The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler's Antics

CoreyPerry

TL:DR version at the bottom.

Don't worry, the sky isn't falling.

However, what seem to be falling, are some of the Canucks players. And it's embarrassing.

We all witnessed the diving and embellishment by Kesler and Henrik last night.

Nothing new, right? We saw it all throughout the playoffs last year, and it literally turned the entire NHL against the Canucks. They have become one of the most-hated teams in the league because of antics like this. Playing on the biggest stage, under the limelight and before millions of scrutinizing eyes, the Canucks' antics were laid bare for all to see.

Were the Canucks painted as the villain by the media? Sure, you could argue that. The media definitely did not set out to make the Canucks look good, nor defend all the plays were the Canucks were disadvantaged. However, the Canucks didn't make it easier on themselves, or make themselves any more likable by diving and embellishing while looking to the referees.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Referees, as impartial as they should be, are human. They have emotions. They remember. They hold grudges just like the rest of us. And in a sport like hockey, where the notions of "honour" and "respect" have always been front and centre, where there is are so many unspoken and unwritten rules steeped in tradition, it's no wonder the Canucks have become so hated.

Now, it seemed the Canucks learned their lesson. All throughout the season, the Canucks stopped with the diving and pleading with the referees. They surprised us all when they started to stand up for each other and stopped taking crap from anybody, without looking to the officials to help them. We thought that maybe, just maybe, things had changed. The lessons had been learned.

Fast forward to game 1 of the Western Conference Quarterfinal. Again with the diving, the embellishing, the trash-talking, the showmanship, and the pleading to the referees for help.

What happened? Everything the team seemed to have learned through the bitter defeat last spring and the media backlash was forgotten?

What I'm getting at here, is this was not the way to start this year's campaign. This kind of behaviour will not gain the team any favours with the officials. It just sends a bad message, and sets a horrible tone for the rest of the playoffs. Don't think for a second that the officials have forgotten all the garbage that happened last year.

Last night's game showed us that Luongo has matured greatly since last year. He's no longer flopping around trying to get calls. He was speared in the throat twice by Mike Richards, and sure, he had a quick chat with the official, but that was the end of it. Not whining, no flopping around. He didn't let it faze him. He just got right back to playing hockey. If it weren't for Lu standing tall in the net, it could have been a blowout. It seems, however, that not everyone has gained that maturity.

What I think is interesting, is that the Canucks sometimes forget to play hockey. They focus so much on the referees and the game between the whistles and between the benches that they forget to play hockey. And those of us who have been watching this team for a while know that if they actually play hockey, they are the best team in the league.

The Canucks were far and away the better team at even strength. Had they not spent nearly an entire period in the penalty box, the outcome of game 1 could have been very different. This series is far from over, and I'm not worried, or panicking. The team just needs to get back to basics and play their game and stay out of the box.

This team just needs to focus on the game. Not the refs, not the trash-talk, not the embellishing.

When they play hockey, as we've seen, the Canucks are a force, and an elite team. They just need to focus, and play hockey.

Just play hockey.

TL:DR version:

- Starting the playoffs diving and embellishing will put the Canucks in the officials' black books from the start, and hurt the team as the playoffs progress.

- The Canucks don't seem to have learned from last year's mistakes.

- The Canucks are one of the best teams in the league when they just play hockey, and forget about the extra-curriculars. They need to get back to focusing on playing hockey.

- The Canucks are still a better team and should, and will win this series if they focus on playing hockey.

that was the most embarrassing game i have ever seen us play. we really didn't win anything at all last game. LA is in our heads. And now, once again, we leave it all up to Lu and AV.

it's pretty clear we're the better 5-on-5 team, so why bother try so hard so many times to get a penalty? This game most likely destroyed our respect with the refs and now forces us to play the way that made us lose last year.

AV, please show us why you won those Jack Adams.

Kesler's attitude is the first thing that needs to change. Kesler has been my favorite player for some time now so I will stand by him. But his constant nagging of the refs makes me want to puke. He is lucky he doesn't get more slashing and cross checking calls against him too.

Last year Kesler was loose. He was confident. He skated away and smiled. He had FUN out there. He pranked his teammates interviews. He made the best of things on the ice. He laughed when opponents came after him. I don't remember the last time I saw Ryan Kesler smile out there.

Kesler needs to start acting like a professional again. And fast. He will probably play better hockey. He will at least get more respect from me.

It's only one game. The wheels haven't fallen off yet, but they are starting to wobble. Last night was just an embarassment all around. There's a reason why we are apparently the most hated team in Canada. All season we did a good job of not doing the cheap, pathetic garbage we saw last night. Why did the players decide game 1 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs was the time to bring back the garbage? I hope someone did some yelling in the dressing room after the game to get their heads of of their behinds.

Yea, why can't Kesler just focus on scoring? I mean, he had 2 Assists in that game and then he's engaging with Richards, then Kopitar, then someone else, STOP THE BS KESLER. It's good that you play with passion, but don't go beyond a certain line. Diving around the rink, hoping for a PP, you won't even score on the PP, so why bother? Play like you did vs NSH, you'll actually score again. Be the big impact player that you are.

I still believe in you Kesler.

There is going to be a brand new Ryan in Game #2 folks, circle him in your pools.

Kesler is the one player on this team who always annoys me, largely due to his "tough guy" act. Remember when he was calling out, I can't remember who it was but another player for not fighting him after a big hit? Well honestly, Kesler doesn't fight. He wrestles a guy to the ground and acts like he's tough crap. It's embarrassing. Add in the diving of tonight and no wonder why the refs hate us.

Kesler is a drama queen,always has been.

However,that emotion is what makes Kesler great.

I expect the Canucks will do better in game 2 as they now have an idea what formidable a foe LA is.

Well said, exactly. Same goes with Lu...these two BOTH wear their hearts on their sleeves, DO really over dramatize things but that energy also channels into some great, intense play from them if they reel it in and direct it where it needs to go. Don't look to the refs for help - they're the enemies (too). "Show them" that they're not taking us down by playing around and despite them.

I know why they do what they do and that IS the ref's fault. But it gets us nowhere (fast), so they need to tune it out, say the serenity prayer (something about accepting the things you can't change) and go to war.

Just need to vent so I figured since there is a thread on LA kings twitter, lets talk about something actually that concerns the way this team plays. Kesler's antics are getting old, canucks fans are getting sick and tired of his diving. Remember Gillis had a sitdown with him couple years back about stopping all the post whistle BS, and Kesler went on to have a career season, does he need another one. Why is he reverting back to that play, and on top of that add diving. Like its just embarrassing as a fan of this team to see that, we all know how good and effective Kes can be w/o all of them extra curricular activites. Is it because he isn't producing right now, and tries dirty tactics to give our team a PP. I don't know what it is, might get flamed for this post, but I was fully embarrassed tonight by Kesler's antics ALL game. This clip just took the cake.

Just one aspect of his game which he goes to far too often IMO

Archived