The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I Thought The Hodgson Trade Was Suppose To Make Us Better For The Playoffs

ccc44

When you change your team from 3 line offence to 2 line offence, and your defence isn't any stronger than before, it is bad.

Hated the Hodgson trade since day 1. Still have complete faith in MG though. It isn't his job to motivate the team.

Errrrr guys...... Hodgson wouldn't have made a difference. End thread...... He didn't help Buffalo at all, he probably wouldn't have done much for us either. Not saying he's a bad player or anything..... hes skilled, but no.... you guys are epic fail on blaming this loss on not having Cody HOdgson because we traded him for Kassian. You guys are totally epic fail on this. He might have a scored a goal tonight, but by judging by how Quick's playing... he probably would have stopped what ever shots, HOdgson would have fired at him. At this point, YOU CANNOT BLAME TONIGHTS LOSS OR GAME 1'S LOSS ON THE TRADE. It just doesn't make sense. I do somewhat agree that Kassian is probably not ready yet... but cmon. Cody HOdgson??? really? What about Edler, Kesler, Burrows, Hamhius Bieska, Booth Higgins, the list goes on. What bout those guys?

I wouldn't say Cody would make a huge difference, but a shot is a shot, and a goal is a goal. Any kind of success must build on small things.

However, the point of the OP is that the trade was suppose to upgrade the current team, not downgrade them. Most people are just missing the point.

i suppose if the point is to simply focus on the original post you are probably correct. but there are many many sides to this trade coin and i think cody love may be clouding some ppl's vision. i trust mg and believe he made the trade for a reason. whatever that reason may be we may never know. the blunt fact is- theres no crystal ball to tell us if hodgson would have truly made a difference or not. the same way that many here on cdc believed the canucks had this 'other gear' they were about to shift into come playoff time. it's always great to have wishful thinking but until you can see the result it's just that....

and since we can never see what may have been the result on a non-trade with buffalo....moot.

I'm hoping for a 1st round exit. Hopefully it will force some very necessary changes once and for all like getting rid of AV and Luongo too. Something drastic has to happen to open their eyes to reality. They also deserve it for trading Hogdson. That was a trade that took stupidity to new extremes.

The thing about Hodgson is that he was such a clutch player. He would do extremely well under pressure and in narrow situations. The type of shots he put into the net were truly a scorers' goals. Most of the goals by the other Canucks this season were just trashy goals from rebounds and loose pucks, empty nets.

I don't know, I have a feeling that if Cody was still around, he WOULD be the difference maker in the playoffs. Certainly more so than Kassian. Sometimes, clutch players are what make or break a team.

I'm hoping for a 1st round exit. Hopefully it will force some very necessary changes once and for all like getting rid of AV and Luongo too. Something drastic has to happen to open their eyes to reality. They also deserve it for trading Hogdson. That was a trade that took stupidity to new extremes.

No one could have predicted Daniel to miss time with the concussion, so in this case OP is right. Kassian is still young and very raw. He's afraid to do things on the ice that may not be seen in good light by the coaching staff. He's playing very strictly under 'the system' which given time, he could play it well, but as is, Cody would have been the more appropriate guy in this lineup right now.

I wouldn't say Cody would make a huge difference, but a shot is a shot, and a goal is a goal. Any kind of success must build on small things.

However, the point of the OP is that the trade was suppose to upgrade the current team, not downgrade them. Most people are just missing the point.

Pahlsson has been great. He is the one who was brought in to improve the roster this year. I prefer him over Cody on the 3rd.

Kassian and MAG were acquired for the future. They have replaced Weise and Sulzer in the lineup (and pressbox), which is an upgrade this year, and a huge improvement long term imo.

The PP misses Cody for sure, but 5 on 5 this squad is more playoff ready now.

I dsagree with you O.P. OK, lets be honest, Kassian hasnt' done much for us, but cmon, the way we are palying you can't honestly say Hodgson would have made a difference. He proably wouldn't have. Also Cody Hodgson was probably the reason why Buffalo missed the playoffs. THey were investing so much ice time in him, that it costed them a playoff spot. They wasn't scoring for them AND he was getting scored on when he was on the ice. So to say we wish we had Hodgson, I disagree. However Kassian needs to be step it up.

Archived