The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian Is Not Nhl Ready!

gradin123

Kassian was fine - it was a lame call - not a playoff hockey penalty - all of a sudden we are seeing hair-trigger sensitivity and it is odd - not that I am against calling the game properly in the playoffs....

I can just imagine what Kopitar et al would do if matched up against Hodgson....

Great deals MG.

Ignore them all Zack and keep working hard - you are doing fine and will be a star here.

Gump ,when you were 18 or 19 years old did you demand anything from your employer(s)?

Stating that a rookie demands or is in a position to demand is not even a consideration of reality.

GM's are not coerced or they would have never risen to the rank of Pres/GM of a large corporation.

Come on.

Gump ,when you were 18 or 19 years old did you demand anything from your employer(s)?

Stating that a rookie demands or is in a position to demand is not even a consideration of reality.

GM's are not coerced or they would have never risen to the rank of Pres/GM of a large corporation.

Come on.

I think the Canucks got totally shafted in the Hodgson trade. Kassian has been nothing special so far, and no where near as good as the scouts made him out to be. And Gragnani has been a total flop, not even usable. The Canucks should have kept Hodgson and gotten only Pahlsson or another defenseman. Hogdson is a versatile player who could play in a lot of positions, not just centre. This the second time now the Canucks have given away a highly valuable prospect with huge potential and upside (the other being Grabner for Ballard) and gotten the short end of the stick in return. What kind of hacks do the Canucks have working as scouts for them? The jobs they did on their scouting reports were executed with neolithic incompetence.

Very optimistic , But remove your blinders or get a little more educated on hockey because yes there is small window in the salary cap era and some of our prospects are not bad but right now we dont have anything in the system to really get excited about like you make it sound like

Hodgson put up 3g 5a 8pts (3g 3a of those 8pts coming against noted 2012 playoff powerhouses MTL, TBL & MIN), a whopping -11 and he was on the ice for 16 goals against (1 empty net goal) in his last 16 games played to end the season (the season finale was meaningless). Those were all "playoff games" for the Sabres and Hodgson was simply a massive liability out there at Buffalo's most critical time of year.

Hodgson had to be sheltered with "soft minutes" in order for him not to hurt the team's win-loss record during his time in Vancouver. If he had been given defensive zone starts (the role of bottom six forwards), his defensive deficiencies would've been exposed just like they were in Buffalo to end the year. Adding Pahlsson's defensive reliability and losing Hodgson's current defensive liability (one day he'll be good in his own zone at this level but that day is not today) made us a better team that no longer had to worry as much about mismatches on the ice. Btw, it's funny how you're calling Samme over the hill at 34 based on one playoff game. If he comes out tomorrow and shuts down Kopitar, sets up Higgins or Hansen for a goal and we win, will he suddenly be better than Lapierre once again?

What good did Hodgson's 3g 5a 8pts (including 1 garbage empty net goal vs MIN with less than a second left in the game) do for Buffalo when he was on the ice for 16 goals against (he was on the ice for 10 goals for in total)? That's a negative six goal differential on a team that outscored the opposition 59 to 44, a positive 15 goal differential, during that same sixteen game span. That means the Sabres were outscoring the opposition 49-28 (+21) when Hodgson wasn't on the ice which is far superior than the Sabres' 10gf to 16ga (-6) ratio when Hodgson was on the ice...

You think it would be any different here if he was out there versus the Kings?!

Edit: Kassian's grit, checking and mean streak is NHL ready. His scoring is not yet NHL level but it will be one day. On the other side, Hodgson's shot, passing skill and powerplay skill is NHL ready. However, his backchecking and faceoff skill is not yet NHL level for a team with Cup aspirations.

Kassian can play a 4th line role now and take a toll on LA's defence (like he did on that BS charging call on Greene). Can Hodgson be effective in a checking role? Because that's the only spot we had for him (and even that got taken away when we acquired Pahlsson).

These "blinders" let me see all too clearly. Maybe you should shut it and get some hockey sense. We have a great developmental program that you clearly underrate. We have no big name prospects, which is probably why people like you act like they suck already. But we will make them stars, like we did with Kesler and Burrows and Edler.

Our prospects will clearly prove you wrong.

I still don't buy the idea of Detroit as a great developer of talent. I see them as having exceptional European scouting and being very fortunate in the quality and durability of these players. :)

Datsyuk (33), Kronwall (31), Franzen (32), Zetterberg (31) and Lidstrom (41), never spent any time in the minors being developed. Holmstrom (39) played 6 whole games in the AHL. All six of these guys played in a European elite league until their early twenties, which I don't see as the Wings developing these guys as much as letting them finish off any contracts they may have had at the time. The closest the Canucks have to these kind of star players stepping right in to the NHL are the Sedins, and they were actual true rookies who were developed by the team, albeit at the NHL level.

