The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks' Schneider Apologizes For Comments Regarding Oilers

Edler0023

Vancouver Canucks goaltender Corey Schneider offered an apology Friday for comments he made in reference to the Edmonton Oilers.

In trying to explain how he thought the Canucks have been painted in a negative way by the media, Schneider pointed out that being a hated team simply comes with the territory of being the Presidents' Trophy winners.

"Nobody cares about Edmonton so nobody hates them. It's that simple," Schneider told NBC Sports.

Schneider also commented on the recurring stories that were stirred up after the Los Angeles Kings official Twitter account issued the following tweet after Game 1: "To everyone in Canada outside of BC, you're welcome."

"What's frustrating to us is when the national media and people outside the city parachute in and form these opinions," Schneider continued. "They take things for facts that aren't really facts. If you talk to us and spend any time with us, you understand we're good guys

Schneider established himself as one of the NHL's premier backups, posting a 20-8-1 record with a 1.96 goals against average and .936 save percentage in the 2011-12 season.

The 26-year-old native of Marblehead, MA., was selected 26th overall in the 2004 NHL Entry Draft and is in his second full season with the Canucks.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=393050

I don't even ...

I didn't even know he made such comments in the first place ...does anyone see anything wrong with what he said? IMO, he's just stating the fact that we're successful = hate, Oilers not successful = no one cares about hating them.

Guest Dasein

I think it warrants an apology.

Edmonton's been a terrible team for years now and has the 1st overall pick 3 years in a row. Kicking someone when they're down is never a classy thing to do. They know they suck and there's no reason to rub it in especially when you're #1 in the league for two years in a row.

Just imagine if Billy Ranford made that comment about the Canucks in the 80's when he was a backup to Fuhr on a Dynasty Oilers team. Cory made a mistake and he's being respectful by recognizing that he did.

EDIT: and even if it doesn't warrant an apology, it's still the classy thing to apologize as it may have offended some people. It never hurt anybody to say sorry.

Maybe directing attention too himself isn't a bad thing. With Luongo's solid performance combined with Cory's comments (he was bang on BTW), most of the attention will be off Luongo unless the team loses Game 2. Then people will start to wonder if Cory gets the start in game 3.

As for the comment itself, he should've just chosen his words better. I can see exactly where he's coming from though. Think about it. You take the Canucks and OIlers and swap them in the standings, the Oilers wouldn't exactly be Canada's team either.

The only thing he said that was wrong is "nobody cares about edmonton" he made a small mistake there.. a few angry trolls care about edmonton hehe. No in all seriousness though he should just said Nobody cares about teams that are out of the playoffs and this would be a non-issue, he apologized so whatever no biggie imho.

Guest Dasein

Maybe directing attention too himself isn't a bad thing. With Luongo's solid performance combined with Cory's comments (he was bang on BTW), most of the attention will be off Luongo unless the team loses Game 2. Then people will start to wonder if Cory gets the start in game 3.

As for the comment itself, he should've just chosen his words better. I can see exactly where he's coming from though. Think about it. You take the Canucks and OIlers and swap them in the standings, the Oiler's wouldn't exactly be Canada's team either.

Bah. Cory was just using Edmonton as an example. They aren't hated because they aren't winning. He could have picked any team that didn't make the playoffs this year in reference to the topic they were discussing.

An apology was not needed, and the media always takes things out of context.

I think we should all be allowed to take our shots at Edmonton while their prospects are still adjusting to the NHL.

Hall RNH Eberle

Jones Gagner Yakupov

They will have some very scary looking top 6 in a couple years. As long as Tambellini doesn't drop the ball, they will be one of the most exciting looking team in the NHL.

I also predict that they will be the first team that will challenge Canucks for the NW title since we have won quite clearly in recent years.

I think we should all be allowed to take our shots at Edmonton while their prospects are still adjusting to the NHL.

Hall RNH Eberle

Jones Gagner Yakupov

They will have some very scary looking top 6 in a couple years. As long as Tambellini doesn't drop the ball, they will be one of the most exciting looking team in the NHL.

I also predict that they will be the first team that will challenge Canucks for the NW title since we have won quite clearly in recent years.

If Lui plays the way he did in game 1 and we lose tonight, then nobody is going to wonder if Cory gets the start in game 3 unless they are thinking of dressing Cory as a forward to score some goddamn goals.

Archived