The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Weber Fined $2500 For Hit, Not Suspended

Xbox

NEW YORK -- Nashville Predators defenseman Shea Weber has been fined $2,500, the maximum allowed under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, for delivering a blow to the head of Detroit forward Henrik Zetterberg in Game 1 of the teams' Western Conference Quarterfinal series in Nashville on Wednesday, April 11, the National Hockey League's Department of Player Safety announced today.

The incident occurred at 20:00 of the third period. Weber was assessed a minor penalty for roughing.

"We felt this was a reckless and reactionary play on which Weber threw a glancing punch and then shoved Zetterberg's head into the glass," said NHL Senior Vice President of Player Safety and Hockey Operations Brendan Shanahan. "We reached out to Detroit following the game and were informed that Zetterberg did not suffer an apparent injury and should be in the lineup for Game 2.

"This play and the fine that addressed it will be significant factors in assessing any incidents involving Shea Weber throughout the remainder of the playoffs."

The fine money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

Nhl.com

LOL! Who are people kidding thinking Weber would be suspended for that?

Maybe if Weber was a 3rd-pairing plug, like Rome, but he's not. He's an all-star.

Bitz is a 4th line plug. He's far more likely to be suspended. Esp. when Clifford is likely out.

Meanwhile, people are underrating why he went ape on Zetterberg in the first place. He drove Weber's head into the glass from behind. While it was a bit softer (of course, Weber is a horse compared to Zetterberg) and a lot sneakier, it was there. And that's why Weber took exception (to the extreme).

Man, i wish we had Weber on this team. Cheers.

TOML

"It's not what happened. It's who did it."

Ludicrous, absolutely ludicrous. It may be the maximum fine allowed but why wasn't there a disciplinary hearing such as the one Bitz is facing that would allow for more supplementary discipline? That hand on the back of the head forcing someone's head into the boards certainly looked like a 'head shot' to me. And it was retaliation. Those who were all over Keith for his hit on Daniel seem to forget that it was 'retaliation' as well. <_<

If Bitz is suspended then there should be a huge backlash from the fan bases everywhere for the blatant discrepancy between these two incidents and the lack of discipline for one vs the other.

I just don't see the outrage on the Weber hits. I think it looks bad but it was kind of in a scrum after he was hit. I guess I'm a bit biased because I'm going to game three in Detroit and would like to see Weber play but I just don't think it was as awful as some do.

Archived