The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ballard Back, Rome Out

CanuckLeaf

Very good, about time. I am 100% on board the Ballard Train, and happy to have him back.

With Salo, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler and Ballard and Tanev I think we are okay on the blueline. I am just not a Rome or Alberts fan. Grags will hopefully be our 7th dman to finish out the post season, and going we can just not re-sign Rome.

The only way Alberts would get in is by taking a D off the left side.  I thought Rome (12 minutes,+/-0, no shots) & Tanev (just under 16 minutes, +1, 2shots)played well together again.  Tanev had some jitters on his first couple shifts but settled down and played his steady game.  Canucks were short during the season on the right hand side and Tanev was brought up to fill that 3rd position.  If Ballard shakes off the rust really quick (or is rust-free), plays the simple game, he brings a whole other dimension to our backend that LA will have to think about.  He & Tanev play well together.

I think this is a mistake. Ballard is going to be rusty as hell and I was a bit concerned about his desire to play from his recent comments. I really think this guy is going to shy away from contact because I think he is more concerned about his health than he is about playing.

Even before he got hurt he wasn't much better than Rome. I'd rather see Rome back in.

There's really no reason to move Tanev out to make room for Alberts.  He's playing a steady game on his right side.  The backlog is on the defensive left side.  Tanev would have to have a pretty rough game to get moved from the # 5 position.  He's doing the job and gaining great experience.  He's our future...Alberts and Rome are not.  Tanev & Ballard played well together last year.  Looking forward to tonight!

I think this is a mistake. Ballard is going to be rusty as hell and I was a bit concerned about his desire to play from his recent comments. I really think this guy is going to shy away from contact because I think he is more concerned about his health than he is about playing.

Even before he got hurt he wasn't much better than Rome. I'd rather see Rome back in.

You have to read between the lines a bit but basically Ballard has been symptom free for close to a month but he had no desire to rush back into the lineup. He seemed more than content in taking as much time as possible. On March 28th he himself said he was symptom free but said he was still rusty and wanted to get up to speed. He certainly didn't sound in the interview I saw with him like a guy chomping on the bit to get back. Instead he seemed like he wanted to be overly cautious about returning.

Honestly, I can't say I blame the guy really. He has tons of money and is still getting paid while out and he has had a few concussions now. However, I think once a player starts thinking more about his health than about playing it is a problem. I really think Ballard should be just shut down for the year because I suspect he is going to be walking on egg shells out there tonight and the Canucks don't need that.

Archived