The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

These Refs Need To Let Them Play The Game

AJG187

I would say that ultimately the Canucks were outplayed. In every game of hockey, there are going to be some calls that should be called and some that shouldn't. All in all though, the Canucks were a lot less disciplined than the Kings were and the better team last night won.

Now, the Canucks can't take the opposite side tomorrow and be too soft, they have to find that balance of playing hard, yet still playing disciplined hockey.

Lotta folks saying we were outworked and outplayed. This is a sign of someone who's never played hockey in any meaningful context. If you have played university or semi-pro then you understand the PK takes 10 times as much out of players as 5 on 5 hockey. In some locker rooms it's called the "cortisol factor", because a PK is nothing short of panic mode for players, even when they're doing well. The fact that we were given so many abysmal calls and had a completely obvious disproportionate time in the box as compared to LA is the only fact needed to explain this loss. Anyone who knows hockey - from the perspective of someone who's played in games beyond peewee league - is quite aware of this absolute.

And BTW, in response to the defense of the reffing; if those of you watching can so easily overlook the NON hand pass call that cost us crucial time in the offensive zone, you're bleeding idiots. Let's not even bother talking about a call, in game frikin 1 of the Stanley Cup playoffs, for frikin spraying the goalie? Yep, totally fair call... in preseason. Not in the bloody playoffs. Kassian gets a charging for a definitive legal hit because why? He hit the guy too hard? Yep, completely impartial, NOT. There were 4 decent calls against us made tonight. The obvious delay of games, Bitz's knucklehead run, and maybe the hooking call. Other than that, we were singled out and penalized just for being NOT the LA Kings.

The Canucks played lousy for the first few minutes of the game, granted. And we're not capitalizing on our PP. Again, granted. We have shortcomings no doubt, and a few of our guys need to settle the frack down. But once the refs started dictating the play there was little chance to see how prepped the Canucks are for this year's run, and almost no chance to see their capabilities at all. Why? Because we were stuck killing some of the lousiest penalties I've seen since last years playoffs. That taps out our team far beyond just the time spent on PK. It leaves us haggard and spent for the rest of those 60 minutes. I'd say it's a testament to this teams athleticism that the game remained as close as it did, considering.

And this is not just some homer rant either, the officiating in the Detroit game was just as abysmal. My overall point is: this a league wide problem, that could easily be solved if this effed up league just took "at the refs discretion" out of the rule book, and forced those striped clowns to call games evenly EVERY DAMNED TIME. How is hockey a fair contest when teams can't even know what rules exist until after they get on the ice and "get a feel for the refs"? Hell, just that phrase ..."get a feel for the refs" should tell us everything we need to know about the shortcoming of officiating and why it's ruining our game. That players need to even consider how the refs may or may not do their job on any given night is a patently ridiculous axiom, given that this is the top frikin hockey league in the entire frikin world. It's like playing poker on a table where the dealer decides who gets all the aces. Fracking nonsense.

Officiating, as it stands, is ruining this game and making it a laughing stock. Teams that should win games are losing games, simply due to the incompetency and inconsistency of officiating, and that is inherently wrong. A fair contest is defined by the best team winning. In the NHL, many times the best team loses, and the only variable to be blamed for this is the regularly shoddy, lame officiating. Full stop.

I would say that ultimately the Canucks were outplayed. In every game of hockey, there are going to be some calls that should be called and some that shouldn't. All in all though, the Canucks were a lot less disciplined than the Kings were and the better team last night won.

Now, the Canucks can't take the opposite side tomorrow and be too soft, they have to find that balance of playing hard, yet still playing disciplined hockey.

Or you could look at it the right way.

The canucks were playing sloppy all night and took a lot of dumb ass penalties. The next game they better clean up their play. Or at least score on one of their many power plays at least.

And bitz is a moron. FYI. what a stupid play.

So if one team plays sloppy, its okay for the refs to favor the team outplaying them? Is that right? Dumb penalties like what? a little snow on a jersey? C'mon man, the refs should've called less penalties because we were getting some dumb ones too, like the constant delay of game penalty. We didn't need the refs to help us out in that department by calling more stupid penalties against us. No wonder we lost the game. We managed to play half the game on the PK.

I said this earlier, but I think it bears repeating. In the previous meeting between the Kings and Canucks, Kyle Clifford was called for the snow shower as well. This was a game that Vancouver ended up winning 1-0 and the Kings at the time were not a sure bet to even make the playoffs. I thought it was a weak call back then as well, but the refs had cause both then, and now.

The reason it was called in both games is that the refs could see a level of animosity building up between the two teams that could have broken out into something much worse. If you think this is unique to the two referees from Wednesday night, you haven't been paying attention. Officials have been calling games this way for years. The higher the level of animosity, the more calls are made, lest the game get out of hand.

@ {nhl}: Good post. Broken down very well. Unfortunately, I doubt that it will change anyone's mind.

Seriously, we're one game into the playoffs, and we're already blaming the refs? News flash: our team played like crap. All those calls were fine except Kesler's snow shower. Both PP goals were the result of undisciplined play. We deserved what we got, hopefully, the team will play smarter, harder and forget the yapping tonight.

Just crunched some numbers, thought you should know, the officials are garbage again this yr.

Reminder: Of all 4 teams that made the conference finals last yr, Canucks were only team that never played a series with more PP time than opponent. The Hawks-Nucks series was by far the most lopsided series in the playoffs last yr. Meaning, of any series, Hawks were given an extraordinary amount more of PP opps than Canucks.

Flashforward: The story hasn't changed. In just 3 games this yr, Canucks have had 14 PP opps, LA's had 20. The '6' differential is the largest of any series. The next largest differential is '2'. In fact, Canucks are the most penalized team in the playoffs. Given the garbage that's took place in the Ott-NYR, Pitts-Phi and Det-Nash series, this information is mind blowing. Repeat, mind blowing! According to reg season stats, this series should be the 2nd most evenly officiated series (in terms of penalties against each team). Yet, somehow it's the most lopsided PP differential thus far?!!

And I know why ..... SCF referees coming back to haunt Canucks.

Game 1 and 3 had the worst differentials. Game 2 was pretty even. Well, guess who officiated games 1 and 3? Answer: The referees who officiated the SCF! Who officiated game 2? Answer: No one from the SCF!

I called this before the series started. These officials from the SCF have called against the Canucks this entire reg season (I've gone through game by game). It continues in the playoffs. Gillis has to see this fact and talk to the league privately. They are not hiding their bias, they are blatantly calling against Canucks.

Archived