Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 4 votes

Mg, You Failed

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
81 replies to this topic

#61 Canuck or Die

Canuck or Die

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:23 AM

Gillis is not an idiot. It seems pretty clear that his hands were tied in the Hodgson trade. I bet he traded him so there wouldn't be a future problem.

He's gone, get over it. I miss him too, but I'm not dwelling on the past.
EMBRACE THE HATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We WILL be drinking from Lord Stanley's Cup soon, Canucks Nation!

Posted Image

#62 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,737 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:24 AM

lol .. great to be on CDC when the likes of "understand" is creating threads. I feel like I'm covered in $hit at the bottom of a sewer being logged on right now lol

Let's replace that with a dash of common sense.

#63 themonicator

themonicator

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:43 AM

Kesler has been terrible all year long.

I had expected him to step up come playoffs.

Now makes losing Hodgson even worse.

You nailed it. The addition of Pahlsson was meant to take away defensive minutes from Kesler so he can focus on scoring. So far, he hasn't been performing up to par.

But let's keep it in perspective. The team has been coasting most of the season. Our goalies kept the team in the game in most nights. The scoring and PP woes have been a problem even before the trade deadline! IMO, personnel behind the bench has to take the blame.

Edited by themonicator, 14 April 2012 - 02:44 AM.

Posted Image

Our Prospects

#64 Vlas=d

Vlas=d

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:53 AM

I don't care what anyone says MG made a very bad move trading Cody away. We're supposed to be modelled after Detroit but Detroits rule is you never trades away your young talent.

really because last time i checked they traded matthias for a worthless bertuzzi

#65 smackyo23

smackyo23

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:55 AM

I think your overall post rating of -458 speaks for how valid your opinion is

This.
Posted Image

#66 smackyo23

smackyo23

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:09 AM

Not sure what game the Kassian haters watched tonight but I was at the game and the guy was a hit machine and he's plenty strong along the boards when guarding the puck. He totally held the defender off with one arm while stick handling with the other, had time to look around to see if a play could be made and skated out and got a decent shot on goal that made Quick look behind him. He reminds me a bit of Mats Sundin.

I will say that Cody is the kind of guy that you often see stepping up in the playoffs and being that secondary scoring that all playoff teams talk about like Marchand was for Boston last year. As much as I hate that freaking rat Marchand the guy killed us last year in the playoffs, he scored so many timely goals for Boston and that's kind of what I saw Cody being able to do for us this year. But................... We have to play with the personelle we have and make no mistake we have some great personelle, just have to put it together.

CDC really needs to bring back the minus for topics like this.

Edited by smackyo23, 14 April 2012 - 03:11 AM.

Posted Image

#67 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:22 AM

I don't care what anyone says MG made a very bad move trading Cody away. We're supposed to be modelled after Detroit but Detroits rule is you never trades away your young talent.

Are you absolutely sure Hodgson could handle the physicality of the playoffs. He is not fast and not big.............mmmmm I'm not convinced.
Kevin.jpg

#68 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:31 AM

I just wished that MG would have signed a yappy 4th liner to complement Lappy on the 4th in the off-season.

Yeh 'cause that really frightens SC opponents to death and puts points on the board.............get real.........the problems are in defence and in the top 2 lines not the lack of a "yappy" 4th liner.
Kevin.jpg

#69 Lewah

Lewah

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:18 AM

I think your overall post rating of -458 speaks for how valid your opinion is

Or how honest he is. No one likes to hear the truth around here. It's a like a bunch of right-wing Americans.
muskit blau

#70 The-Impersonator

The-Impersonator

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,740 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:29 AM

Kassian trade really pisses me off. Just stand pat, if you're gonna do something that stupid. He made the team even worse both short-term and long-term.

Kassian is the type of player we were missing from the line-up and MG addressed that issue. Yes, he is young but instead of burying him on the 4th line AV should have being playing on the 2nd or 3rd lines to see what he could do and develop his confidence. If we are really to develop our young talent AV needs to go. Kass made a nice play and stood in front of the net on the 2nd goal. There's a concept. When we were on the PP at the end of the game why not throw from in front of the net again....instead AV puts out Mason "trip over the blue line" Raymond to fall over in the corner. I can tell you that if this team is to succeed in the future AV needs to be fired and someone who is willing to give players a chance and actually "coach" to counter-act what the other team does is a must. AV is constantly out-coached.

#71 danny411

danny411

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:23 AM

canucks are dead tired its so obvious

they cant keep up with other teams

#72 ronsmith

ronsmith

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:32 AM

All i gotta say.

Go Caucks Go.

This series still has a lot of hockey to be played. Last time i checked a team needs to win 4 to win the series.

This series has only just begun.

Go Canucks Go.

