The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian Is Not Nhl Ready!

gradin123

I think Kass will be good for us............but not this year and not in these playoffs.

He didn't seem to understand his roll or the system. He's a young guy and quite honestly it all looks too much for him just now. I'm not in the "he's a bust camp" but I do think he should get some coaching in Chicago for a season.

I would add in his defence that sometimes it didn't look like we had much of a system at all. We need to stop playing the opposition and start playing our game. We don't pass enough, early enough or quickly enough and end up just shunting it up the ice.

He certainly was no worse than Bitz though, who until he deservedly got taken out of the game was invisible. It seems he only has any upside when playing with the Sedins.

Nope he isn't and Hodgson was, take a look at our pp since trading Hodgson 17% before that it was sitting around 25% I believe. Guess that's what happens when you trade your 2nd pp line's centre. and 3rd leading goal scorer on the team... Still baffles me why he was traded, if he wanted out his value would have only gone up after winning a cup.

I appreciate his efforts in the 1st game and his attempt to try to be physical, but he is simply out skilled and not bringing much to the game.

Yes, we have a stronger defense thanks in part to having 2 checking lines, but I really wish we had more offense too.. When we are down by a goal or 2 it is so hard to climb back up. With Daniel gone, we could really use Hodgson.

Zack Kassian looks like a deer caught in the headlights out there. He simply does not look ready for the NHL right now and whoever scouted him for the Canucks prior to the trade should be fired.

I understand Cody might have wanted out but the Canucks didn't have to trade him now and if they did they really should have got a guy who has more experience and might have actually helped the Canucks in the Playoffs this year and over the next couple of years. I am really starting to get the impression that the only reason Kassian is still making the line-up right now is because if he didn't it would look really bad on Gillis. He has really contributed next to nothing for the Canucks for about a month now.

Maybe one day he will be a solid NHL'er but so far I am been thoroughly unimpressed by his game and he looks more like Alex Stojanov 2.0 than the next Milan Lucic to me.

Yeah he can skate a bit but he just doesn't seem to have a good feel for the game and I have my doubts that he will ever amount to much in the NHL. It seems like the NHL game is just too fast for him mentally if you know what I mean.

Sure we can! Not Kassian, now that he's here, he deserves every crack at developing & earning his place. The trade!

Pahlsson was a great pick up. Cost us next to nothing; same for Higgins & Lapierre last year. Veterans who have something to offer, perhaps playing with a chip on their shoulder willing to take a 4th line role. Then re-use that role to earn their traditional spot up the lineup; thats a great playoff pickup!

Kassian cost us the best prospect we've had in 10 years. I would have expected Jarome Iginla! Or if we were after futures Bogosian, in a position we truly needed depth. Kassian will probably be fine in 2 years; but there's a good chance by then the Sedin's will be past their prime. Unless Kassian starts putting up Gordie Howe hat tricks in the playoff's, who cares?

And I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I agree with the OP. I dont see that this year!

He's young, first playoff type experience, not used to the Canucks system and has a buttload of expectation heaped on him.

Kassian wasn't meant to make a DRASTIC experience this season but in the coming future, relax. You can't call him a bust yet

Zack Kassian looks like a deer caught in the headlights out there. He simply does not look ready for the NHL right now and whoever scouted him for the Canucks prior to the trade should be fired.

I understand Cody might have wanted out but the Canucks didn't have to trade him now and if they did they really should have got a guy who has more experience and might have actually helped the Canucks in the Playoffs this year and over the next couple of years. I am really starting to get the impression that the only reason Kassian is still making the line-up right now is because if he didn't it would look really bad on Gillis. He has really contributed next to nothing for the Canucks for about a month now.

Maybe one day he will be a solid NHL'er but so far I am been thoroughly unimpressed by his game and he looks more like Alex Stojanov 2.0 than the next Milan Lucic to me.

Yeah he can skate a bit but he just doesn't seem to have a good feel for the game and I have my doubts that he will ever amount to much in the NHL. It seems like the NHL game is just too fast for him mentally if you know what I mean.

Kassian was one of the few players who I thought was actually into the game last night.  He made some nice plays in the corner, worked hard, was in on the forecheck.  Not sure what else you could have asked from him.  I'd like to see him up with Kes.......maybe some of that would rub off on kes, who was one of the worst players on the ice last night

I agree. He needs to be sent down to AHL to be seasoned. Reinprecht should be up since he's a vet and can probably play 4th line minutes in a much more effective manner.

We have bitz and others now for team 'toughness'

We need to stick to Canucks brand of hockey that has made us successful. There is a reason I cheer for Canucks and not Bruins..

How can anyone say there had been a system in place since the trade dead line?!?!

Seriously give your collective heads a shake.

Av has been juggling lines and d pairings non stop as well as the significant injury to Dank.

I really wonder what system there is for kassian to learn since arriving.

I liked the way Kassian looked last night. At different points he was clearly getting into the heads of the opposition. His penalty was questionable (I have seen that not called on several occasions).

If he can keep Matt Greene busy with the rough stuff that is a good thing. I would much rather have Kassian out there getting this experience than Dale Weise.

I agree. He needs to be sent down to AHL to be seasoned. Reinprecht should be up since he's a vet and can probably play 4th line minutes in a much more effective manner.

We have bitz and others now for team 'toughness'

We need to stick to Canucks brand of hockey that has made us successful. There is a reason I cheer for Canucks and not Bruins..

Yeah Bitz really did his job last night, his dumb hit and major cost us the game last night. One thing Kassian does in his limmited minutes is keep the Kings honest not one of them wants go with him they just beak off and skate away.

Archived