The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I Thought The Hodgson Trade Was Suppose To Make Us Better For The Playoffs

ccc44

Taking place on the NHL’s trade deadline day, the move caught many hockey fans and players by surprise, including Hodgson himself.

“I think everyone was surprised, Vancouver was very good to Cody. Fans were really supportive and I know he loved the city, everywhere he went he was well treated,” said Chris Hodgson, Cody’s father.

The news was not told to Chris and Marie Hodgson by Cody himself, instead making its way to the family in an unusual way.

“Charlotte [his sister] has Cody’s old cellphone number … We found out because James Duffy from TSN phoned Charlotte’s number to ask him if he’d been traded. He told her he thought Cody had been traded to Buffalo, so Charlotte gave James Cody’s new number,” laughed Chris.

Charlotte quickly began texting family and friends and it wasn’t long before the trade news surfaced on TSN.

“So we knew before Cody did,” said Chris.

The delay in getting the news was not the fault of the Canucks, but rather the outcome of some observant sports reporters who noticed players missing from the Buffalo Sabres bus before it departed to Anaheim.

“The [Canucks] general manager apologized to Cody for not telling him the news himself,” said Chris.

Flying back to Vancouver for the game allowed Cody the chance to pack up his apartment and ship his belongings to Buffalo, said Chris.

According to a report on the Vancouver Canucks website, the decision to trade Hodgson was made by general manager Mike Gillis, who realized he would have to give up a solid player in exchange for preparing the team for a possible lengthy playoff run.

“Cody is a really good young player, he’s going to continue to develop and be an excellent NHL player, but for our needs immediately and moving forward, we felt we needed better balance on our team and we needed size and we needed toughness,” Gillis told Derek Jory, as reported by the Vancouver Canucks.

http://www.haliburto....aspx?e=3492807

+1

And its not so simplistic as the exaggerated counter opinion that Cody would not have single handedly won the first two games. Of course he couldn't have.

But he would have created a domino effect. Not only might he have made or set up another goal we needed in game one, a more offensively potential third line would have kept Sutter's team more neutered.

We traded our 4th leading scorer, having a breakout year and comfortable with his teammates, for a big shy teddy bear of a rookie who will take years of development to become anything near what they want of him or what they said they were getting out of the deal. I'd not be surprised if he spends next year in the minors.

It may EVENTUALLY work out, although I predict huge things for Hodgson as well, but if you are talking about the NOW, so far its a miserable failure. And with a short window, Gillis may have just p***ed away this years chance.

For god sake how can you be calling him a bust? Hes younger than Hodgson... Remember Hodgson last year? Yea exactly... Kid will be fine and if you think for a second Hodgson didn't ask for a trade I'd recommend you go listen to any of the post-trade interviews with Hodgson when he's directly asked or Gillis for that matter.

When we traded Hodgson for Kassian:

"I can't wait to see what Kassian does in the Playoffs"

"Kassian is built for the playoffs"

"Kassian is going to be a force in the playoffs, similarly to Torres"

"Kassian is going to cause havoc in the playoffs"

Yeah.. Where are those people now?

"Ohh Kassian is still young and its only his first year! give him some slack! oh jeezzz peas and carrots" :rolleyes:

All the fans of the Kassian-Hodgson trade have only one of two arguments left. Either:

1) "ohhh... in my opinion...errrmm.. I don't think Hodgson would have made a difference.... "

2) "ohhh... Kassian is still young, needs more time to develop, will be a beast in [fill in the blank] years", etc, etc.

I'm not blaming Kassian though. I am blaming Gillis for not believing the age-old argument that the best defense starts with a good offense. Our defense was supposed to be so good with the trade, yet we got out scored by a team that has WAY BELOW AVERAGE goals-for (2nd worst in the league). Can someone please explain? Is Stamkos, Crosby, and Malkin secretly pretending to be Kings players?

When we traded Hodgson for Kassian:

"I can't wait to see what Kassian does in the Playoffs"

"Kassian is built for the playoffs"

"Kassian is going to be a force in the playoffs, similarly to Torres"

"Kassian is going to cause havoc in the playoffs"

Yeah.. Where are those people now?

"Ohh Kassian is still young and its only his first year! give him some slack! oh jeezzz peas and carrots" :rolleyes:

Impulsivity, stubbornness, arrogance, ego. All describes MG. A trade " for future." this team needed a shot in arm going into playoffs, not bench warmers. Horrible knee jerk trade. Scoring has been issue since last year. Booth has hands just like Raymond. Not an excuse for an upgrade. How is pansy Raymond still here???? Why was Torres sent packing for Sturm? Horrible miscalculations that may cost lots of jobs in a few months. Good riddance.

The way things have worked out with injuries it is obvious the team could use Hodgson now. It's kind of pointless to argue the opposite.

Kassian's skill set is easily replaceable right now but a solid offensive centre would look awfully good right now in that line up.

Pahlsson is decent at what he does but it's really changed the identity of the team and I don't think it's for the better. Now they consistently play the other teams game. Gone are the days of last season when the Canucks dictated play. I think they are a team lacking identity this year and the Hodgson traded emphasizes that.

I agree hodgson may have had an impact but not to the degree that some on CDC may believe. Of course that is my personal opinion and if we could tear the fabric of space/time or enter a different realm of reality we might have been able to see and all have a laugh or a cry and point fingers and demad people be fired, but we can't. So why? Really....WHY pine for Cody when it's clear that our entire squad is underperforming.

clearly that is why the op is beating it.....

Hodgson is a difference maker. He was against Boston. He was against Detroit. He would have been against the Kings where our top 2 lines are struggling. We lose a top-6 forward in Daniel and have no one to replace him with now.

Meanwhile Kassian is getting 10 minutes a game, not really hitting or injuring anyone and isn't getting a scent of special teams time.

Our PP is now the worst in the league since the Boston game.

Hodgson would have had a huge impact in all these areas. Plus, I prefer Sulzer over Gragnani in the playoffs due to his experience, size and defensive play

Archived