#73 toyotafan

toyotafan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:38 AM

I seen one good shift from Kassian last night, but I don't think he or Gragnani have enough impact on this team that are going to get us back to the cup this year, they both need a season with the wolves. Reinprecht would be a better use of that roster spot right now. Booth was a hitting machine last night..

#74 danny411

danny411

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

like say if a miracle happens

the canucks win the next 4 games

then what are you going to say, gillis is the greatest hahha

#75 skyfall

skyfall

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

canucks are dead tired its so obvious

they cant keep up with other teams

They're dead tired because they focus on grinding rather than keeping players who can score clutch goals. The biggest difference in most of the big regular season games this season was Hodgson's clutch goals. As much as the team loves to promote the fact that they play 60 minutes, whistle-to-whistle, and play the right way, blah blah blah, the game is made a hell of a lot easier when somebody can just pop goals and/or your goalie puts up a wall. If you have both you most likely have the Stanley Cup.

I don't understand what it is but as MG tried to bring pure offensive players into the big club like Sundin, Demitra, Grabner, Shirokov and Hodgson they start at the top lines then get relegated further by AV then get shipped out. These players I consider pure offensive players with a fairly complete package offensively. It's hard to find and these talents should be retained as much as possible.

I think AV does play a factor in this. His natural mindset is to play those tough-it-out, grind-em-out games. He has tried to adapt to playing a more offensive style but if there's defense lacking he'd freak out and relegate a Hodgson quicker than he'd string together offensive players when there are scoring droughts to get offense going. The team doesn't have a pure offensive mindset. It's attack only when it's safe rather than trying to create plays. I think that's a big strategic mistake esp with a team that has fairy good defense and goaltending which is the proper environment to take chances.

#76 RU SERIOUS

RU SERIOUS

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:10 AM

I agree ! Our lack of offense needs to be continuously upgraded and trading the top scorer from the OHL (Cody) seemed to be a lost asset especially when the rest of our offense has "dried-up". I also agree that we needed or need to upgrade the D with the addition of two more top 4 D - but they don't grow on trees and cost. At the very least Raymond and Mahotra should have been traded as they are liabilities out there. Mahotra might be a 60% face of guy - but I'd trade him in a heartbeat fro a 30% faceoff guy -that can actually offer a bit of offensive prowess. Raymond on the other hand is all flash- no finish and just nneeds to be unloaded!

#77 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:11 AM

The biggest difference in most of the big regular season games this season was Hodgson's clutch goals.

You do know that there are actual facts out there that people can look up that over-ride your fantasies?

Hodgson's stats would put him as the 8th in points on our team *behind two defemcemen even)... just ahead of Hansen who didn't get a sniff of power play time in order to pad his stats.

There is a possibility that he could have helped us so far... but I would say that it is a stretch to say that he would have been better than Pahlsson who replaced him. The Pahlsson/Hansen/Higgins line was by far our best in the first game and down the stretch during the regular season.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#78 skyfall

skyfall

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:18 AM

You do know that there are actual facts out there that people can look up that over-ride your fantasies?

Hodgson's stats would put him as the 8th in points on our team *behind two defemcemen even)... just ahead of Hansen who didn't get a sniff of power play time in order to pad his stats.

There is a possibility that he could have helped us so far... but I would say that it is a stretch to say that he would have been better than Pahlsson who replaced him. The Pahlsson/Hansen/Higgins line was by far our best in the first game and down the stretch during the regular season.

I said big regular season games... not the season average. The closest thing to compare to the playoffs is the big games where the intensity is ramped up like games against the Bruins and Wings. Part of the problem is relative to this team that Pahlsson/Hansen/Higgins is our biggest line. Our biggest line should be a pure offensive line and then the icing on the cake is the grind line.

One or two clutch goals can make up for 40 minutes of work or subpar play. 60 minutes of grinding just makes the team even with most other teams in the league. We need a competitive advantage, not to stay on level ground with a chance to win.

#79 TheWheeler

TheWheeler

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:49 AM

They're dead tired because they focus on grinding rather than keeping players who can score clutch goals. The biggest difference in most of the big regular season games this season was Hodgson's clutch goals. As much as the team loves to promote the fact that they play 60 minutes, whistle-to-whistle, and play the right way, blah blah blah, the game is made a hell of a lot easier when somebody can just pop goals and/or your goalie puts up a wall. If you have both you most likely have the Stanley Cup.

I don't understand what it is but as MG tried to bring pure offensive players into the big club like Sundin, Demitra, Grabner, Shirokov and Hodgson they start at the top lines then get relegated further by AV then get shipped out. These players I consider pure offensive players with a fairly complete package offensively. It's hard to find and these talents should be retained as much as possible.

I think AV does play a factor in this. His natural mindset is to play those tough-it-out, grind-em-out games. He has tried to adapt to playing a more offensive style but if there's defense lacking he'd freak out and relegate a Hodgson quicker than he'd string together offensive players when there are scoring droughts to get offense going. The team doesn't have a pure offensive mindset. It's attack only when it's safe rather than trying to create plays. I think that's a big strategic mistake esp with a team that has fairy good defense and goaltending which is the proper environment to take chances.

