The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I Thought The Hodgson Trade Was Suppose To Make Us Better For The Playoffs

ccc44

MG's hands were kind of forced, in the sense that having 3 scoring centres is a waste of valuable assest, especially with 2 veterans already locked up long term. That was his reason. I think it makes perfect sense to trade Hodgson in one form or another. But the timing as well as the return was just not that great. A team poised to make another deep run needs depth. A depth for depth kind of trade would've been reasonable. But obviously the Buffalo trade wasn't the case. MG had to make something happen with Hodgson, unfortunately he just couldn't make a better deal in today's cap econmy.

I agree that blaming the team's lack of performance on the absence of Cody Hodgson is absurd, but the team would have benefited from some PP skills or some depth in D via a trade. And for the record, I'm no Hodgson lover nor do I idiolize anyone. The only thing I want is our team winning the cup. Simple as that.

What's the surprise here?

I think both AV and MG stated that this deal WASN'T DONE FOR THE PLAYOFFS. It was done to secure a young and different type of player than CoHo. There was no expectation from the team that this deal made them better for the playoffs. It was done for the future.

Agree about the timing though...this should have happened in the off-season. But it appears it happened when it did because CoHo was considered "toxic" somehow and a player with Kassian's potential was offered at that time, an offer that would probably go away if not taken.

The timing sucks, the disruption to the team appears to have been disastrous, but it is what it is. In the future some of you may think different if Kass blossoms into the rare type of player that MG saw potential for.

this was a horrible trade that made no sense at the time and no sense now. They traded away the future for a plumber.

They had 3 scoring lines before. In past playoffs Kesler always seems to become invisible, and the Sedins arent aggressive enough to take it to the next level when their cycling gets shut down. This year was perfect in that Hodgon was coming into his own as a playmaker and scorer. And they trade him away for a bag of pucks? If the Canucks were having a problem with him why did they tell everyone he was not available for trades? Because that left a lot of other NHL teams out of the mix who were interested in Cody. They should have let the league know that he was up for grabs so they could have got the very best trade possible for him. Trade him for a different line 2 scorer.

Kassian may be good in the future or theres a possibility he will always just be a 4th line plug that you could have gotten from waivers or off your minor league. Detroit had always modelled skilled players above grinders and they have done well. This year Canucks finally had a great mix. 3 scoring lines. They traded it away for a guy that plays 4 minutes a game? Horrible trade. Make no sense for the present or the future. Gillis might as well have traded Calgary for their zamboni.

What's the surprise here?

I think both AV and MG stated that this deal WASN'T DONE FOR THE PLAYOFFS. It was done to secure a young and different type of player than CoHo. There was no expectation from the team that this deal made them better for the playoffs. It was done for the future.

Agree about the timing though...this should have happened in the off-season. But it appears it happened when it did because CoHo was considered "toxic" somehow and a player with Kassian's potential was offered at that time, an offer that would probably go away if not taken.

The timing sucks, the disruption to the team appears to have been disastrous, but it is what it is. In the future some of you may think different if Kass blossoms into the rare type of player that MG saw potential for.

You're grasping for straws thinking that Hodgson would be the answer to everything that has happened in the last 2 games.

I think it has a lot more to do with a missing leading goal scorer, role players not playing their roles *cough* Edler/Bieksa/Kesler, and a team clearly not prepared coming into the playoffs.

You're grasping for straws thinking that Hodgson would be the answer to everything that has happened in the last 2 games.

I think it has a lot more to do with a missing leading goal scorer, role players no playing their roles *cough* Edler/Bieksa/Kesler, and a team clearly not prepared coming into the playoffs.

I think it has a lot more to do with a missing leading goal scorer, role players no playing their roles *cough* Edler/Bieksa/Kesler, and a team clearly not prepared coming into the playoffs.

Yep, and likely will continue to do so. At least some of us see it. It's not just about Hodgson himself, folks! It's about the identity of the team when he was on the roster and how the complexion of the roster changed when he was replaced. The Canucks were a legitimate, dangerous 3 line scoring team when they had the Sedins and Burrows, the AMEX line, and Raymond-Hodgson-Hansen as the 3rd line. People forget that a huge reason why Hansen enjoyed a career season this year was because he was playing with a skilled, future top 6 centreman in Hodgson. He'll always be an effective player because he's so multi-dimensional, but he enjoyed his scoring burst earlier in the season because of his chemistry with Cody Hodgson.

After Hodgosn was traded, the team stopped being a loaded offensive team and started grinding. People loved it at first, especially when Kassian scored a goal and added an assist against his former team in his 2nd game with the Canucks, but the novelty has largely worn off now. The Canucks just aren't as effective, aren't as dangerous, and they totally got away from their identity. These were the thoughts that crossed my mind the minute I heard Hodgson was traded. It's quite possible Kassian develops into an impact player for the Canucks, but it's just as possible that the trade ends up being another complete and utter blunder for this franchise.

Yes. Hodgson is the better player. The Sabres won the trade. We would be better off right now with Hodgson in the lineup. But what do you expect MG to do when a guy wants out? Just keep him here against his will? Let him become a distraction and a cancer in the dressing room? He had to be moved.

"I Thought The Hodgson Trade Was Suppose To Make Us Better For The Playoffs"... You thought wrong. Kassian is a puppy. He's a deer in the headlights right now. He might end up being a good player in 2 or 3 years. Or, he might end up playing in the AHL. Hodgson, meanwhile, would be playing Daniel Sedins position. Regardless, the Sedin lead Canucks have not delivered the Cup. We've seen this movie before. The ending is not going to change. Here is a fact to think about: In their history, no Canuck defenceman has been inducted to the NHL hall of fame. Not one. No Canuck defenceman has played for Team Canada. Not one. The Canucks have never won the Cup. Not one. Unless and until... It's a fact, Jack, you need at least one bona fide superstar on 'D' to win the Cup. The Canucks don't have one and won't win the Cup until they do.

Archived