and courting the US money and market, as per usual. This is just Boston vs Vancouver all over again, on a league-wide level. Anyone who can look at those 3 videos and NOT see the injustice and blatant favoritism is just about as dumb as a sack of hammers.

Be on notice, if you are a star in the NHL and you target another star, it is open season, and you can do what you want without fear of suspension.

The only reason Bitz was suspended is because Shanny is taking so much flack for not handling the Weber hit better. Besides, Bitz isn't a star, so he is expendable.

The amount of energy that Bitz delivered in that hit is more powerful than Weber's face slam if you consider Bitz weight and the speed he was coming at. It was very dangerous. However, not a huge loss for LA because Clifford is not a key player, not many points.

Should Bitz be suspended for that? Yep, even though the hit is arguable I'd say yes, he should have the book thrown at him.

Should Weber be suspended for his? Absolutely NO DOUBT. There are few cases when hits are displayed in an absolute text book manner, and Webers hit was TEXTBOOK malicious, no different than Keith's run at Daniel. You can see the intent to injure as plain as day.

Let me put it in a better light for those whinging and crying about homerism... if Bitz pulled off that Weber hit I'd be on this board calling for him to sit out the entire playoffs, Canuck or not, star player or not.

What so many fail to see in situations like this? Hits like Webers, these hits are perfectly obvious, plainly cut and dried, undoubtedly black + white. Yet such iron clad and infallible evidence is only a very tiny part of how the NHL will dictate it's punitive policies because they base their rules more on favoritism than fairness. Weber is a franchise player, so he most likely gets the nod. Bitz is a 2 strikes against player so he most likely gets the size 12 boot. Being a Canuck and being inconsequential to revenue, he's buggered twice, and that is a sad frikin commentary on this league.

The officiating in the NHL, from the very top levels down to the linesmen, it's a bloody cruel joke and it's killing the validity of this sport.

What do we see in this, the very beginning of the first round of the 2012 playoffs? There is already incontrovertible and obvious VIDEO evidence of the bias that exists inherently in this NHL's leadership. Cripes, if you presented evidence like this in a court of law there would be nothing more to do but hand down the guilty verdict. The NHL's top brass should be held on conspiracy charges IMO. These people are dictating how this game gets played depending wholly on which markets can provide the league with more ad revenue and fans. Fairness be damned. The NHL is caressing and courting the US money and market, as per usual. This is just Boston vs Vancouver all over again, on a league-wide level. Anyone who can look at those 3 videos and NOT see the injustice and blatant favoritism is just about as dumb as a sack of hammers.

Archived