The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Most Hated? Not According To Angus Reid / Macleans

Hazard

I feel your pain down here in Calgary bro ! After living here for more than 20 years i have concluded these Albertan's have been seriously brain washed into accepting horrific mediocrity from their teams and the way they play. During the red mile a few years back there were hundreds of arrests after fLAMES games on 17th ave . Whyte ave in EDM was like Beruit FFS ! 400+ arrests in one night ! Do you think they will talk about those incidents ? Albertans have nothing better to do than hate on BC because they live in a frozen waste land of disgruntled Canadians from the rest of Canada .

I live in calgary and the anti-canuck sentiment is overwhelming at times. i literally keep a list of people who send me anti canuck tweets, fb messages and texts and am planning on blowing up their facebook pages with pictures of hank lifting the cup whenever it happens. mature i know.... :bigblush:

"Who is the most hated team in Canada?"

The correct answer is, the majority of Canadians don't hate any team.

(The minority of Canadians who do hate dislike the Leafs)

To me, it proves that media likes to create its own stories and spread it like wildfire. So much for doing your research and fact checking like professionals.

You have to keep this in context. Outside of a few HNIC broadcasts and the odd TSN broadcast nobody outside of BC/Western Canada can really watch Canuck games. 2 games per season against Ottawa, Montreal, and Toronto isn't a whole lot of exposure and it's not like all of Canada watches Canuck games going "boy I hate them, I hope they lose, grrr" when they're not playing their team.

The Leafs, Sens, and Habs all have much bigger rivalries with each other, the Bruins, and the Sabres. At most Leaf fans are bitter with respect to how good the Canucks are compared to the Leafs and even that bitterness is mostly pointed back at the Leafs organization rather than the Canucks. I've been to Leafs-Canucks games and the general atmosphere in the stands isn't "F*** the Canucks", it's disappointment at watching their own team struggle and continuously play so poorly.

I'm from Ontario and the general consensus is pretty much "who cares?". Eastern Hockey fans have much more to worry about than the Canucks. The whole "everyone hates us" and "Eastern bias" arguments are so laughable to me because no Leaf fan really cares about the Canucks when they have such a huge rivalry with the Habs and Sens. And same goes for the Habs and Sens with the Leafs.

The people that repeatedly bring up Toronto's anti-Vancouver attitude obviously haven't been exposed to hockey culture/rivalries in this part of the country. Leaf fans absolutely hate the Sens (battle of Ontario) but nothing comes close to how much animosity Leaf fans and Hab fans have with each other.

With respect to teams/player hatred towards the Canucks most of it can be attributed to the individual players and their antics (Kesler, Burrows, Lapierre) and the rivalries they develop with players on opposing teams (Chicago, Boston, San Jose, Calgary, ect.).

With respect to fans outside of Boston and Chicago (recent heated playoff rivalries), for the most part nobody cares.

In my experience there is far more anti-Toronto sentiment coming from the West and Quebec then there is bitterness/resentment aimed back towards the West and Quebec from Toronto. Again, for the most part nobody in this part of the country really cares. If anything my friends/family who are Leafs fans are proud to have a Canadian team as good and as successful as the Canucks. The only thing I take flack for is the antics of certain players.

Dude, people in my town were chanting "go jets go" (they might have been from Winnipeg) when the Jets got their team back. It's Canada's sport and I think most Canadian hockey fans want our cities to have their teams back. Obviously that happiness for Winnipeg fades somewhat once the season progresses and teams start playing each other and rivalries develop but I for one am proud that Winnipeg have the Jets back and that seems to be the general sentiment with everyone I talk to.

The same seems to go for Quebec City. I'm going to speculate a little bit but I think Ontario hockey fans would rather have Quebec City get their team back first before they would want another one here. We already have the Leafs and Sens, and there are quite a few Red Wings fans South West of Toronto and Habs fans are everywhere. Quebec and Winnipeg had their teams stolen from them. They deserve them back before Ontario gets their 3rd team. We can support another team but that team would literally be a gift. Sure we would probably like one, but we don't really need one, so we can wait to open it.

Go Jets and Go Nordiques.

People just love to talk about the Canucks. ("Feels good, man" B)) Humans especially love to exaggerate everything & conveniently leave out other things that support their bias. The NHL and fans telling us the Canucks are 100% rotten and hated by everyone is like tabloid magazines constantly telling us Jennifer Aniston is alone, desperate and begging Brad Pitt to come back to her every new issue they release. It sells. 5+ years later it still sells. Who knows how long they will keep trying to sell the same story as long as some people are still intrigued & convinced of it.

The hate on the Canucks is very apparent here in Calgary. In our local paper's playoff preview there were plenty of articles bashing the Canucks. I actually kept that issue because i found it so hilarious.

Here are a few quotes from it.

" I'm not going to pretend i like the Canucks. Nobody likes the Canucks. Nobody outside of the sushi dens and granola taverns of Vancouver, anyway.

"Does Lapierre, with his yapping and hacking and never manning up to fight his own battles, represent Canadians, or the way we want hockey played? Gosh, no."

" Would you throw up a little in your mouth if you saw Ryan Kesler handing the Stanley Cup to Maxim Lapierre? Of course you would."

And my favorite of all...

" They whine. They dive. They turtle. They want referees to fight their battles. They are arrogant. They bite people and their fans set fire to police cars."

"Who is the most hated team in Canada?"

The correct answer is, the majority of Canadians don't hate any team.

(The minority of Canadians who do hate dislike the Leafs)

To me, it proves that media likes to create its own stories and spread it like wildfire. So much for doing your research and fact checking like professionals.

The hate on the Canucks is very apparent here in Calgary. In our local paper's playoff preview there were plenty of articles bashing the Canucks. I actually kept that issue because i found it so hilarious.

Here are a few quotes from it.

" I'm not going to pretend i like the Canucks. Nobody likes the Canucks. Nobody outside of the sushi dens and granola taverns of Vancouver, anyway.

"Does Lapierre, with his yapping and hacking and never manning up to fight his own battles, represent Canadians, or the way we want hockey played? Gosh, no."

" Would you throw up a little in your mouth if you saw Ryan Kesler handing the Stanley Cup to Maxim Lapierre? Of course you would."

And my favorite of all...

" They whine. They dive. They turtle. They want referees to fight their battles. They are arrogant. They bite people and their fans set fire to police cars."

Wait... how many non-Habs fans are there in Quebec?

Their favorite team to support of any in the playoffs is the Bruins that puts the whole validity of the survey into question for me.

Every Montrealer I know hates the Bruins.... maybe it is all the Nordiques fans that were phoned, and anyone who smashes a Canadien into the stanchion is good in their books.

Archived