This is the asbolute problem with the team.

You ship out every skilled player (aside from the Sedin's) and you are left with a team of average skilled grinders. There is no person on this team (Kesler included) aside from Daniel that I feel has the skill to score on a consistent basis. Kesler does not use his line mates effectively, Booth has absolutely no vision, and aside from those two we are left with a team of grinders. This is hardly Stanley Cup champ worthy. If anything, without Daniel this team now looks a whole lot like Calgary.

What SHOULD have happened instead of the whole Hodgson trade debacle, is stick Kesler as the third line C and move Hodgson to the 2nd C. There, problem solved. We all know Kesler has not done anything, aside from "working hard", to deserve 2nd C responsibilities this year.

But when all is said and done we can look back on these playoffs and say "We were missing Daniel Sedin, so it's ok that we lost, we'll look forward to next year".... I'm sorry, but losing Daniel is THE ABSOLUTE REASON WE NEED ANOTHER FCKING SKILLED FORWARD. And no, I don't mean the one man show of less skilled selfishness that is Kesler (Although I LOVE how hard he works...).

If Vancouver gets bounced first round, there needs to be a completely different approach to how this team is built. Yes, you need the hard working grinders, but you also need the skill.

Instead of looking at the "Detroit" model, maybe Gillis should be looking at the "Philadelphia" or "Chicago" or "Boston" model to win the Stanley Cup. Philly has 2 rookie centers for crying out loud who are playing phenomenal. Detroit isnt the only team with the capabilities of consistently making it to the playoffs...

#80 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,891 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:51 AM

I said big regular season games... not the season average.
One or two clutch goals can make up for 40 minutes of work or subpar play.

Again, the facts are: Hodgon had 2 Game Winning Goals the entire season (how most people would judge "clutch"... thats why they have the stat).

As a comparable, in only 18 games during the season... Ebbett had the same number of game winning goals.

As for the statement that one or two "clutch" goals can make up for 40 minutes of subpar play... that is hogwash, especially in the playoffs. Taking Hodgson's goal per game totals it gives you one goal (clutch or otherwise) every 4-5 games. That in no way makes up for 40 minutes of crappy play in each of those games.

Even if I take your assertion (not based in actual fact) that Hodgson performs better in big games... and we double his goal total, he is still only likely giving you 2 goals in a 7 game series. Considering that the playoffs is a grind and a player like Pahlsson who is physically punishing the opponents and keeping them off the board... that is of much great value.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#81 Mike Vanderhoek

Mike Vanderhoek

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,171 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

1. Not adding a top 4 defenseman
2. Trading away the scoring depth for a young Steve Bernier
3. Build a team without character (no, I am not talking about the diving, yapping character)
4. Fail to add another top 6 forward
5. Keep thinking that the roster is good enough to make it to the Final again, and fail to realize teams in the conference are all getting stronger compare to last season.

MG, YOU FAILED.

Hilarious !

The Playoffs have just begun and im pretty sure MG knows what he is doing.
Posted Image

#82 RU SERIOUS

RU SERIOUS

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:12 AM

This is the asbolute problem with the team.

You ship out every skilled player (aside from the Sedin's) and you are left with a team of average skilled grinders. There is no person on this team (Kesler included) aside from Daniel that I feel has the skill to score on a consistent basis. Kesler does not use his line mates effectively, Booth has absolutely no vision, and aside from those two we are left with a team of grinders. This is hardly Stanley Cup champ worthy. If anything, without Daniel this team now looks a whole lot like Calgary.

What SHOULD have happened instead of the whole Hodgson trade debacle, is stick Kesler as the third line C and move Hodgson to the 2nd C. There, problem solved. We all know Kesler has not done anything, aside from "working hard", to deserve 2nd C responsibilities this year.

But when all is said and done we can look back on these playoffs and say "We were missing Daniel Sedin, so it's ok that we lost, we'll look forward to next year".... I'm sorry, but losing Daniel is THE ABSOLUTE REASON WE NEED ANOTHER FCKING SKILLED FORWARD. And no, I don't mean the one man show of less skilled selfishness that is Kesler (Although I LOVE how hard he works...).

If Vancouver gets bounced first round, there needs to be a completely different approach to how this team is built. Yes, you need the hard working grinders, but you also need the skill.

Instead of looking at the "Detroit" model, maybe Gillis should be looking at the "Philadelphia" or "Chicago" or "Boston" model to win the Stanley Cup. Philly has 2 rookie centers for crying out loud who are playing phenomenal. Detroit isnt the only team with the capabilities of consistently making it to the playoffs...

Another great comment - that hits home. I have absolutely nothing to add to your precise comment! It's right on the money - Bingo!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.