The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Knocking The Puck Over The Glass, Why Is This A Penalty?

sQuish

Delay of Game Penalty  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've had this discussion with my buddies over and over and I was wondering what the general opinion of fellow CDC'ers would be on this subject.

We see it time and time again, sometimes it bites us in the ass (e.g. Game 1), sometimes we reap the benefits. Getting a 2-minute penalty for accidentally shooting/knocking/hitting the puck over the glass in your own zone seems like a ridiculous penalty to me.

I've even seen this called when a D-man was trying to prevent a 2on1 saucer pass across to the guy streaking down the other side, and managed to prevent the play by hitting it upwards and over the glass. He got a delay of game penalty for it. To me that seems ludicrous. It was a great defensive hockey play.

I don't see much attention paid to this rule from commentators and the panels, so I wonder if I'm in the minority here?

A few alternatives we came up with were:

1) treat it like an icing, where the defending team can't change. This still penalizes, albeit less drastically.

2) leave it up to the discretion of the refs/linesmen. If it's clear that the defending player shot it over to get out of a jam, then yes, it should be a penalty. But if it's a total fluke/accident, then no.

What do you all think?

It's a penalty because it was a common way to relieve offensive pressure without icing the puck. It does delay the game. The only people who used to be called for it were goalies which was stupid because 9 times out of 10 they did it by accident while defensemen intentionally did it.

The Ref's have shown that they are struggling making offside calls, so having them make a discretionary call is out of the ?. Plus accidental is tough. Most high sticks are accidental (except Mcsorleys).

I like the icing call, because its really close to the same thing as icing. In both plays the defending team is technically just trying to relieve pressure.

The Ref's have shown that they are struggling making offside calls, so having them make a discretionary call is out of the ?. Plus accidental is tough. Most high sticks are accidental (except Mcsorleys).

I like the icing call, because its really close to the same thing as icing. In both plays the defending team is technically just trying to relieve pressure.

I like the idea of shooting the puck over the glass being called, it was common for goalies and defenseman to shoot it out to get a change and avoid icing. I don't like the call if it is knocked out of mid air.

Back in the day there was a constant series of shots over the glass. As has been pointed out, it breaks the other team's flow. It was abused horribly such that the NHL had no choice but to make it a penalty.

They initially started by leaving it up to the on ice officials, but there were too many instances of calls which were made and calls which weren't, and sometimes they happened on consecutive shifts. It is just easier and safer to make it a penalty regardless of how and why it happens.

regards,

G.

This rule should stay as is because a team gets it only when its directly over teh glass in thier own zone. Therefore, most of teh times you are under pressure and just want a whistle, so what can we do to get that? Dump teh puck out of there adn re group, this would happen far too often if it wasnt a pentaly, .

I like it. I am sure if it wasn't a penalty, a whole lot of defenceman would learn how to shoot the puck over the glass. It also brings an exciting edge to the game. Keep it the way it is and have players be more disciplined if they don't want to take those penalties.

being old enough to remember teams like the "bret hulls foot was in the crease" dallas stars become defensive powerhouses by endlessly flipping the puck over the glass over and over and over and over and over again..... this is a good rule to keep the play on the ice surface. i like it as is. If anything the nhl rules need more of these "black and white" calls that aren't left up to the refs desgression as to wheather they area a penalty or not.

I like the rule the way it is. If you're in a pressure situation with the other team buzzing & you flip the puck over the glass, an icing call is not nearly severe enough a deterrent to prevent that action. Same thing with purposefully knocking the net off, those are two cheap ways to relieve the pressure & simply calling it an icing is not going to do much as far as deterrence. Not to mention that both impede the flow of the game, something which makes hockey the great sport that it is.

Flip the puck over the glass and out of play, that's a penalty. Keeping the puck in play, but shooting it down the ice...well, that's just icing & never the two shall meet.

I've loved the rule ever since it was implemented. Sure, it bit us in the ass in Game 1, but really, we're to blame for that. As others have said, it was common to just clear the puck over the glass to get a whistle a few years back.

As for leaving it up to the referees, that's plain stupid. They are already having enough trouble with the pace of the game, and since the rule is BLACK AND WHITE, there have been hardly any controversies surrounding it. That's what we want.

I didn't see anybody complaining last year when the SJS took the delay of game penalty to put us on 3 consecutive 5-on-3 powerplays (which scored on all of them).

Archived