The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian Is Not Nhl Ready!

gradin123

If the trade was Hodgson for Stafford this would have made more sense. Pahlsson is only a slight upgrade over Lapierre or Malhotra and after last nights game i think playoff Lapierre might be better than Pahlsson at 34. Did pretty good last year IMO.

If you disagree..... Tell me how this trade makes us better right now........and what good does Schneider do sitting on the end of the bench?

Zack Kassian looks like a deer caught in the headlights out there. He simply does not look ready for the NHL right now and whoever scouted him for the Canucks prior to the trade should be fired.

I understand Cody might have wanted out but the Canucks didn't have to trade him now and if they did they really should have got a guy who has more experience and might have actually helped the Canucks in the Playoffs this year and over the next couple of years. I am really starting to get the impression that the only reason Kassian is still making the line-up right now is because if he didn't it would look really bad on Gillis. He has really contributed next to nothing for the Canucks for about a month now.

Maybe one day he will be a solid NHL'er but so far I am been thoroughly unimpressed by his game and he looks more like Alex Stojanov 2.0 than the next Milan Lucic to me.

Yeah he can skate a bit but he just doesn't seem to have a good feel for the game and I have my doubts that he will ever amount to much in the NHL. It seems like the NHL game is just too fast for him mentally if you know what I mean.

Hodgson put up 3g 5a 8pts (3g 3a of those 8pts coming against noted 2012 playoff powerhouses MTL, TBL & MIN), a whopping -11 and he was on the ice for 16 goals against (1 empty net goal) in his last 16 games played to end the season (the season finale was meaningless). Those were all "playoff games" for the Sabres and Hodgson was simply a massive liability out there at Buffalo's most critical time of year.

Hodgson had to be sheltered with "soft minutes" in order for him not to hurt the team's win-loss record during his time in Vancouver. If he had been given defensive zone starts (the role of bottom six forwards), his defensive deficiencies would've been exposed just like they were in Buffalo to end the year. Adding Pahlsson's defensive reliability and losing Hodgson's current defensive liability (one day he'll be good in his own zone at this level but that day is not today) made us a better team that no longer had to worry as much about mismatches on the ice. Btw, it's funny how you're calling Samme over the hill at 34 based on one playoff game. If he comes out tomorrow and shuts down Kopitar, sets up Higgins or Hansen for a goal and we win, will he suddenly be better than Lapierre once again?

What good did Hodgson's 3g 5a 8pts (including 1 garbage empty net goal vs MIN with less than a second left in the game) do for Buffalo when he was on the ice for 16 goals against (he was on the ice for 10 goals for in total)? That's a negative six goal differential on a team that outscored the opposition 59 to 44, a positive 15 goal differential, during that same sixteen game span. That means the Sabres were outscoring the opposition 49-28 (+21) when Hodgson wasn't on the ice which is far superior than the Sabres' 10gf to 16ga (-6) ratio when Hodgson was on the ice...

You think it would be any different here if he was out there versus the Kings?!

Edit: Kassian's grit, checking and mean streak is NHL ready. His scoring is not yet NHL level but it will be one day. On the other side, Hodgson's shot, passing skill and powerplay skill is NHL ready. However, his backchecking and faceoff skill is not yet NHL level for a team with Cup aspirations.

Kassian can play a 4th line role now and take a toll on LA's defence (like he did on that BS charging call on Greene). Can Hodgson be effective in a checking role? Because that's the only spot we had for him (and even that got taken away when we acquired Pahlsson).

When did you get your scouting job? Seriously, what is your hockey pedigree that you can assess Kassian and predict his NHL future? What don't you understand that Pahlsson is Hodgson's replacement. Kassian is here for another purpose as is Gragnani. The kid looks like a rookie, which he is, but he brings some size and toughness which I thought he displayed in his limited time last night.

Put on your Hodgson jammies and tuck into bed and dream about golf which Hodgson is doing right now.

Very optimistic , But remove your blinders or get a little more educated on hockey because yes there is small window in the salary cap era and some of our prospects are not bad but right now we dont have anything in the system to really get excited about like you make it sound like

Hodgson put up 3g 5a 8pts (3g 3a of those 8pts coming against noted 2012 playoff powerhouses MTL, TBL & MIN), a whopping -11 and he was on the ice for 16 goals against (1 empty net goal) in his last 16 games played to end the season (the season finale was meaningless). Those were all "playoff games" for the Sabres and Hodgson was simply a massive liability out there at Buffalo's most critical time of year.

