Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

I Thought The Hodgson Trade Was Suppose To Make Us Better For The Playoffs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
279 replies to this topic

#151 Provost

Provost

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

Actually, he never had as much ice time as his wingers on the third line, who tended to get 2 to 3 minutes more ice time per game.

ummm because they were playing on the PK and he wasn't.... not sure what your point there was aside from Hodgson being less useful to the team than 3rd line wingers.

He also went 16 games with a single assist from the middle of February to the middle of March... and that while playing significant minutes for many of those games and getting a ton of power play time. You can't just take a small window of time and use it to make your argument and entirely ignore the rest of reality.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#152 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

THIS.
this post should be the final word in this thread imo. +1

When threads just keep ragging on and on with roughly the same opinions being exchanged, there should be a certain point where a "the final word" vote comes into effect. If a particular post overwhelmingly covers the consensus, then the thread could be closed and/or the "final word" moves to right below the OP's post!
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#153 Ktakatch

Ktakatch

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

The thing about Hodgson is that he was such a clutch player. He would do extremely well under pressure and in narrow situations. The type of shots he put into the net were truly a scorers' goals. Most of the goals by the other Canucks this season were just trashy goals from rebounds and loose pucks, empty nets.

I don't know, I have a feeling that if Cody was still around, he WOULD be the difference maker in the playoffs. Certainly more so than Kassian. Sometimes, clutch players are what make or break a team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_6WUK2BLc8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxdNh2e7A34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq9iP7IN06k

3 clutch goals? wow ur right hes the most clutch player ever

#154 Provost

Provost

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,115 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:55 AM

3 Career Game Winning Goals!!! Now that is my definition of clutch!
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#155 filthycanuck

filthycanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:22 PM

+1

And its not so simplistic as the exaggerated counter opinion that Cody would not have single handedly won the first two games. Of course he couldn't have.

But he would have created a domino effect. Not only might he have made or set up another goal we needed in game one, a more offensively potential third line would have kept Sutter's team more neutered.

We traded our 4th leading scorer, having a breakout year and comfortable with his teammates, for a big shy teddy bear of a rookie who will take years of development to become anything near what they want of him or what they said they were getting out of the deal. I'd not be surprised if he spends next year in the minors.

It may EVENTUALLY work out, although I predict huge things for Hodgson as well, but if you are talking about the NOW, so far its a miserable failure. And with a short window, Gillis may have just p***ed away this years chance.

EXACTLY...wasn't Grags and Kassian supposed to contribute to THIS PLAYOFF RUN? nope..haven't seen it, hell Grags hasn't even seen the ice in the post season cuz hes attrocious in his own end. This trade was made because our bone headed coach simply had some sort of vendetta against Hodgson, why else would guys like Bitz, Ebbett, and most noticeably Mason Raymond have chances on being on the top 6? The kid was our 4th leading scorer, probably one of the most consistent ones at that before February (he was slumping a bit) and we traded him for pieces that have little or no use for us in this playoff run. I don't care what Hodgsons contract is next season, or if Gragnani has boat loads of potential, NOBODY CARES, we want a long playoff run NOW

Ever notice how the most 3 most promising prospects this franchise has had in recent memory, that actually MADE it to the bigs, and contributed have all been traded? Grabner, Hodgson, Shirokov. Grabs is having a down year but hes still better than Mason Raymond, Hodgson had his ups and downs with the Sabres but no doubt hes going to pick it up next year, and Shirokov is playing lights out in the KHL. All 3 guys, traded because they didn't have room to move up the depth chart, too small, too slow (not Grabs)..we can attest that to the coach being so obsessed with past performance, size and grit. The fact we are treating Mason Raymond like hes a big deal, getting all these prime time minutes, just because he was what ...a 25 goal scorer 3 seasons ago, and hes been here longer is appalling.

From Mike Gillis said after the Hodgson trade, there was some philosophical difference that had to be made for this playoff run and it sounded like he was very reluctant on going for grit and size, playing that grinding style of hockey that Vigneult loves, well guess what, so far its not looking good, and it might cost Bam Bam his job.

Leave it to the French to screw up everything for everybody

#156 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

3 Career Game Winning Goals!!! Now that is my definition of clutch!

For a rookie that is definitely clutch playing half the minutes of your star players, it wasn't just all about him scoring clutch goals, but also being able to set up players for clutch goals!

Eh8NO.jpg

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#157 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

ummm because they were playing on the PK and he wasn't.... not sure what your point there was aside from Hodgson being less useful to the team than 3rd line wingers.

He also went 16 games with a single assist from the middle of February to the middle of March... and that while playing significant minutes for many of those games and getting a ton of power play time. You can't just take a small window of time and use it to make your argument and entirely ignore the rest of reality.

But thats exactly what you just did...

And these struggles only came after AV put him out on the fourth line in spite of Hodgson's exemplary play.

And Im pretty sure you can write off the problems he had adjusting with the Sabres, hes a rookie for one thing.

Edited by Red Light Racicot, 15 April 2012 - 12:53 PM.

