The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian Is Not Nhl Ready!

gradin123

More than NHL ready on the 4th line. Has a lot of jump, energy and grit.

You're putting too much expectation on him. He's there to be a big presence physically and put up 50-60+ points

He's not supposed to be an 80+ point player like Hodgson is going to be.

If he stays energized into the game (which he was last night) and limits his mistakes then he is doing his job.

I completely agree. The problem with that is that we'd be exposed at the other end of the ice with Hodgson. Yeah, maybe he scores on the powerplay but we also lose Hansen who has been very vocal about losing his identity when he played with Hodgson. And what good would a PPG by CoHo be if Kopitar gets two at even strength versus Cody?

As for your question about grit vs secondary scoring, we need both and in a SEVEN game SERIES (most pundits are predicting 7) you need your bottom-six to lay a licking on the opposition's Dmen on the forecheck. What would be a bigger loss for LA, watching Cody get 1.6. 1.7a 3.3pts in 6.3gp or losing Drew Doughty for the series on an Kassian body check? Even if LA doesn't lose Doughty to injury, what happens to the outlet passes if Doughty starts rushing his passes out of fear of that type of hit? Bu-bye transition...

I'll reinforce you here Miller. Kassian is already miles ahead of COHO on the defensive side of the puck. he rarely gets out of position in his own end and, when I watch him, he has his head on a swivel and is always thinking defense first in the d-zone. CH was completely the opposite, and was showing very little progress that way.

This forum is starting to make me laugh. Everyone is making such a huge deal about being vastly outplayed by LA when the shots at even strength were virtually identical in spite of how poorly we were playing. I thought LA had their "A" game and we had our "B" game and the shots were still only 24-21 LA at EV strength. This place panics after every loss and is over exuberant after every win so it's not surprising to see the hordes bring up CoHo's "clutch" goals as the key to our game #1 loss (game number one ffs lol). Unbelievable...

What good did Hodgson's 3g 5a 8pts ...... a negative six goal differential on a team that outscored the opposition 59 to 44, a positive 15 goal differentia......... to 16ga (-6) ratio when Hodgson was on the ice........

You think it would be any different here if he was out there versus the Kings?!

Uh....yes. As another poster pointed out, he was getting used to a new system and new coach, new team mates, not to mention a huge move to a new city and all that goes with that on a personal level.

What is important is what he was doing here, even under the over-bearing thumb of AV. And what he could have done for us as another scoring threat and assist threat in the playoffs.

Zack Kassian looks like a deer caught in the headlights out there. He simply does not look ready for the NHL right now and whoever scouted him for the Canucks prior to the trade should be fired.

I understand Cody might have wanted out but the Canucks didn't have to trade him now and if they did they really should have got a guy who has more experience and might have actually helped the Canucks in the Playoffs this year and over the next couple of years. I am really starting to get the impression that the only reason Kassian is still making the line-up right now is because if he didn't it would look really bad on Gillis. He has really contributed next to nothing for the Canucks for about a month now.

Maybe one day he will be a solid NHL'er but so far I am been thoroughly unimpressed by his game and he looks more like Alex Stojanov 2.0 than the next Milan Lucic to me.

Yeah he can skate a bit but he just doesn't seem to have a good feel for the game and I have my doubts that he will ever amount to much in the NHL. It seems like the NHL game is just too fast for him mentally if you know what I mean.

Archived