The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Official: Byron Bitz Suspended 2 Games

Panjodh

Vancouver Canucks winger Byron Bitz has been suspended two games by the NHL for his hit on L.A. Kings forward Kyle Clifford in the opener of the Canucks' Western Conference quarter-final series Wednesday night.

Bitz had a disciplinary hearing with the National Hockey League's Department of Player Safety on Thursday afternoon.

Bitz received a boarding major and game misconduct at 12:12 of the second period of the contest as a result of the hit.

While attempting to gain puck control, Clifford had his head down and was in a vulnerable position when Bitz caught him and forced his head into the glass.

Clifford stayed on the bench for a while before leaving the game and not returning. The LA Times is reporting that Clifford will also miss Game 2 of the series on Friday night.

I think one playoff game is usually equal to two regular season games? Or is that for the Stanley Cup Finals?

But if that is the case...

Byron Bitz on Kyle Clifford - 4 games

Duncan Keith on Daniel Sedin - 5 games

So Weber does something absolutely stupid. He loses some pocket change. But of course a Canuck player gets suspended. I'm not against the suspension, but this is a joke.

Some of you complain about people talking about "conspiracies," but the NHL sure gives them a reason to think so.

Good call on Bitz. On George the Animal Weber and throwing Zetterberg's head into the turnbuckle, not so much! Oh how I thought it might be different with Shanahan.

I thought they might send out a "What's Not Charging? " video today and show the Kassian and Lapierre penalties. Guess not?

Plain and simple corruption. 2 playoff games equal rougly 6 to 9 reg. season games. But don't worry guys, Keith only got 5 reg. season for purely intentional elbow the to face on Daniel, who did not have the puck and the play was broken because the puck was lost and Sedin was trying to look where it was, in a non-threatening and vulnerable positon . I'm appalled at the double standard. 2,500 for Weber intentially SLAMMING Zetter's head in the board? What a joke.

Bye bye Bitz... I just wish it was longer because I'm hoping taking these 'tough' guys out will give the team no option but to play with skill, and not focus on dives and taking the opponent's players off.

Good trade off though. Bitz isn't a regular, but according to Kings fans Clifford is one of their main tough guys - gets into fights, stands up for his team mates, chips in offensively once in a while, etc. According to NHL.com he doesn't play tomorrow either, so I'll take him out of the series if it means Bitz is gone for two games.

(Of course, no player needs to go through injury... I'm hoping Clifford gets better, just not in time to make an impact in our series).

Also... Weber on Zetterberg...

That definitely deserved a suspension. I think every NHL fan right now except Predator fans see that. A fine isn't enough. If Zetterberg can't finish the series or playoffs, this'll be a huge mistake.

Archived