#158 DaMacNamedDre

DaMacNamedDre

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:19 PM

Thanks to the Boston formula and the Weber 2500,00 wristslap the NHL has gone total caveman.

If anyone still thinks Cody Hodgson could survive the playoff savagery i would welcome them to watch the games from yesterday.
Ive never seen the first round so vicious, ever.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Posted ImageBodee, on 18 April 2012 - 11:07 AM, said:

I haven't been a supporter of the Canucks for long. Mainly because firstly I know nothing about NHL and secondly ESPN America only started showing NHL 3 years ago.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/328055-whats-wrong-with-me
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

#159 ashbury

ashbury

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

I loved the lineup with Hodgson in it. It gave us three lines that are a real threat to score every time they are on the ice. No team could match that. I don't know why Gillis would won't to make our team more defensive by replacing him with pahlsson. Our team lost it's identity after the trade. I'm still excited for Kassian though I think he will become a big star. I just would of like to see what the Hodgson version of this team could do in the playoffs

#160 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

I hope Kassian can develop into a real power forward for the future, and Gragnani can turn into an Erhoff given the chance, but for now, on THIS run, Hodgson certainly would have been more beneficial.

The trade was confusing since the whole plan was to have 3 lines that can score, which we had with Hodgson. Trading him simply made us back into a 2 line deep team with 2 checking lines. And now we can't score...

Trading Hodgson and losing Daniel to injury accounted for 25% of the goals the team had scored. That was 2 of our top 4 goal,scorers. It's no surprise we can't seem to score now... with those two gone/out, our offense is barely middle of the pack.

#161 js604

js604

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

Your IQ is mind blowing. I selected only 3 examples from YouTube (against the big name teams) as to not clutter up the thread with videos. Are all the Hodgson haters equally slow? Or is it just you and Gillis?

Edited by js604, 15 April 2012 - 06:42 PM.

#162 foskco87

foskco87

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

We were better off with Hodgson, attack me all you want I will never stop believing it. Hodgson was stronger on the puck than Kassian is and he is half his size, not to mention his vision on the ice, wrist shot, face off capability, defensive responsibility, and overall potential. Hodgson was a garunteed franchise player. Kassian is a bunch of could be's but so far he just doesnt have any presence of any kind on our team. Im not saying Kassian is bad, he just isnt anything. If AV didnt like hodgson I cant see him liking Kassian, or schroeder, or jensen for that matter. Ugh, anyone else feel like we threw away our future just to win the cup this year, which lets be honest isnt looking too good so far. Not saying I dont believe. But I would believe more if we had Hodgson.

#163 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,151 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:08 PM

We were better off with Hodgson, attack me all you want I will never stop believing it. Hodgson was stronger on the puck than Kassian is and he is half his size, not to mention his vision on the ice, wrist shot, face off capability, defensive responsibility, and overall potential. Hodgson was a garunteed franchise player. Kassian is a bunch of could be's but so far he just doesnt have any presence of any kind on our team. Im not saying Kassian is bad, he just isnt anything. If AV didnt like hodgson I cant see him liking Kassian, or schroeder, or jensen for that matter. Ugh, anyone else feel like we threw away our future just to win the cup this year, which lets be honest isnt looking too good so far. Not saying I dont believe. But I would believe more if we had Hodgson.

Posted Image
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#164 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,673 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:18 PM

couldn't have answered better myself. hodgson wouldn't make the massive difference that some people who are still swinging from his bag believe.

Yeah be ause Hodgson never scored a few clutch game winning goals for us before he was traded or anything...

... Oh wait.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#165 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

I loved the lineup with Hodgson in it. It gave us three lines that are a real threat to score every time they are on the ice. No team could match that. I don't know why Gillis would won't to make our team more defensive by replacing him with pahlsson. Our team lost it's identity after the trade. I'm still excited for Kassian though I think he will become a big star. I just would of like to see what the Hodgson version of this team could do in the playoffs

Agreed.

Especially since it could be said with some assurance that Kesler probably wasnt going to have the same kind of year, and the Canucks on defence and as a team werent going to be as productive offensively.

Hodgson provided a source of offence that I felt was extremely valuable, and now its like... we have a checking team that has very limited offensive creativity and relies almost completely on goaltending.

The powerplay has been solved, or abandoned, or something. Its been like this for months, surely a problem like that registers with the coaching staff eventually!?

#166 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

I suspect that the "Hodgson version" of the team which you remember so fondly was more a factor of Higgins and Hansen playing well than anything to do with Hodgson. Specifically Higgins has made the the 2nd or 3rd line better (which-ever he was on at the time) prior to the Hodgson trade, and he continued to do so after Hodgson was moved.

And I believe that the goal of the Hodgson trade was to trade Hodgson. The team no longer wanted him in the dressing room. If you don't believe it, then supply a satisfactory answer to the question of why did Gillis trade Hodgson when he did? If you believe he could have been traded in the off-season for a larger return, or that he is a better player than Kassian, or that he provided secondary scoring, or even that AV just hates young players amongst all of the various reasons assumed here, none of them really answer the question except that Gillis wanted him off the team right now.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#167 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,260 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

Agreed.

