The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bitz Upcoming Suspension

Harbinger

WHat a group, we whine Keith didn't get enough games for his hit on Sedin then try to say this hit doesn't deserve to be looked at? NHL needs to set a standard in order to prevent Sedin/Naslund/Raymond hits from happening.

Here is my terrible Microsoft Paint screen caps of the hit: to me it shows nothing suspension worthy. He doesn't leave his feet, he doesn't target the head, his elbow is at the boards level below the head for most of the hit, and goes up in the aftermath of the collision, and to my eyes it appears as though he was trying to hit in the front of the shoulder of the King's player, but couldn't as the player turned into boards rather than out away from boards. Just my opinion: penalty call, not a suspension call. Here is my caps from the video, they are ugly and just thrown

together now.

EDIT: even now I look again at cap 1 and cap 2: Bitz slowed down and turned away from Clifford you can see that contact is just about to occur in frame 2, and bitz has slowed down from frame 1 and his left skate is turning into the boards, not doing into Clifford while his right skate is picked into the ice, which as anyone who has skated before will tell you stops forward momentum rather well. I am not a Bitz apologist, I think he shouldn't be on our playoff roster, but I do not think this is a suspension worthy play.

BitzHit.jpg

Most hockey hits result in a carry-thru where the arms come up .. if THAT was criteria for a penalty, Phaneuf would have a reservation in the penalty box all the time .. I thought it was a reckless hit with some responsibility resting on Clifford for scrunching down .. :)

Vancouver finally gets a tough guy and half the fans ready to lynch him for playing aggressive.

what a joke. one mistake and the hyenas ready to pounce while giving Mason Raymond more chances than any Canuck in recent memory.

This wasn't intent to injure or a cheapshot,

it was an honest mistake by a guy told to hit everything in sight.

Clifford's turns to the glass and lowers his head.

5 minutes was enough, the penalty pretty much killed us last night.

Bitz should stay. After Kesler's diving performance last night the whistles will be put away ,we will need Bitz and Kassian in the lineup, especially in Game 3-4 when LA is home and feeling extra tough.

Hopefully Daniel comes back , Raymond sits and we get our act together cause that was a total joke last night.

Wow! Don't see a suspension in the that hit at all. Matter of fact that would have been a two minute penalty for boarding or maybe a hit to the hit in the last three weeks of the regular season. Seen MUCH worse. My guess is the call on the ice and time served.

:)

Just watched the Weber "hit" on You Tube. The first punch/elbow to the head is bad enough but then he actually puts his hand on the back of Zetterberg's helmet and slams him face first into the boards. Looks like he had his arm drawn back for a third punch as well just before the ref stepped in. One of the cheapest things I've seen in a long time. If that doesn't draw a few games I don't know what will.

Clifford should know better than to hunch down along the boards like that, the opposing player is going to finish his check.

Reasons why it should not be a suspendable hit:

1. The hit was full body contact

2. The player hit had the puck possession.

3. Bitz did not charge or leave his feet to check the player.

The play could be called boarding I suppose, but the call should have been 2 minutes, not 5.

Outcome was bad, but the play itself was nothing more than a hard hit along the boards.

Shoulder to head is legal when initiating full body contact checks.

Just watched the Weber "hit" on You Tube. The first punch/elbow to the head is bad enough but then he actually puts his hand on the back of Zetterberg's helmet and slams him face first into the boards. Looks like he had his arm drawn back for a third punch as well just before the ref stepped in. One of the cheapest things I've seen in a long time. If that doesn't draw a few games I don't know what will.

Vancouver finally gets a tough guy and half the fans ready to lynch him for playing aggressive.

what a joke. one mistake and the hyenas ready to pounce while giving Mason Raymond more chances than any Canuck in recent memory.

This wasn't intent to injure or a cheapshot,

it was an honest mistake by a guy told to hit everything in sight.

Clifford's turns to the glass and lowers his head.

5 minutes was enough, the penalty pretty much killed us last night.

Bitz should stay. After Kesler's diving performance last night the whistles will be put away ,we will need Bitz and Kassian in the lineup, especially in Game 3-4 when LA is home and feeling extra tough.

Hopefully Daniel comes back , Raymond sits and we get our act together cause that was a total joke last night.

Some of what you say might have been true if he had made a few decent hits last night. Much of the criticism is framed in the same light as the less hypocritical fans viewed Daniel's hit, Raymond's push, Cody's hit and some others. If it's something we would expect suspension for if it was committed on one of ours then it should get a suspension.

Who says it wasn't a cheap shot? It looked like it to me and many others and as I say I think you would have been leading the lynch mob if it had been committed on Henrik. So that's honest mistake ruled out.

You go on to say the penalty killed us................oh the irony. This guy wasn't a rookie like Kass. If he had been I might have given your plea more credence (although still thought it was suspend able ) He is old enough and experienced enough to have controlled himself instead of leaving the rest of the team in the merd.

I think Bitz will have to stay too, purely because we haven't many alternatives and I agree Kes did himself no favours last night.

I see you are still unable to analyse a player's performance re Raymond............keep working at it.

Archived