The Wings have developed quite a few of their players, but not as many significant players to their current team as have the Canucks.

Hansen, Kesler, Raymond, Bieksa, Edler, Tanev, (the Sedins) and Schneider were all developed by the Canucks. One could also add Hodgson to this list. They were brought up through the system, not just plucked off the ready to wear European rack.

regards,

G.

So...

1. D. Sedin

2. H. Sedin

3. R. Kesler

4. C. Schneider

5. A. Edler

6. K. Bieksa

7. J. Hansen

8. A. Burrows

9. C. Tanev

10. M. Raymond

vs

1. N. Lidstrom

2. P. Datsyuk

3. H. Zetterberg

4. J. Franzen

5. N. Kronwall

6. V. Filpula

7. J. Hudler

8. T. Holmstrom

9. J. Howard

10. D. Helm

11. J. Ericsson

12. J. Kindl

13. J. Abdelkader

14. C. Emmerton

15. G. Nyquist

16. C. Emmerton

17. K. Quincey (drafted, developed, traded, re-acquired)

Sorry but nearly the entire roster was drafted and developed by Detroit (Datsyuk & Zetterberg were developed slowly as 3rd liners to start their NHL careers).

So...

1. D. Sedin

2. H. Sedin

3. R. Kesler

4. C. Schneider

5. A. Edler

6. K. Bieksa

7. J. Hansen

8. A. Burrows

9. C. Tanev

10. M. Raymond

vs

1. N. Lidstrom

2. P. Datsyuk

3. H. Zetterberg

4. J. Franzen

5. N. Kronwall

6. V. Filpula

7. J. Hudler

8. T. Holmstrom

9. J. Howard

10. D. Helm

11. J. Ericsson

12. J. Kindl

13. J. Abdelkader

14. C. Emmerton

15. G. Nyquist

16. C. Emmerton

Sorry but nearly the entire roster was drafted and developed by Detroit (Datsyuk & Zetterberg were developed slowly as 3rd liners to start their NHL careers).

So...

1. D. Sedin

2. H. Sedin

3. R. Kesler

4. C. Schneider

5. A. Edler

6. K. Bieksa

7. J. Hansen

8. A. Burrows

9. C. Tanev

10. M. Raymond

vs

1. N. Lidstrom

2. P. Datsyuk

3. H. Zetterberg

4. J. Franzen

5. N. Kronwall

6. V. Filpula

7. J. Hudler

8. T. Holmstrom

9. J. Howard

10. D. Helm

11. J. Ericsson

12. J. Kindl

13. J. Abdelkader

14. C. Emmerton

15. G. Nyquist

16. C. Emmerton

This forum is starting to make me laugh. Everyone is making such a huge deal about being vastly outplayed by LA when the shots at even strength were virtually identical in spite of how poorly we were playing. I thought LA had their "A" game and we had our "B" game and the shots were still only 24-21 LA at EV strength. This place panics after every loss and is over exuberant after every win so it's not surprising to see the hordes bring up CoHo's "clutch" goals as the key to our game #1 loss (game number one ffs lol). Unbelievable...

Love Kassian's physicality but wasn't a fan of losing Hodgson like many others. We have to be patient with him however I haven't liked what I've seen from him when he has the puck (although I haven't watched all of his games). Almost as if his hands are made of stone, not seeing alot of skill and I know that's not his game, but I'd like to see him take it to the net more often at the very least.

Uh....yes. As another poster pointed out, he was getting used to a new system and new coach, new team mates, not to mention a huge move to a new city and all that goes with that on a personal level.

What is important is what he was doing here, even under the over-bearing thumb of AV. And what he could have done for us as another scoring threat and assist threat in the playoffs.

I haven't seen Kassian's mythical "mean streak" yet and it certainly isn't NHL ready. His checking is spotty. His scoring is basically non-existent. Hodgson wasn't the fastest skater and so not as skilled backchecking, but I don't see Kassian as much of an improvement as a backchecker even with his speed. Hodgson WAS great at hanging onto the puck in the O zone, thus negating a lot of the backchecking required. I also don't agree that the only spot Hodgson could fill would be a checker. Not to mention his PP prowess, even on the third line, he'd get his chances, as we saw in the regular season. Not only that but he could be compelled to play wing and move up if he was needed due to injury or a case of Raymonditis.

Like I said, I'm not particularly against this trade on paper. But the timing is ridiculous. What Kassian has brought so far, and presumably throughout the playoffs, could be easily replaced by the few bigger bodies we have waiting in the wings.

Archived