Especially since it could be said with some assurance that Kesler probably wasnt going to have the same kind of year, and the Canucks on defence and as a team werent going to be as productive offensively.

Hodgson provided a source of offence that I felt was extremely valuable, and now its like... we have a checking team that has very limited offensive creativity and relies almost completely on goaltending.

The powerplay has been solved, or abandoned, or something. Its been like this for months, surely a problem like that registers with the coaching staff eventually!?

The Canucks defensive scoring improved this season from last, didn't they? What is perhaps missing was Ehfhoff's concentration of points in just one guy due to his getting to play more often in those type of situations.

The team isn't missing Ehrhoff specifically, but I would agree that they are missing a proper power play quarterback.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#168 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,673 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

To me the Canucks haven't been the same team before and after the deal was done. Even with the games we won I don't feel our play was as strong with Hodgson as an extra option. If we take an early round one exit this trade for me is going to be a big reason why. Especially since it was sold to us as making us better this year.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#169 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

Once again:

People keep saying Hodgson would make our PP better when clearly while he was here it had already hit the skids.

Unless he was going to replace Sedin if that's what you are suggesting?

And again the team had already hit the skids when he was here. It didn't just happen after he left.

So sounds like your opinion is just that.

That not even getting into Hodgson defensive troubles while playing in Buffalo.

Not sure why you knock the rookie,Lonny.

He played second unit PP minutes and was but one of ten Canuck PP participants.He could not be responsible for saving or destroying the Canucks deplorable PP units.

Cody was fifth in rookie scoring and had more points in his first full season than any Canuck rookie in the franchise's history,save Smyl,Linden and Bure.

The kid was showing major promise in his first full season and scored some beautiful goals for the team at opportune moments.

It can be argued he was doing more than enough for the team as a rookie playing 12 minutes a game.

As you say,the team sucked when Cody's game lacked.That may or may not be a coincidence.

Edited by nuck nit, 15 April 2012 - 08:44 PM.

#170 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:44 PM

I hope Kassian can develop into a real power forward for the future, and Gragnani can turn into an Erhoff given the chance, but for now, on THIS run, Hodgson certainly would have been more beneficial.

The trade was confusing since the whole plan was to have 3 lines that can score, which we had with Hodgson. Trading him simply made us back into a 2 line deep team with 2 checking lines. And now we can't score...

Trading Hodgson and losing Daniel to injury accounted for 25% of the goals the team had scored. That was 2 of our top 4 goal,scorers. It's no surprise we can't seem to score now... with those two gone/out, our offense is barely middle of the pack.

It's not gonna matter now that the league has reverted to the 70's. Kassian needs to destroy someone.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#171 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#172 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

Siggin' this.

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#173 MC Fatigue

MC Fatigue

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

Thanks to the Boston formula and the Weber 2500,00 wristslap the NHL has gone total caveman.

If anyone still thinks Cody Hodgson could survive the playoff savagery i would welcome them to watch the games from yesterday.
Ive never seen the first round so vicious, ever.

no doubt. it's almost shocking really
" I don't understand, can somebody tell me what's going on? Why is there a drunk Chinese man doing push-ups on my front lawn?......and why's he wearing lipstick??"

#174 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,214 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

#175 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:51 PM

Siggin' this too. Class of Vancouver.

#176 Bananas

Bananas

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:52 PM

Well...Bernier with us was better than Pyatt was. Pyatt better on Phoenix. ...he still sucks.

Man, Kassian still has lots to live up to. Yet another first round power forward bust.

And we crazy CDCers thought Cody Hodgson was a bust. Truth is, we never knew what a real bust was until now. Thanks for teaching us a valuable lesson, Gillis! Now we know who we should and shouldn't call a bust.

On behalf of certain members of the CDC, I would like to apologive to Cody "the not-so-bust" Hodgson. (well, I never really felt he was a bust... but still)
Hey CDC! Remember this!?

http://forum.canucks...in-this-change/

#177 Tokasmoka

Tokasmoka

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:16 PM

What a awful trade.

#178 WZRD

WZRD

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,705 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:19 PM

Been saying it for a while now. It was a f*cking terrible trade.

Oh, and I'm not happy about being right.

#179 PeZzy

PeZzy

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

It turns out this was the biggest bonehead trade of Gillis's short GM career.

With his focus on the Boston Bruins, he entirely forgot about getting his team past the Western Conference.

Ownership really needs to review what he has done so far. It was Burke and Nonis who built this team and while he managed to be around for the success, he has slow dismantled this team by making bad trades.

The team has a serious offense problem. It was clearly apparent in the Cup Final and it was clearly visible during the second half of the season. He then trades a third line center that was producing offense with very little icetime. Gillis doesn't know what he's doing.

It's time to clear house.

#180 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,214 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

Siggin' this too. Class of Vancouver.

:)

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.