Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Ethnography

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 ConMar

ConMar

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

Making an attempt to combine work and perhaps change the mood on these boards a little. I was wondering if anyone would like to assist me in a small project. There is a good chance that there will be members in this message board that may have a better understanding of the topic better than me so please excuse the small sample. For anyone that would like to take part, basically answer the questions as best as you can.

1. What seperates you from being a canuck fan and a bandwagoner?

2. Why do you think canucks are labeled as the "most hated team in the league"?

#2 enterin

enterin

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:32 PM

Making an attempt to combine work and perhaps change the mood on these boards a little. I was wondering if anyone would like to assist me in a small project. There is a good chance that there will be members in this message board that may have a better understanding of the topic better than me so please excuse the small sample. For anyone that would like to take part, basically answer the questions as best as you can.

1. answer you are a Troll
2. answer you are a Troll

#3 Zach Morris

Zach Morris

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

1. I've been a Canuck fan since the late 80's (when I was 7 yrs old - And had other interests than gumballz and cardboard forts) - Bure (and Fleury sorry if thats weird) is(are) my favorite player(s) of all time. I've played hockey all my life, I'm Canadian, Hockey Night in Canada was a big deal for my family and I (wonderful wolrd of Disney too), so naturally Hockey was my life. I have attached a part of my being/soul to this team, and this connection is not easily severed. I could go on, but I'll end it here.

2. I'll break this up in two ways - hate for the team, and hate for their fans...... But they will always be entrenched in the "label" of most hated team. IMO we the fans are most responsible for this. I'll also start off saying that our team has not always been the most hated.

A. Mainly Jealousy of a good team - nobody hates Colombus. Bertuzzi - nuff said. Ruutu, Cooke, Burrows, Kesler, Lappierre, etc. We always seem to have pests on our team that other teams fans can't stomach. I for one love these guys, and will defend them in arguments (hence my earlier st8ment). I'll end this segment with Last years playoff performance. Diving, biting, chirping, Sedin not driving Marchand's face into the ice after being punched a number of times. These are some examples, but other people argue that these are not qualities that they would like in their teams players.

B. As fans we give off a Preception of Arrogance, and since we have no Cup, this irritates other fans because they think we have not tangible right to be so arrogant. We are very Hyper Sensitive (recent example the Kings Tweet), and other fans know this so they like to poke the bear or make fun to get a reaction our of us. The Riots in '94 and '10 - After the Olympics Canadians were very proud of Vancouver - after the riots they became embarrassed of Vancouver. There is alot of generalizing, and to coin a phrase a couple bad apples spoils the bunch.

Good luck!!

Edited by Zach Morris, 12 April 2012 - 07:59 PM.

Posted Image

"Incredulous"

#4 7thMan

7thMan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:38 PM

1. A bandwagoner is a fan who cheers for a team inconsistently or changes his or her views of a team based on popular opinion.
2. Because they are skilled and they have players like Kesler and Burrows, who dive, and players like Lapierre, who chirps. People hate the fans as well because we, generally speaking, suck.

#5 canucks.girl1

canucks.girl1

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

A bandwagoner is only on the wagon for while the team is winning. I stick it out through the good games and bad games, wins and losses because I love the team. Most bandwagoners got off the wagon after last seasons game 7 loss.

Because we are good competitors.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 mbal23

mbal23

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

title sounds racist

#7 Zach Morris

Zach Morris

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

title sounds racist

Really????? Well I guess you've given the OP some info for his project!

Posted Image

"Incredulous"

#8 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,007 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

1. What separates you from being a Canuck fan and a bandwagoner?

2. Why do you think Canucks are labeled as the "most hated team in the league"?

1. What separates you from being a canuck fan and a bandwagoner?
I continue to root for the Canucks even when we are losing.
If a player is on a bit of a cold streak, I don't count him out right away. I'll give him a chance to get out of a cold streak before raging on him.

2. Why do you think Canucks are labeled as the "most hated team in the league"?
Two things.
1. We win.
2. We have "Troll" players like Burrows and Lapierre who annoy just about everyone who isn't a Canuck fan.
We are all Canucks

Posted Image
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!
"I'll play on one leg, I don't care" - Ryan Kesler
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#9 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:17 PM

I bleed blue

and everyone is jealous of our awesomeness

#10 mbal23

mbal23

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:29 PM

Really????? Well I guess you've given the OP some info for his project!

just saying... lol. ethno-ethnicity sounds similar

#11 PONCHE

PONCHE

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

1. I tend to not be an irrational idiot. Jokes aside, I follow this team through thick and thin, have been supporting this team since i was 6/7 living in the Vancouver area and continue to stay up to all ungodly hours to watch them play now that i have moved to Ontario.

2. I think the fact that our star players (Sedins) do not fit the model of "Good ol' Canadian Boy" is a part of it. They aren't gifted physically. They are supremely talented, everyone can agree on that, but they are not skilled AND physical (IE, a Rick Nash, Jarome Iginla type) This does not seem to fit the whole hardworking lumberjack stereotype that canadians have, and for some reason try to apply to their hockey teams. As a result of this they appear to be 'less complete' players and perhaps more importantly less complete as individuals. Thus making it all the more infuriating for those who uphold these beliefs (rednecks like Cherry) when they do well.

^tl;dr the captain and his twin are a pair of soft europeans

Add to that the fact that we have role players like Lappiere, Burrows and Kesler (and Cooke and Ruutu when we had them) who appear to run their mouths but then dont back up their actions, and are just in general agitating to play against

And then there is the jealosy angle. We have all of the "faults" i mentioned above, and then we emerage as a good team. And then we develop into a better team. And now suddenly we've developed into one of the more elite teams in the NHL winning the PT in 2 consecutive years with most of our key players being in the running for individual awards in the past three seasons......
Add it all up and i think it gives us a pretty clear picture why they dont like us

PS. Yes i know Kesler and Burrows aren't role players now but that is how they entered the league and they have certainly retained their ability to p!ss ppl off.
Posted Image

#12 nucks07

nucks07

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

I dont really think anyone who has been on CDC for a while is a bandwagoner, quite often "troll" threads are just people venting. CDC is a venting place for the avid fan and people interpret that has "panic" or "trolling". I know after a tough loss I come on CDC and just read people venting as it helps me let go of the game knowing I am not the only one who didn't like a call, or the way the team played etc etc.

Some people take out their frustrations by pouncing on these people and labelling them trolls.

Obviously there is members from other fan bases that do come in here to intentionally start a verbal riot, in which case "trolling" is accurate.

Canucks are hated because not only do we have a bunch of agitators on our team, we have a very large following with a very large voice. WE fans spam forum sites with childish praise for our players and rub our good moments in the faces of other franchises that aren't doing as well as Van City. Also all of North America was cheering for Boston 10 months ago which snowballed into us being the enemy in the trivial good vs evil scenario.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.