The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Knocking The Puck Over The Glass, Why Is This A Penalty?

sQuish

Delay of Game Penalty  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I can't speak on behalf of the orinigal post, but I'm assuming he means batting it out of air instead of directly shooting it out of play? This, IMO, usually is by pure accident if it goes out of play and should not be a penalty.

It was added to the rule book when the NHL was trying to find ways to get more goals in games. Teams trapped in their own zone would often clear the puck over the glass intentionally to relieve pressure. I get where they're coming from, but I really don't think it should be a penalty... when it happens entirely accidentally when the team isn't even under any realistic pressure, it's pretty lame. I think it should instead be like an icing, where the face-off is in your zone and you can't change.

Could you imagine a Stanley Cup final, game 7, overtime game being decided by a power play gained off of an accidental delay of game penalty? Brutal.

As I made in another post, the problem with this rule is that nowadays, the ice in many of the arenas is soft which creates more chances of bouncing pucks which may lead to one being shot over the glass accidentally. The punishment does not really fit the crime especially in cases where it creates a two man advantage for the other team. We all know that in the playoffs in overtime, the refs essentially put their whistles away when it comes to hooking, grabbing etc... You would literally have to hog tie someone in front of the net to get called especially if you are already shorthanded and trying to kill off a penalty. So what sense does it make that you can literally tackle someone to prevent a scoring chance without getting a penalty but accidently shooting the puck out while trying to bank it off the boards gets you 2 minutes?

definitely should NOT be a penalty. it's so very similar to icing. if you're skilled/lucky a player can send the puck down ice so that icing is negated, just like sending it over the glass (if you're skilled/lucky it goes off the glass first). there is NO good reason ffor this to be an infraction. face-off on the side it went out and don't allow the team to change lines. the biggest "delay of game" comes from assessing whether something as simple as this is a penalty, then any arguments, etc... it's silly, really.

I don't love the rule but I agree with it. Obviously people are going to have more negative opinions about it when it hurts the team you are cheering for. There was no thread about this rule last year when it worked very much in the Canucks favor (SJS series). In my opinion this penatly is most often a result of a mental error by the player shooting the puck...the Canucks simply were not mentally prepared in game 1 and it showed when they got 2 of these penalties back to back...not to mention the overall play in the first couple periods.

It's a penalty because it was a common way to relieve offensive pressure without icing the puck. It does delay the game. The only people who used to be called for it were goalies which was stupid because 9 times out of 10 they did it by accident while defensemen intentionally did it.

I'd go with the no penalty, no line-change for the offending team, coupled with something like making it a penalty if it happens twice in 2ish minutes. (A bit like how if your team gets waved from a face-off twice consecutively it's a penalty)

I don't like it, but I believe it is neccessary.

If that rule were negated now, I'm as sure as can be that we'd see players every game on multiple occasions purposfully shooting the puck into the stands to get a stoppage in play to relieve D-zone pressure.

Archived