Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Watching Games On Mute?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#31 Brambojoe

Brambojoe

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

if you are watching in digital you might be able to get the crowd sounds without the commentary by unplugging or muting the centre speaker. this has worked for me in the past and makes for a great watching experience.

#32 NordicNinja

NordicNinja

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

I read somewhere on CDC that if you had 5.1 surround sound and disabled the middle speaker then you got to watch the game without the commentary.

You could try that.

I've been doing this for years. I posted it in a thread a while back and right after someone made a topic dedicated to the idea.

It can depend on the feed ie Sportsnet vs CBC. I don't do it all the time but I can tell you that it works very well on CBC as the commentary comes entirely out of the center channel. For whatever reason, on sportsnet, some of the commentary comes out of the front channels so it doesn't work as well.

On my receiver I can control the relative volume of each channel independently, so normally I would the turn center channel down to -10 which essentially eliminates the play by play and color commentary while leaving the game sounds, crowd, and arena at full blast. You could also unplug the center channel all together which might be more effective. Your choice of decoding might also effect the results, ie DTS vs PLIX settings.

When it works well it's amazing, especially if you have a really big TV. I have half season tickets myself so I've been to many games, but I can tell you that when you have good surround sound, a big TV, and you crank the volume with the play by play/commentary turned off... It's almost as good as being there. The roar of the crowd during during an odd man rush or a wild sustained attack gives you goosebumps, more so than being at the game. It really is quite dramatic! I recommend giving it a try, but keep in mind that your receiver settings and the channel/feed could effect the results.

Enjoy!

#33 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

So stoked to try this out.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#34 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

You cant use DTS decoding as the broadcast is in Dolby.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#35 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,611 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

Yeah i'm going to try the center speaker method as well. Thanks for your input, everyone. Even you, gushybear, for quoting: Cheers.

TOML

"Only the internet: Where a person who goes by the name 'gushybear' gets to say what's what."

comeundone.gif

#36 Russ

Russ

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,421 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:20 PM

I used to mute and put on the radio on 1040 and listen to Shorty on there (before he got moved to TV)
Xbox Live - Lenerdosy
PSN - Lenerdosy

Interested in a game of NHL or BF3? Send me a friend request and lets play.

#37 NordicNinja

NordicNinja

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

I'm watching CBC and TSN right now, center channel unplugged. It works awesome. You can even hear guys yelling on the ice more. Like I said before, works perfectly on these channels but I think Sportsnet has some of the commentary come through the front speakers.

#38 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:35 PM

I usually watch the games with the commentary off..(you are the commentator)..if its a good game,then rewatch for the tidbits....

#39 Cannucker

Cannucker

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

dude suck it up, the announcing is not biased, its FAIR...as vancouverites we are forced to listen to homer announcing on sportsnet so listening to CBC is a reason to complain, and how can you mute Jim Hughson the mans a legend and I bet hes thrilled to announce something other then the leafs. Its taking him every muscle in his body to not yell out "Go Canucks Go"

#40 TheFleetwoodMack

TheFleetwoodMack

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 06:02 PM

You could always just watch the punjabi feed of HNIC.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.