The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Are Jim Hughson & Craig Simpson Anti-Canucks?

Luongo's Soul Patch

Did anyone else notice that the CBC commentators were very anti-canucks?

I mean what was that whole thing about Lapierre arguing with the linesman over an offside,

"because that's who he is."

And whenever a Canuck fell it was always "he goes down easily."

Its like they don't even give the players benefit of the doubt.

I mean the Canucks dive sometimes, but they do stumble and fall; they are playing on ice after all.

Biased commentating like this makes the team look bad, and gives people watching all over Canada a negative image of the Canucks.

Jim Hughson supports the Canucks. Flame fans hate his commentating a lot.

Craig Simpson, on the other hand, seems to always find a need to criticize the Canucks for every little thing they do. I"m not hating on him, but I do find that he tries to pin point a lot of a negatives about the Canucks. He never really talked about the Kings.

Its a good thing that the players in the Canucks locker room don't care about what other people think because it might affect their performance, which is all i care about.

Screw outside opinions, believe in your team and have faith.

Jim Hughson supports the Canucks. Flame fans hate his commentating a lot.

Craig Simpson, on the other hand, seems to always find a need to criticize the Canucks for every little thing they do. I"m not hating on him, but I do find that he tries to pin point a lot of a negatives about the Canucks. He never really talked about the Kings.

I hate when people just assume Jim Hughson supports the Canucks. He's from bc yes and he used to cover Canuck games, but he's full Toronto now. He 100% does not support the Canucks and constantly takes shots at the players and fans throughout the game. You might not notice it because Simpson quickly chimes in with his typical Canucks are divers act.

I noticed that also, I was actually going to write an email to cbc. It does affect the Canucks, craig simpson says we're diving every 2min the whole nation hears that including toronto's control room and I'm sure other ref's who aren't officiating that night. As for Jim Hughson I use to love the guy but obviously toronto has gotten to him.

UGH stop! Canucks fans are so used to the ridiculously homer sportsnet crew that they take impartial/balanced broadcasting to be "anti-canucks" This is insane. If anything that broadcast was pro Canuck. Give your heads a shake.

I noticed that also, I was actually going to write an email to cbc. It does affect the Canucks, craig simpson says we're diving every 2min the whole nation hears that including toronto's control room and I'm sure other ref's who aren't officiating that night. As for Jim Hughson I use to love the guy but obviously toronto has gotten to him.

Actually in all fairness I heard a couple comments last night that made me go WTF??? Can't remember offhand what they were but I remember thinking " holy S***, they're trying to paint the Canucks as the villian here" anyone else feel this?

Also just a question....anyone else feel like gillis will blow it up if we make a first rd exit, or just av gone or nothing at all. I'm not sure what would happen?

Did anyone else notice that the CBC commentators were very anti-canucks?

I mean what was that whole thing about Lapierre arguing with the linesman over an offside,

"because that's who he is."

And whenever a Canuck fell it was always "he goes down easily."

Its like they don't even give the players benefit of the doubt.

I mean the Canucks dive sometimes, but they do stumble and fall; they are playing on ice after all.

Biased commentating like this makes the team look bad, and gives people watching all over Canada a negative image of the Canucks.

Nobody needed to make us look bad last night.

What the commentator said was right. I sometimes think people like Lapierre sometimes forget he's on the ice to play hockey (when he does he is excellent ) He needs to shut his mouth and get his head in the game.

You really seem to jump at Simpson for every little phrase he uses that contains a bit of critique against our guys. Hughson is the best hockey announcer, period. Simpson's voice may be annoying, but I actually considered him pro Canucks all night long. He praised Luongo several times, his analyses were correct most of the time and I can't recall any blatant bashes. Just relax a bit and think about all the bad hockey commentators we don't have to listen to every second night.

Nobody needed to make us look bad last night.

What the commentator said was right. I sometimes think people like Lapierre sometimes forget he's on the ice to play hockey (when he does he is excellent ) He needs to shut his mouth and get his head in the game.

Why is it after a performance like last night we get all the little whiners coming out of the woodwork wanting to take their toys home. Own the defeat, accept the commentators comments, accept the Kings were better, more focussed on the night and accept that but for Luongo we could have turned the lights out after the first.

I found Hughson and Simpson ok but did you watch Kelly Hrudy after the game on CBC. I have never heard absolute vitriol from a so called analyst about the caracter of the Canucks on national tv. Healy was the only one defending the Canucks, even Mclean and Stock seemed embarassed by Hrudys hate.

Hank's dive rattled the refs. Actually, the fact that the refs fell for it was what really irked. How the hell could they not tell? Hank usually only puts one knee on the ground, when he dives, to make it look less obvious. I'm sure if the refs just ignored the call, they wouldn't have been so butthurt.

WE WERE DIVING! The Hank dive was super blatant, and the refs made us pay, LIKE THEY ALWAYS DO when a player makes them look foolish, with 4 unanswered pp's. The Kes fall was almost as bad.

Believe it or not the Canucks are critiqueable just like any other team in the league.

OP you obviously do not know much about Hughie as he is a BC boy who loves this team. Given that, he is also a non-biased analyst and has to call the game both ways. While he loves this team, he also is not afraid to acknowledge the truth. Whether we like it or not, we do have some guys that try to embelish penalties and that carries a reputation around the league.

Simmer on the other hand? Former Oiler and big chip on his shoulder for our boys. I do not really care much for his commentary as he is the Eddie O of Canadian broadcasting and has always had an issue with us. I would rather listen to Weekes than him.

Hughson would like nothing more than after a Canuck goal to jump into the air and start screaming into his mic while fist pumping. But no, he's more professional then that.

I don't get what you expect him to do... get on his hands and knees and praise the Canucks if theyre diving?

Same with Simpson... He's a color commentator. He calls what he sees. The Canucks were bad last night and he wasn't holding back.

If you go onto hfboards there's always an annual playoff thread about how bias Hughson and Simpson are with the Canucks and how it's unbareable to watch because they constantly praise the Canucks.

Relax or just mute the damn game and listen to 1040.

Archived