The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Penalty Abuse... 2 Mins For Melting The Ice

Slegr

There was nothing wrong with Game 1 except for the fact that canucks didn't show up.

So here is a challenge for you. Stop being a homer fan and complaining about the refs. I have a hard time believing you'd win that challenge.

PS 24 teams in the league are american...2 other canadian teams in our conference which are horrible. So obviously we most likely will be playing an american team in the playoffs :picard:

Re-written as I look foolish for original comment. But it was the Sharks last year.

1st game: 4 Sharks, 1 Canucks

2nd game: 8 Sharks, 3 Canucks

3rd game: 5 Sharks, 9 Canucks

4th game: 5 Sharks, 5 Canucks

5th game:1 Sharks, 4 Canucks

23 Sharks, 22 Canucks, not counting coincidentals. Or penalties at 20:00 minutes of the 3rd period (which were even anyways).

So to conclude, no, not much of a challenge at all.

I'm assuming you're referring to the one on Halak by the Sharks last night? Because I saw the same thing, and thought the same thing. I don't necessarily agree with the OP, I don't think anyone is out to get us with the penalty calls but there is definitely a consistency issue in this league.

Yep, that's the one. And I'm with you (precisely) on the thinking that it's not just us, but there are issues with consistency overall that make it impossible to devise a gameplan to offset things. You're damned if you do/don't. Not long ago, players literally sat on Lu's head and got away with it during the playoffs (Buttuglyone anyone?). Yet, a meager snow shower gets called in some games? Guys are supposed to drive the net and, if a puck is loose, stand on the doorstep to knock it in. Piss poor.

Here's a challenge for anyone - name the last playoff series the Canucks played against an American team where we ended up with few overall penalties than the opposition.

My guess is you would have to back a long, long ways.

As a western Canadian team, we get the double whammy always. If something is suspension worthy, we don't get off lucky, we get to be the precedent setting example.

If it's a big game, we lose our home starting time, and adjust to accomodate eastern timezones.

But the penalties are what get me. Every playoff series (against American teams), sure, we deserve a lot of the calls, but the non-calls against the other team for similar infractions is bewildering.

We complain. We get called whiners. We create a white towel movement that has come to define us, and yet it continues, every single time.

Would it be a miracle for an 8th place seed to beat a 1st place seed? In today's NHL, not at all. Would it be a miracle though for the Canucks to finish the series with more quality man advantages than the Los Angeles Kings? In today's NHL, yes. Yes it would.

The NHL is a complete joke, so freakin inconsistent and rules are enforced/not enforced and made up on the fly.

I just saw Caps goalie Holtby get a penalty for roughing for pushing down the Bruins player infront of the net. It was exactly what Thomas did last year to Hank but he wasn't called and everyone was saying what a good play it was by Thomas.

Like wtf are the damn rules to the NHL...how could the NHL explain the such clear common sense inconsistantsies

I actually did the math on the finals. I left out off setting penalties and game misconducts. The totals were Canucks 26 penalties and the Bruins 30. Hardly what I would call a large margin, and most of that excess was garnered at the end of games in garbage time.

Perhaps its you who should do some research before calling out someone else.

Would it be a miracle for an 8th place seed to beat a 1st place seed? In today's NHL, not at all. Would it be a miracle though for the Canucks to finish the series with more quality man advantages than the Los Angeles Kings? In today's NHL, yes. Yes it would.

There was nothing wrong with Game 1 except for the fact that canucks didn't show up.

So here is a challenge for you. Stop being a homer fan and complaining about the refs. I have a hard time believing you'd win that challenge.

PS 24 teams in the league are american...2 other canadian teams in our conference which are horrible. So obviously we most likely will be playing an american team in the playoffs :picard:

I counted up the penalties and it turns out that to find the last series against an American team where we had less penalties you'd have to go all the way back...to June 2011. Boston had more penalties by quite a large margin.

I see where you're coming from but if you're gonna quote stats like that you should at least research them and make sure your assumptions are right.

Something tells me that the refs aren't being inconsistent based on any bias or scoreboard watching (im sure they DO care about their jobs). Perhaps they're just inconsistant because the job is difficult?

You couldnt pay me enough to put up with all the crap, critism and BIAS FANS. Seeing everything all the time is impossible! when they miss something, everyone screams at them until they call the first stupid penalty they can, to try to "right their wrongs"

and sometimes the inconsistency of calls stems from the rules not being black and white. Ref discretion will give you such things. Snow showers really piss some refs off and not others i guess...

Do the refs usually try to be consistent through a single game at least? If someone turned around and gave Lu a shower would they have called it? If not, then i guess the ref on Lu's end thinks snow shower calls are wussy and have no place in the playoffs.

If you want consistency (which puts the power in the hands of rule-makers instead of refs) then all rules need to be black and white. no ifs, ands, or buts. Then when something DOESN'T get called, its simply because the refs didn't see it. There will be no "make-up" calls and people will just have to deal with it...

Making me want to dig around in storage and find my Genesis and Mutant League hockey game.

Think you had a "waste the ref" play when it was obvious he was bribed and you started finding yourself in the box for "melting the ice" and "making slushies"

Kesler's snow shower gets called. Other teams doing it in this series don't get called at all.

Kassian gets called for Charging. He does the same thing later and nothing happens.

I don't know what your definition for "wrong" is, but this clearly is.

P.S. The guy wasn't talking about how we only get to play against American teams. It's that we get called more because Bettman is trying to push American teams to be more successful and appeal to fans. There's a difference between being a homer and being critical. You, on the other hand, is being an idiot.

Archived