Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Penalty Abuse... 2 Mins For Melting The Ice

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#31 Wheels22

Wheels22

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:17 AM

Would it be a miracle for an 8th place seed to beat a 1st place seed? In today's NHL, not at all. Would it be a miracle though for the Canucks to finish the series with more quality man advantages than the Los Angeles Kings? In today's NHL, yes. Yes it would.

The NHL tried so hard for the Blackhawks to beat us last year in round 1. Remember the Mike Gillis interview on penalties after the series? You're absolutely right.

#32 Yeria

Yeria

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:22 AM

There was nothing wrong with Game 1 except for the fact that canucks didn't show up.

So here is a challenge for you. Stop being a homer fan and complaining about the refs. I have a hard time believing you'd win that challenge.

PS 24 teams in the league are american...2 other canadian teams in our conference which are horrible. So obviously we most likely will be playing an american team in the playoffs :picard:

Kesler's snow shower gets called. Other teams doing it in this series don't get called at all.
Kassian gets called for Charging. He does the same thing later and nothing happens.

I don't know what your definition for "wrong" is, but this clearly is.

P.S. The guy wasn't talking about how we only get to play against American teams. It's that we get called more because Bettman is trying to push American teams to be more successful and appeal to fans. There's a difference between being a homer and being critical. You, on the other hand, is being an idiot.
Posted Image
Thanks to Hockey_Crazy for the sig!

#33 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,492 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

I counted up the penalties and it turns out that to find the last series against an American team where we had less penalties you'd have to go all the way back...to June 2011. Boston had more penalties by quite a large margin.

I see where you're coming from but if you're gonna quote stats like that you should at least research them and make sure your assumptions are right.

I knew that right away, we had like 21 advanatages or something. OP is dumb.

Had to all the way back .... to one series ago. :P

Edited by Dogbyte, 13 April 2012 - 09:38 AM.

There are things known and unknown ... and in between are the doors.

#34 Oregon Canucky

Oregon Canucky

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:29 AM

Something tells me that the refs aren't being inconsistent based on any bias or scoreboard watching (im sure they DO care about their jobs). Perhaps they're just inconsistant because the job is difficult?

You couldnt pay me enough to put up with all the crap, critism and BIAS FANS. Seeing everything all the time is impossible! when they miss something, everyone screams at them until they call the first stupid penalty they can, to try to "right their wrongs"

and sometimes the inconsistency of calls stems from the rules not being black and white. Ref discretion will give you such things. Snow showers really piss some refs off and not others i guess...

Do the refs usually try to be consistent through a single game at least? If someone turned around and gave Lu a shower would they have called it? If not, then i guess the ref on Lu's end thinks snow shower calls are wussy and have no place in the playoffs.

If you want consistency (which puts the power in the hands of rule-makers instead of refs) then all rules need to be black and white. no ifs, ands, or buts. Then when something DOESN'T get called, its simply because the refs didn't see it. There will be no "make-up" calls and people will just have to deal with it...

Edited by Oregon Canucky, 13 April 2012 - 10:55 AM.

Posted Image

Portland Oregon: The first U.S. city to play for the Stanley Cup!

#35 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,076 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 10:41 AM

Something tells me that the refs aren't being inconsistent based on any bias or scoreboard watching (im sure they DO care about their jobs). Perhaps they're just inconsistant because the job is difficult?

Add to that the additional difficulty of knowing the team has a reputation for embellishing. Refs don't want to be made to look like fools by rewarding divers. Even if the tam has changed its ways, it will take time to undo that reputation.
Posted Image

#36 Oregon Canucky

Oregon Canucky

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

Add to that the additional difficulty of knowing the team has a reputation for embellishing. Refs don't want to be made to look like fools by rewarding divers. Even if the tam has changed its ways, it will take time to undo that reputation.

True too! It's not like people become Refs so they can screw up the game... Refs love the game, guys!
(They'd have to to endure all the hate-mail.)

Edited by Oregon Canucky, 13 April 2012 - 11:07 AM.

Posted Image

Portland Oregon: The first U.S. city to play for the Stanley Cup!

#37 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:28 AM

Making me want to dig around in storage and find my Genesis and Mutant League hockey game.

Think you had a "waste the ref" play when it was obvious he was bribed and you started finding yourself in the box for "melting the ice" and "making slushies"

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#38 {nhl}

{nhl}

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

Kesler's snow shower gets called. Other teams doing it in this series don't get called at all.
Kassian gets called for Charging. He does the same thing later and nothing happens.

I don't know what your definition for "wrong" is, but this clearly is.

P.S. The guy wasn't talking about how we only get to play against American teams. It's that we get called more because Bettman is trying to push American teams to be more successful and appeal to fans. There's a difference between being a homer and being critical. You, on the other hand, is being an idiot.

Obviously there are inconsistencies in the reffing between each series and if you can't understand why, you are the idiot my friend. Playoffs is blurred territory for referees since there is more on stake during these games and they tend to turn an eye on plays that they normally would call in the season. Last game they didn't do that, they called it like a season game. However, I won't complain like a homer because even though they made soft calls, they made soft calls for both teams.

If you take away all the must call penalties, you are left with you can say these season-type penalty calls in the game:

Lapierre-charging (same as Stoll)
Kassian-charging (same as Stoll)
Kesler-shower (yes, it was weak, I didn't agree with it but they just made 2 weak calls against LA so they gave them one back)
Martinez-hook (nothing really there, season type hook)
Stoll-charging (same as lap and kass)
Penner-tripping (Sedin went down so easy when he felt that stick between his legs. If you don't think so, your a homer)
Stoll-holding (probably the most ridiculous call. I see holds like that all the time)

It is weird how the immature part of the canuck fanbase that couldn't handle the canucks' loss didn't mention all the bad calls against the kings...very weird. So yes, it was a soft called game, however, it was called evenly. They did not just target the Kings. That will happen, like I said, because playoffs is blurred territory for what is good and bad and you can't expect all officials to have one mind. So if you want to continue to see great playoff games, you will have to take some of the bad games as well.

As for the OP, he was saying how we get called unfairly by the refs against 'American teams' yes? Well, I was just pointing out that we only have 2 other canadian teams in our conference and the last time we saw one was in 03-04...So basically he can't fairly compare how Canucks get judged against American teams and Canadian teams. Which would mean he is basically saying we get bad calls against us in every playoff series we play and I'm sorry, but that is a homer thing to say.

Also, if this Bettman conspiracy against 'canadian teams' is true, Bettman would make sure all canadian teams had a hard time in the playoffs... Don't you think that someone, in the thousands of people that work in the NHL, would have this conspiracy leak out? Especially since Canadians are the most devoted to this sport. Or is it just a bunch of forum trolls looking to make excuses for their team that doesn't play up to par.
I understand, the chicago series was ridiculous. Something was smelly in that particular 1 series last year but if you start generalized that canucks have refs giving them a hard time because Bettman wants the market to be good for american teams, you are an idiot.

Thanks for making our fan base look so classy. We sure can take a lose...
NOBODY BEATS WILLIE

"Give Willie Mitchell a tough assignment and he’ll
treat it like life and death." - Alain Vigneault

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.