The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Richards Hit To Head On Burrows

Slegr

This. It's all about setting a tone that's consistent. I like it best when they put the whistles away and don't make marginal calls. The snow shower was crap - after what Lu's had to contend with in the past, are you kidding me?

But I totally prefer a game where they just let them go - hit hard, give each other a bit of a roughing up, etc. Problem is, they pick and choose and we end up with the short end of that stick. That's my issue.

At this stage, they should only be calling the clearly obvious "dirty" hits - late/high/charges/etc. That wasn't the case tonight and a few were good solid hockey hits that are what we've come to love about the playoffs. Ruins it when the refs interfere.

It's not about whining, it's about pointing things out. If you think Richards' game was any different than Lappy's, then you're wrong. And Lappy got penalized but Richards did not. So keep it balanced and no one has to "whine".

I thought it was dirtier than the Bitz hit, richards leaped up with an elbow. Bitz, although from blindside didn't extend an elbow or leave his feet. I thought the targeted head shots were the ones they wanted out of the game... Just another night of un-cosistency in the nhl, nothing new.

I think we ALL whine too much on here. Don't forget Bitz's hit was the worst and could have had serious consequences on the player.

I feel we need to start PLAYING HOCKEY and forget that this is the playoffs. We are too easily knocked off our own game. We were poor last night and I am knackered after getting up at 2:30 to watch the game over here.

We are all upset but please lets just put that one behind us and stop thinking the World owes us a SC. They need to stay on the ice, pass the puck and take their opportunities if they are to win these games. The team is playing like they only met up for the first time last week.

Tell Bitz to smash Richards, problem solved. We need to dress a goon squad for one game and take out the trash. Then we can play our game without worrying much. Take out that dirty Richards and Doughty and we will have a free pass to the next round.

I thought it was dirtier than the Bitz hit, richards leaped up with an elbow. Bitz, although from blindside didn't extend an elbow or leave his feet. I thought the targeted head shots were the ones they wanted out of the game... Just another night of un-cosistency in the nhl, nothing new.

It was an edgy game, Booth started it off with that hit on Doughty and then later Burrows really seemed to take a wicked pounding..hope he's alright.

Officiating was awful. Expected.

Hopefully Alex is good to go in the future and that the Canucks step up to protect their own if its going to be this kind of a slugfest this early on.

It was an edgy game, Booth started it off with that hit on Doughty and then later Burrows really seemed to take a wicked pounding..hope he's alright.

Officiating was awful.  Expected.

Hopefully Alex is good to go in the future and that the Canucks step up to protect their own if its going to be this kind of a slugfest this early on.

yeah snow shower unsportsmanlike - a real playoff hockey call - that is weak, and not what you'd expect after last year's let-er-all-go  - which then lead to two delay of game penalties... predictably unpredictable performance, but actually better than I'm used to seeing - Devorski in my mind is one of the better officials...

Just ought to say that I was more put off by a few tings the Canucks did than by the physical play or the work level the Kings put forth. Let me also say I love being a Canucks fan but I'm not beyond being able to see certain things that personally I think the Nucks can do without

1) Ryan Kesler undisciplined play. We all know he's got a big heart and a high compete level but I was surprised by his snow-shower move on Quick after the whistle, as well as put off by some of the other antics with the other centres and the head snapping, and the oversold somersault trying to draw penalties. Seriously, this crap is old, I wish he would play like he did in Nashville- I know he's been injured but to say he requires those antics to be successful does not say much for a guy with his skill level. Disappointed with that. Also I'm tired of hearing all the sniping from other teams about how arrogant/annoying the Canucks are and this crap really throws the credibility as a legit winner under the bus. If we need antics to win, I believe we don't deserve to win.

2) Bitz targeting the head. Ok- his role is to hit, his role is to make momentum, but for a guy who isn't always going to be in the lineup he could (should) have been a little more careful. By the replay it looks like he had a good 2-3 seconds to target the shoulder from the inside instead of stapling the guy's head to the glass guaranteeing some kind of call. Whether or not the refs should have called the hit to Burr why give the refs an excuse to call a penalty? See also Kassian's late and obvious hit on Greene.

Nucks have much more in the toolbox and I would love to see them go the distance without giving any of the league's crybabies any ammunition with which to criticize..

I don't think the Bitz elbow even contacted his head. When they showed another angle his elbow was not up that high, but it from first angle we saw it looked worse. The hit to Burrows was far worse. Burrows might have recieved a concussion there but got up and skated to the bench.

The refs always call the first game of the platoffs brutally. They are trying to set the tone . Is called game management or series management. Its what they are told to do. Even babcock said it last night, Some thing like "well the refs want to play the game too". He was clearly not amused bwith there officiating. Thing is why not call it evenlly.

Vancouver is hated and they need some toughness, not just Bitz, or an inexperienced Kasssian. They also need a coach that knows how to coach in the playoffs. The Canucks played well for the first 6 minutes; then why did they stop hitting? From then on the Kings had em. I blame AV for the loss. He is ultimately responsible and can't just shrug his shoulders and blame the team.

Archived