The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian Is Not Nhl Ready!

gradin123

Zack Kassian looks like a deer caught in the headlights out there. He simply does not look ready for the NHL right now and whoever scouted him for the Canucks prior to the trade should be fired.

I understand Cody might have wanted out but the Canucks didn't have to trade him now and if they did they really should have got a guy who has more experience and might have actually helped the Canucks in the Playoffs this year and over the next couple of years. I am really starting to get the impression that the only reason Kassian is still making the line-up right now is because if he didn't it would look really bad on Gillis. He has really contributed next to nothing for the Canucks for about a month now.

Maybe one day he will be a solid NHL'er but so far I am been thoroughly unimpressed by his game and he looks more like Alex Stojanov 2.0 than the next Milan Lucic to me.

Yeah he can skate a bit but he just doesn't seem to have a good feel for the game and I have my doubts that he will ever amount to much in the NHL. It seems like the NHL game is just too fast for him mentally if you know what I mean.

He's young, first playoff type experience, not used to the Canucks system and has a buttload of expectation heaped on him.

Kassian wasn't meant to make a DRASTIC experience this season but in the coming future, relax. You can't call him a bust yet

Thanks for your insight, i'll disagree with your opinion that he will never amount to much in the NHL though.

I think he obviously feels a bit overwhelmed at times with the pace, flow, and intensity of the NHL. What rookie doesn't?

As of tonight, Zack Kassian has 45 games on his NHL record. Thats nothing. I was reading an interview with Jagr on NHL.com about how well the rookie Flyer team has done this year. He quoted an old pittsburgh coach who said after you play 50 games in this league you're no longer a rookie.

He wasn't brought in to be an immediate impact player, especially on the scoreboard. He played on the edge tonight and it was great. He got called for a weak charging penalty, but crap happens. He's improving, thats all we can expect.

I'll have to agree with u. I still don't really understand the trade. If we want to win now, why did we trade a sure thing in Hodgson? Hodgson gave us 3 balanced scoring lines, which is tough for any team to match. Hodgson also ran the 2nd powerplay unit, and made the unit a threat. Hodgson, over this season, has proven that he's NHL ready and scored big goals in big games... he would be contributing offensively this playoff run.

Don't get me wrong, I think Kassian will make some physical impact for us these playoffs... but how much? And is it worth trading away scoring depth? Also, Kassian is not playing a whole lot right now, and like the OP said, he's just not NHL ready right now. Sure, he might be a good player years down the road. But this team has a small window to win, and I feel the team got worse THIS YEAR due to the trade...

Thanks for your insight, i'll disagree with your opinion that he will never amount to much in the NHL though.

I think he obviously feels a bit overwhelmed at times with the pace, flow, and intensity of the NHL. What rookie doesn't?

As of tonight, Zack Kassian has 45 games on his NHL record. Thats nothing. I was reading an interview with Jagr on NHL.com about how well the rookie Flyer team has done this year. He quoted an old pittsburgh coach who said after you play 50 games in this league you're no longer a rookie.

He wasn't brought in to be an immediate impact player, especially on the scoreboard. He played on the edge tonight and it was great. He got called for a weak charging penalty, but crap happens. He's improving, thats all we can expect.

Even if I accept your argument that Kassian will be a good player the fact is Cody was a player who was already contributing offensively for the Canucks. Like it or not the Canucks window is closing as the Sedins have already peaked out as players and if they were to trade Cody which they certainly didn't have to they should have got someone who is more ready to contribute now. I think the Canucks brass simply misjudged how ready Kassian was if they thought he could make an impact in this years playoffs and if they didn't think he could they should have had waited until after this season to make the trade.

Even if I accept your argument that Kassian will be a good player the fact is Cody was a player who was already contributing offensively for the Canucks. Like it or not the Canucks window is closing as the Sedins have already peaked out as players and if they were to trade Cody which they certainly didn't have to they should have got someone who is more ready to contribute now. I think the Canucks brass simply misjudged how ready Kassian was if they thought he could make an impact in this years playoffs and if they didn't think he could they should have had waited until after this season to make the trade.

A) The trade(s) may not have been available in the off-season

B) We have enough potential trades for the summer to acquire new assets

C) Let's not dwell on what could have been, lets think about what we have and how it will work

D) I agree the offensive depth Cody gave us was huge during the regular season. That can't be assumed it would have carried over into the playoffs.

Umm, wrong. Our window is not closing. We've got a solid team with a great development program for our prospects. If anything our window is still wide open with how well we train our prospects. When the Sedins are done, we should have guys waiting in Chicago to step up, as well as Kassian. We're not some garbage bubble team who has one lucky year then drops off to nothing the next year.

We don't have that many potential trades. Really Schneider is the Canucks only marketable asset.But if a team offers him $4 Million per on a offer sheet the Canucks will be hardpressed to match and all the Canucks will get get back is a first and third round pick.

If they trade Luongo instead his salary will mean they will only be able to get a high priced underacheiving veteran in return.

We lost 1 game people. 1 game. Let's not start throwing everyone on our team under the bus. Yeah Kassian didn't look too comfortable, but can you blame him? It's his first NHL playoff game. The guy was probably nervous as heck.

He is going to be a force in a few years. So calmmmm down. And don't forget, Pahlsson was CoHo's replacement. NOT Kassian.

Archived