Hodgson had to be sheltered with "soft minutes" in order for him not to hurt the team's win-loss record during his time in Vancouver. If he had been given defensive zone starts (the role of bottom six forwards), his defensive deficiencies would've been exposed just like they were in Buffalo to end the year. Adding Pahlsson's defensive reliability and losing Hodgson's current defensive liability (one day he'll be good in his own zone at this level but that day is not today) made us a better team that no longer had to worry as much about mismatches on the ice. Btw, it's funny how you're calling Samme over the hill at 34 based on one playoff game. If he comes out tomorrow and shuts down Kopitar, sets up Higgins or Hansen for a goal and we win, will he suddenly be better than Lapierre once again?

What good did Hodgson's 3g 5a 8pts (including 1 garbage empty net goal vs MIN with less than a second left in the game) do for Buffalo when he was on the ice for 16 goals against (he was on the ice for 10 goals for in total)? That's a negative six goal differential on a team that outscored the opposition 59 to 44, a positive 15 goal differential, during that same sixteen game span. That means the Sabres were outscoring the opposition 49-28 (+21) when Hodgson wasn't on the ice which is far superior than the Sabres' 10gf to 16ga (-6) ratio when Hodgson was on the ice...

You think it would be any different here if he was out there versus the Kings?!

Edit: Kassian's grit, checking and mean streak is NHL ready. His scoring is not yet NHL level but it will be one day. On the other side, Hodgson's shot, passing skill and powerplay skill is NHL ready. However, his backchecking and faceoff skill is not yet NHL ready for a team with Cup aspirations.

Kassian can play a 4th line role now and take a toll on LA's defence (like he did on that BS charging call on Greene). Can Hodgson be effective in a checking role? Because that's the only spot we had for him (and even that got taken away when we acquired Pahlsson).

Zack Kassian looks like a deer caught in the headlights out there. He simply does not look ready for the NHL right now and whoever scouted him for the Canucks prior to the trade should be fired.

I understand Cody might have wanted out but the Canucks didn't have to trade him now and if they did they really should have got a guy who has more experience and might have actually helped the Canucks in the Playoffs this year and over the next couple of years. I am really starting to get the impression that the only reason Kassian is still making the line-up right now is because if he didn't it would look really bad on Gillis. He has really contributed next to nothing for the Canucks for about a month now.

Maybe one day he will be a solid NHL'er but so far I am been thoroughly unimpressed by his game and he looks more like Alex Stojanov 2.0 than the next Milan Lucic to me.

Yeah he can skate a bit but he just doesn't seem to have a good feel for the game and I have my doubts that he will ever amount to much in the NHL. It seems like the NHL game is just too fast for him mentally if you know what I mean.

Solid argument. With goods stats to back it up....

The problem is players with Cody's talent and hockey acumen do not come along very often for teams picking in the 25-30 range.

There are plenty of examples of young top 6 centers in this league having problems defending against other teams top players. Cody went to a new team with new systems and like any young player these are tough adjustments. My argument is that when Pahlsson is no longer in this league where will Hodgson be and for that matter H.Sedin. I think Lapierre,Hodgson,Malhotra is better than this group with Pahlsson. Today and towmorrow. I hope I'm wrong but this is my opinion.

I like Pahlsson, i like Kassian, Gragnani..mehhh. I am not bitter, I like what Kassian has to offer in the near future and even Schroeder.

I simply am not a fan of AV he did nothing to manage the undisiplined play last night... he has been too slow to make adjustments and i truly believe he wanted Hodgson gone and he was granted his wish.

Kassian today is like Hodgson last year. Not quite ready to make an impact and if AV wanted it would have been easy to find a replacement for Weise on the 4th line and still add pahlsson even.

The Hodgson trade will come back to haunt the Canucks. They could sure use his hockey smarts and offensive skill right now.

Kassian is not close to NHL ready in my opinion. He won't help the team much in the playoffs. I was not happy with the trade from the very moment that it came into being, and I certainly do not like it now.

If the Canucks crash out of the playoffs and scoring is the problem, look no further than this as one of the key reasons.

Hodgson was not being used in a checking role here.He was the second unit PP playmaker.

Hodgson scored 41 points as a rookie,which usurps Daniel and Hank and just about every Canuck in history,save Linden and Smyl and perhaps Naslund.I am too lazy to check again.Hodgson's gone but he is gifted in areas of the game that any team can use.

Kassian's role is limited.Hodgson was really a scoring sensation for a rookie.They bring different skill sets.

Do the Canucks need secondary scoring or fourth line grit?

I am satisfied with Pahlsson's defensive game but the Canucks better start scoring ASAP or this year is lost.

Fair enough!

But would you trade a rookie 20 goal scorer 22yrs old, former CHL player of the year, World Juniors top player for Sami Pahlsson at 34 a 4th line winger and a depth defenseman no better than Sulzer.

If so i would question your hockey knowledge...........This trade was AV getting rid of a player he never liked from the 1st time he called him out.

Archived