Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

I Thought The Hodgson Trade Was Suppose To Make Us Better For The Playoffs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
279 replies to this topic

#181 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

Yeah Grags not playing,(Might as well play him now), Kassian useless.

For all those Gillis apologists saying Cody wouldn't have made a difference, I say how the hell do you know? The Canucks lost 1-0. He might have scored a big goal tonight. He scored a few real big goals throughout the season and he would have had a lot better chance of scoring than Kassian tonight.

#182 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:27 PM

Gillis getting the executive of the year last season was the biggest joke I have ever seen.

#183 nucks115

nucks115

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:28 PM

doesnt really help if AV aint playing Kassian at all...yah he screws up and benches him
edler screws up and still playing.

just saying..

#184 rluongo01

rluongo01

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,537 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:42 PM

Didn't agree with the trade on Feb. 27, don't agree with it now. What a f***ing terrible trade. This team just isn't good enough.

#185 Cindilette

Cindilette

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:43 PM

Well this trade is now horrible.

#186 coolcat13

coolcat13

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

Gillis was definitely smoking some serious crap that day. Otherwise, he's just a braindead retard.

#187 puckluv

puckluv

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

yep they traded away hope... :(

at least with Cody we had hope for the future, even if we didn't get past the first round.

Always turn a negative situation into a positive situation. Michael Jordon

#188 Durl Dixsun

Durl Dixsun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

kassian plays less than 5 mins per game in line 4 whats he suppose to do ?

stay of his nuts, blame raymond.. hes played everywhere and sucks all around

Posted Image

#189 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:46 PM

He also went 16 games with a single assist from the middle of February to the middle of March... and that while playing significant minutes for many of those games and getting a ton of power play time. You can't just take a small window of time and use it to make your argument and entirely ignore the rest of reality.

But thats exactly what you just did...

I was pointing out how dumb it was for you to do it by doing the same thing to tell a completely opposite point of view... oh never mind...... :picard:

Edited by Provost, 15 April 2012 - 10:47 PM.

Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#190 DreamHerO

DreamHerO

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:46 PM

For all those Gillis apologists saying Cody wouldn't have made a difference, I say how the hell do you know? The Canucks lost 1-0. He might have scored a big goal tonight. He scored a few real big goals throughout the season and he would have had a lot better chance of scoring than Kassian tonight.

I know one thing for sure, he'd play more then 3:55 and actually have a shot on goal

kassian plays less than 5 mins per game in line 4 whats he suppose to do ?

stay of his nuts, blame raymond.. hes played everywhere and sucks all around

And why did he play less then 5 mins? Probably because he sucked. Remember the "Better play- more icetime" crap

Edited by DreamHerO, 15 April 2012 - 10:47 PM.

Posted Image

#191 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:47 PM

As a Canucks fan and seeing Kassians play so far I'm OFFICIALLY calling "the trade" a huge failure. I watched the Canucks coasting along confidently with clutch secondary scoring from Hodgson. Yes H-O-D-G-S-O-N, as in CODY. Ever since "the trade" the Canucks have sputtered. Lack of scoring(duh). And the whole reason for "the trade" has been now proven completely wrong. Kassian not ready for playoffs. Even our wins since the deadline have not looked convincing to me.

So here it is. I'm saying that Hodgson wouldn't have necessarily won the game. But I sure as hell would take him back over Kassian from what I have seen so far. And it was all about winning now wasn't it?

The trade single handedly put the Canucks one step back. Can't give away scoring to get tougher and yes, I'm still extremely po'd about 'the trade'.

Being down 3-0 in the first round now after going to the finals is why.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#192 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,215 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

The Hodgson deal was a crock. Anyone that thinks this was a good trade and that we 'needed' to trade Cody has no clue what they're talking about. You don't trade a potential Calder candidate (at the time). You don't trade an effective third line center and part of the second unit PP on a Cup contender for a fourth line plug.

Gillis absolutely bombed on that deal. Unbelievable.
Posted Image

#193 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:53 PM

You are all wrong... it was trading away Grabner that lost us these 3 games. I know this because I can time travel and know he would have been a monster if he was playing for us in this series.

Because of my ability to time travel I can also tell you that Hodgson would have been injured with 5 games left in the season and wouldn't be playing in the series even if we didn't trade him away.

See how fun it is to just make up "what if" scenarios based on any crazy unverifiable thought that comes into your head?

No one can say that Hodgson or any player would have made any difference at all... he could have folded like a cheap tent the first shift he was on the ice against Kopitar or Richards.

#194 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,215 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:55 PM

You are all wrong... it was trading away Grabner that lost us these 3 games. I know this because I can time travel and know he would have been a monster if he was playing for us in this series.

