The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Penalty Abuse... 2 Mins For Melting The Ice

Slegr

Here's a challenge for anyone - name the last playoff series the Canucks played against an American team where we ended up with few overall penalties than the opposition.

My guess is you would have to back a long, long ways.

As a western Canadian team, we get the double whammy always. If something is suspension worthy, we don't get off lucky, we get to be the precedent setting example.

If it's a big game, we lose our home starting time, and adjust to accomodate eastern timezones.

But the penalties are what get me. Every playoff series (against American teams), sure, we deserve a lot of the calls, but the non-calls against the other team for similar infractions is bewildering.

We complain. We get called whiners. We create a white towel movement that has come to define us, and yet it continues, every single time.

Would it be a miracle for an 8th place seed to beat a 1st place seed? In today's NHL, not at all. Would it be a miracle though for the Canucks to finish the series with more quality man advantages than the Los Angeles Kings? In today's NHL, yes. Yes it would.

Here's a challenge for anyone - name the last playoff series the Canucks played against an American team where we ended up with few overall penalties than the opposition.

My guess is you would have to back a long, long ways.

As a western Canadian team, we get the double whammy always. If something is suspension worthy, we don't get off lucky, we get to be the precedent setting example.

If it's a big game, we lose our home starting time, and adjust to accomodate eastern timezones.

But the penalties are what get me. Every playoff series (against American teams), sure, we deserve a lot of the calls, but the non-calls against the other team for similar infractions is bewildering.

We complain. We get called whiners. We create a white towel movement that has come to define us, and yet it continues, every single time.

Would it be a miracle for an 8th place seed to beat a 1st place seed? In today's NHL, not at all. Would it be a miracle though for the Canucks to finish the series with more quality man advantages than the Los Angeles Kings? In today's NHL, yes. Yes it would.

The NHL is a complete joke, so freakin inconsistent and rules are enforced/not enforced and made up on the fly.

I just saw Caps goalie Holtby get a penalty for roughing for pushing down the Bruins player infront of the net. It was exactly what Thomas did last year to Hank but he wasn't called and everyone was saying what a good play it was by Thomas.

Like wtf are the damn rules to the NHL...how could the NHL explain the such clear common sense inconsistantsies

I counted up the penalties and it turns out that to find the last series against an American team where we had less penalties you'd have to go all the way back...to June 2011. Boston had more penalties by quite a large margin.

I see where you're coming from but if you're gonna quote stats like that you should at least research them and make sure your assumptions are right.

The NHL is a complete joke, so freakin inconsistent and rules are enforced/not enforced and made up on the fly.

I just saw Caps goalie Holtby get a penalty for roughing for pushing down the Bruins player infront of the net. It was exactly what Thomas did last year to Hank but he wasn't called and everyone was saying what a good play it was by Thomas.

Like wtf are the damn rules to the NHL...how could the NHL explain the such clear common sense inconsistantsies

I counted up the penalties and it turns out that to find the last series against an American team where we had less penalties you'd have to go all the way back...to June 2011. Boston had more penalties by quite a large margin.

I see where you're coming from but if you're gonna quote stats like that you should at least research them and make sure your assumptions are right.

It all doesn't matter. The only way to win the game is to score more goals. We did that in 3 our of 4 series last year. Time to finish the job. All the bitching in the world won't change that.

The fans of every team in the world thinks the refs wrong them. Hockey or otherwise.

There was nothing wrong with Game 1 except for the fact that canucks didn't show up.

So here is a challenge for you. Stop being a homer fan and complaining about the refs. I have a hard time believing you'd win that challenge.

PS 24 teams in the league are american...2 other canadian teams in our conference which are horrible. So obviously we most likely will be playing an american team in the playoffs :picard:

There was nothing wrong with Game 1 except for the fact that canucks didn't show up.

So here is a challenge for you. Stop being a homer fan and complaining about the refs. I have a hard time believing you'd win that challenge.

PS 24 teams in the league are american...2 other canadian teams in our conference which are horrible. So obviously we most likely will be playing an american team in the playoffs :picard:

Archived