The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should The Canucks Play A Finesse Speed Game?

canucksnihilist

Should the Canucks play a finesse speed game?  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Should the Canucks play a speed game? It almost won them the cup last year (probably would have if Tampa had been the opponent).

They added toughness, are they even trying to play a speed game now? What happened? Can't they do both to some extent, with toughness backing up their finesse game? Are they trying to be the Bruins?

I think the problem with our current playstyle is we seem to be unable to be a "tough" team without taking penalties. Our tough guys think its okay to take runs at people and its hurting us more than doing us good. The Canucks have been a finesse team for many years and it was only really half way through this season that our style changed. All the sudden our goal production is between 0-3 goals a game, our powerplay dropped DRASTICALLY, and we take more penalities for "roughing" and "charging".

I don't understand what the fascination with a "tough" team is. Our finesse team took us to game 7 of the stanley cup finals last year, and realistically, it wasn't toughness that screwed us over, but a lack of offensive production mixed with poor goaltending/defense.

I miss our finesse game and I'm not a fan of this new tough team.

fot the fourth line

Kassian has been protecting the puck extremely well in the corners in the offensive zone, I just think that he needs Lappy back on his line so they can initiate the cycle and maybe feed it into the slot or back to the point,

All his linemates did last game was dump in the puck and hit the d then back off, they need to play a far more puck possession style game. i hate to say it but they should play a similar style to the was the bruins fourth line in the offensive zone, cycle the puck down low, wear out the d, drive the net then get in little johnnys face

The forwards and D men need to perform more. And this is the playoffs, LU can't be letting weak goals in. None. This is not the time to do that. The whole team (- luongo who played pretty good) need to put 124991385098 % into the game. No half as$ stuff.

:canucks::canucks::canucks:

Actually, the Canucks didn't play a total finesse game last year. They did use their skill and speed, but they backed it up with lots of solid hits and forechecking. This is the style the team should play this year, but it won't really be too different from last year.

Also, it depends on the line. Each line has a different role and different style.

Its odd as I was just thinking about this last night. I think in the end, the style will be partly be determined by the players available (ie. no Sedin) - the previous threads are correct..cant do both - if you dress a big team, you will need to grind out similar to that 1-0 win of St. Louis. If you dress a smaller quicker team, you may want to use a speed game but dont think you can do both. I personally, like to see them try Andrew Ebbetts in there somewhere. You gained some size with Kassian but lost skill without Hodgson. Maybe he can provide the odd goal here and there where it is so tough to score but its worth a shot. Either way, the effort in Game 2 must be much, much better or this will be a very short series!

I don't think there is an intent to go all "bulldozer". It seems like we just don't have an identity right now.

have a feeling that the line shuffling has hurt our chemistry and it may become VERY difficult to get it back. At some point you're not "sending a message" any more... you're just kind-of making everything convoluted.

Then again i'm not a coach so i guess i shouldn't talk.

Well, against the Kings, we need to play guns a balzing. People say that we have been playing low scoring games for a month or two and winning quite well. But L.A. has been doing it all season and does it better. My guess is you dont want to play a stlye that suits your opponent more. Play fast, north and south hockey and get L.A. playing a stlye they arnt used to. What the hell Luongo looks like he can handle a couple extra chances lol. We have the ability to win games in different ways and should guage which style gives us the best chance for the team we are facing. Against teams like Detroit, Chicago, San Jose, play more defensivley. Agaisnt teams like L.A, Nashville and St Lois, play more offensivley.

Archived