Because of my ability to time travel I can also tell you that Hodgson would have been injured with 5 games left in the season and wouldn't be playing in the series even if we didn't trade him away.

See how fun it is to just make up "what if" scenarios based on any crazy unverifiable thought that comes into your head?

No one can say that Hodgson or any player would have made any difference at all... he could have folded like a cheap tent the first shift he was on the ice against Kopitar or Richards.

No worse than Kassian at least. At least Cody would have posed some kind of offensive threat. Kassian posed as no threat in any way. Again, there was no need to trade Cody.
Posted Image

#195 Captain-Canuck2562

Captain-Canuck2562

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:56 PM

This organization sh_t the bed at the trade deadline. Other then a couple additions to what the team already had was perfect. A gritty 3rd liner and a 5th - 6th dman. What would they had to give up....Mason Raymond, maybe prospects and draft picks. Know if that draft pick had to be a higher one, so be it. This team has a very small window, this is when you take that gamble. Now we have a future journey man dman, a young 4th line player that doesn't even get a sniff in the playoffs. All for what????.. Cody a future captain one day. Didn't like the trade then, hate the trade now !!!

#196 aragon416

aragon416

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:57 PM

and the worst thing is, gillis didn't even let the whole league know that he was open to trading hodgson. hodgson could have probably netted a better return than kassian.

#197 Durl Dixsun

Durl Dixsun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:59 PM

i still dont get why CDC'ers are targetting a 4th line guy

what has raymond done? nothing
sedin? nothing

the list goes on

shows how ignorant people are.. we lose one game and everyones like "wheres cody?" well hes in buffalo deal with it hes gone and not coming back

Posted Image

#198 Haidacanuck

Haidacanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:59 PM

How does Kassian look now? He's a meat Popsicle did he fight when brown took a run at Henrik? Where is the toughness now Gillis? Presidents men getting knocked off in the first round, doesn't sound that tough to me.

#199 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,850 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:00 PM

At least we wouldn't be playing Ebbett on the second powerplay unit... :(

Press the Panic Button! Posted Image

Posted Image
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl
Sig by .CM.

#200 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,876 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

How does Kassian look now? He's a meat Popsicle did he fight when brown took a run at Henrik? Where is the toughness now Gillis? Presidents men getting knocked off in the first round, doesn't sound that tough to me.

It was a close game and him fighting could have cost us the game... I am quite certain he was kept off the ice for that very reason, so he couldn't run around and try to get retribution.

#201 Jma7

Jma7

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

Should trade w/ pittsburgh. Give them some defense for some of their offense. No more shut outs
Posted Image

#202 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,215 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:02 PM

i still dont get why CDC'ers are targetting a 4th line guy

what has raymond done? nothing
sedin? nothing

the list goes on

shows how ignorant people are.. we lose one game and everyones like "wheres cody?" well hes in buffalo deal with it hes gone and not coming back

It's not so much Kassian, it's not his fault, he's just doing the role he was thrown into and trying his best.

It's the step back we've taken and the anger of the trade speaking. There was no need for this trade and it did make us worse off.
Posted Image

#203 Haidacanuck

Haidacanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:11 PM

You know what I've been watching this game since the 70's and I know a good trade vs a bad one. I stated the trade was bad from the start and us getting knocked out in the first round proves it. It totally f$&@ed up the chemistry on the team and it hasn't been the same since.

#204 filthycanuck

filthycanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:46 AM

doesnt really help if AV aint playing Kassian at all...yah he screws up and benches him
edler screws up and still playing.

just saying..

Exactly, Mike Gillis isn't the guy throwing out the lines and distributing the ice time, thats AV's job and frankly hes done an awful job. We can have Claude Giroux on our team and he still wouldn't crack our top 6 because AV's obsession with past accomplishments and pure favoritism. With Vigneult behind the bench, this team will NEVER be able to find young talent to ascend the depth charts because he has to put his boys in the most favourable positions to succeed, the Alex Burrows, the Mason Raymonds of the world. I've never heard a coach ever put down a young player whos just blooming and said hes "NEVER going to take ice time from Hank and Kesler", who says that? If your a young player and your pigeon holed at the same position with no oppurtunity to rise, whats the point of being on the team? I don't blame Cody for wanting to get traded, its like being stuck at a dead end job with no oppurtunity for advancement.

Look whats happening to the brightest young stars in the game, Giroux is now the focal point of the Flyers offence, taking what was thought to be impossible possible position from Mike Richards, or Logan Couture being the man now in San Jose and taking over a former Art Ross trophy winner Joe Thornton. You can never hold down talent, thats the way its always has been through the test of time in this game. You produce, you play more, but yet it seems this doesn't apply in this team because the coach is way too fond of his boys carrying the load for him or making excuses to why they are not getting ice time. I can understand if Hodgson was not producing, but when he becomes rookie in the month in January, scores clutch goals, contributes more than a LOT of the guys in the roster in the offensive zone, and puts up numbers like he did, Hodgson held his end of the bargain and for not be rewarded, but instead be demoted, and be criticized, thats completely insane.

Fact is that trade screwed everything up for this team, its called "OVERTHINKING", trying to fix something thats not broken, and AV is the guy to blame because of his mistreatment of our most prized prospect. He has way too much input on which players thats coming in this organization good or bad.

#205 js604

js604

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:58 AM

Is there a 90 day refund period for NHL trades? Can we trade Kassian for Hodgson back? We'll throw in Gragnani for free, too.

#206 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:02 AM

Exactly, Mike Gillis isn't the guy throwing out the lines and distributing the ice time, thats AV's job and frankly hes done an awful job. We can have Claude Giroux on our team and he still wouldn't crack our top 6 because AV's obsession with past accomplishments and pure favoritism. With Vigneult behind the bench, this team will NEVER be able to find young talent to ascend the depth charts because he has to put his boys in the most favourable positions to succeed, the Alex Burrows, the Mason Raymonds of the world. I've never heard a coach ever put down a young player whos just blooming and said hes "NEVER going to take ice time from Hank and Kesler", who says that? If your a young player and your pigeon holed at the same position with no oppurtunity to rise, whats the point of being on the team? I don't blame Cody for wanting to get traded, its like being stuck at a dead end job with no oppurtunity for advancement.

Look whats happening to the brightest young stars in the game, Giroux is now the focal point of the Flyers offence, taking what was thought to be impossible possible position from Mike Richards, or Logan Couture being the man now in San Jose and taking over a former Art Ross trophy winner Joe Thornton. You can never hold down talent, thats the way its always has been through the test of time in this game. You produce, you play more, but yet it seems this doesn't apply in this team because the coach is way too fond of his boys carrying the load for him or making excuses to why they are not getting ice time. I can understand if Hodgson was not producing, but when he becomes rookie in the month in January, scores clutch goals, contributes more than a LOT of the guys in the roster in the offensive zone, and puts up numbers like he did, Hodgson held his end of the bargain and for not be rewarded, but instead be demoted, and be criticized, thats completely insane.

Fact is that trade screwed everything up for this team, its called "OVERTHINKING", trying to fix something thats not broken, and AV is the guy to blame because of his mistreatment of our most prized prospect. He has way too much input on which players thats coming in this organization good or bad.

AV plays a role. I hear what you are saying but still Gillis is the one that made the trade so ultimately it's his fault. Obviously, Gillis thinks along the same line as Vigneault because you know he can fire Vigneault if the think he is screwing up his young players.

You know beyond the Sedins the Canucks really don't have that good of a roster. You could argue AV has gotten the most out of the talent he has been given. The way he handled Hodgson was wrong though and I do think he will be fired. But who will Gillis hire? I have little faith he will find a better coach just like I have little faith he will handle the pending Luongo/Schneider decision in the proper manner. I think the proper manner would be trade Luongo for a guy like LeCavailer. Brings in more scoring talent while swapping bad contracts. Trading Schneider right now won't get the return many people expect because he is due a big raise due to his RFA status. You really won't get much more for Schneider than you would for Luongo.

#207 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:03 AM

Is there a 90 day refund period for NHL trades? Can we trade Kassian for Hodgson back? We'll throw in Gragnani for free, too.

Yeah and take Sulzer back too. Heck I'd even throw in Pahlsson.

Edited by gradin123, 16 April 2012 - 01:03 AM.

#208 Bure1994Mclean

Bure1994Mclean

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:06 AM

Why is Kesler being matched against Brown? I thought the reason Pahlsson was brought in was to be that shut-down defensive specialist that went against the other teams top lines so Kesler could focus on scoring more, so much for that.
OMG SUNDIN.

The word fear is not in our dictionary, it is in the eyes of the enemy.

The objective of war is not to die for your country, it is to make the enemy die for theirs.

One generation plants the trees, the other gets the shade.

#209 gradin123

gradin123

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:24 AM

Why is Kesler being matched against Brown? I thought the reason Pahlsson was brought in was to be that shut-down defensive specialist that went against the other teams top lines so Kesler could focus on scoring more, so much for that.

Well Pahlsson was awful last night, probably the worst Canuck overall. He took two penalities and was badly beaten on the faceoff prior to the Kings goal. On the one penalty he took it was a desperation move made after he screwed up defensively.

Edited by gradin123, 16 April 2012 - 01:25 AM.

#210 kanuckz

kanuckz

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:25 AM

It's obvious he wanted to be traded, so why are people still upset? Why keep a guy on the team that doesn't want to be there? It's done and over with, stop thinking about the "what ifs"...

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.