The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Pgt] Kings 4, Canucks 2

Ryan Murray

Let's get real here. We have been waiting 25 games for the switch to click on, hasn't happened, what we see is what we have. Win the Prez trophy just made it worse. NHL fans are now laughing at us more than they ever have, all haters are now on board waiting for failure and unfortunately it is here and it is embarrasing. Time for a shakeup,

Has anyone watched the powerplay break-out and what is done when they set-up? Can anyone tell me from an x's and o's stand point exactly what the problem is? I for one don't like the breakout. When I played in college, our team had 4 or 5 different powerplay breakouts that the defenseman called from behind the net or that the coach organized before the pp started. That way the other team could not get a read on what you were doing. Plus, I want to see an umbrella or an overload style down low. Shoot the puck and crash the net. No more drop passes, no more saucer passes, shoot the puck and crash the net. When things are looking dire, you get back to basics. Make a good hard first pass, and attack the net with speed. Have all four skaters up front flying into the zone. Force them to back off. The Canucks zone entry is far too slow for my liking. The powerplay they don't shoot enough, Henrik Sedin, as much as I love him, has to shoot the puck. He just refuses to do it. And he won't shoot the puck hard. He's not a small guy, lean into that sucker and wire it. An old coach told me to shoot the puck so hard that you either score, or nearly kill the goalie doing it. Joe Sakic never shot the puck to just shoot it, he shot to score every time! Aim for a spot five feet behind it, that's how hard you gotta shoot. That's just what I think. Any of your guys thoughts on this?

Curse of President's trophy looks like it will continue. Go through the history of this game and it is very seldom that the team that wins this trophy wins the cup too. If we get close next year. Tank. Throw the game. do anything to avoid that trophy. we want the other one.

Has anyone watched the powerplay break-out and what is done when they set-up? Can anyone tell me from an x's and o's stand point exactly what the problem is? I for one don't like the breakout. When I played in college, our team had 4 or 5 different powerplay breakouts that the defenseman called from behind the net or that the coach organized before the pp started. That way the other team could not get a read on what you were doing. Plus, I want to see an umbrella or an overload style down low. Shoot the puck and crash the net. No more drop passes, no more saucer passes, shoot the puck and crash the net. When things are looking dire, you get back to basics. Make a good hard first pass, and attack the net with speed. Have all four skaters up front flying into the zone. Force them to back off. The Canucks zone entry is far too slow for my liking. The powerplay they don't shoot enough, Henrik Sedin, as much as I love him, has to shoot the puck. He just refuses to do it. And he won't shoot the puck hard. He's not a small guy, lean into that sucker and wire it. An old coach told me to shoot the puck so hard that you either score, or nearly kill the goalie doing it. Joe Sakic never shot the puck to just shoot it, he shot to score every time! Aim for a spot five feet behind it, that's how hard you gotta shoot. That's just what I think. Any of your guys thoughts on this?

I have to get up in the morning and go face a little league team that is going to be asking why did the Canucks lose? How do you explain to a bunch of little kids that you have to show up and work hard to win and that reasons none of us can explain, the Canucks have yet to do this. I have some strong opinions when i talk to other hockey fans. But when it comes to the kids i coach, this is a different story. We are talking about role models and heroes here. You can't just say. They sucked and deserved to lose. That does not work. all I can do is say. We will get them next game.

Embarrassing yes but I'm gonna Believe :) and while I'm busy Believing maybe one of our boys might care to show up for a playoff game or two.....or 4

and completely agree with the person who said that someone should tell Luongo that flopping to his belly and spreading his legs isn't the answer to everything.

I'm not blaming Luongo for the losses, however I do feel that they should start Cory, for a "fresh start", so to speak. Somehow I just feel the players just seem to play better in front of him. IMO.

And special teams, what's up with that? Not only are our penalties killing us, so are theirs,,,,

i don't get all the stupid penalties taken in the third, aka kesler, burrows, and hansen especially

it's bad enough hansen cost us the boston series last year (if anyone recalls..), and now he's at it again

the refs have actually favored the canucks in the series so far

you can't blame the refs for all the delay of game penalties last game

but honeslty i think the refs had been more than fair to the canucks

we suck on the powerplay throughout the game, and when the game is down to last 10 when we're losing by 1, undiscipline penalties follow

The Canucks got a bad draw here. They got a team with legit stars in Kopitar, Richards, Brown and Carter upfront and Doughty on defense with a goaltender that has been in the zone ALL year. This is not your typical 8 seed and since the deadline they've been a better team in a tougher division.

Not only do I think the Canucks are as good as gone, I think the Kings pull a 2010 Flyers and get to the Final. The West has gone from best to mediocre over night and literally anyone can win it with very little surprise (maybe outside Phoenix).

42 years of failure continues.

This is one of those instances in which I don't even hate the team on the other side. More often than not in playoffs you hate the team that's beating your team/knocks your team out. I don't even hate the Kings at all. This series hasn't been both teams playing at their best and one is just better. That's what can make you go insane as a fan. In this instance, the Canucks are losing the series all by themselves. I picture the Kings as a bunch of guys just shrugging their shoulders, going "Uhh, this is it? I guess we'll take it...".

Don't hate or not mad at the Kings at all at this point. It's weird.

The Canucks got a bad draw here. They got a team with legit stars in Kopitar, Richards, Brown and Carter upfront and Doughty on defense with a goaltender that has been in the zone ALL year. This is not your typical 8 seed and since the deadline they've been a better team in a tougher division.

Not only do I think the Canucks are as good as gone, I think the Kings pull a 2010 Flyers and get to the Final. The West has gone from best to mediocre over night and literally anyone can win it with very little surprise (maybe outside Phoenix).

42 years of failure continues.

Guest BuckFoston

You're right, fatigue is not an excuse. This is the first time without being furious that I've looked at this calmly and objectively. This group does not have what it takes to be a Stanley Cup winner. They have a very good team, but it takes a little something extra to get on top of the mountain. It's the little things, the fire, the passion. Not enough players show it with enough consistency. I hate the Calgary Flames, but that 04 cup run of theirs was a good example. That team just would not quit and they did whatever it took to win. Character wins the Stanley Cup more than talent. What are you willing to do to win the cup? I saw it through three rounds last year and then it stopped. This year, Ive barely seen it.

Another bad game by Edler.....put Rome or Alberts in.

A mediocre performance by Luongo. Luo you made some good saves but you won't stop many pucks lying face down on the ice immitating a gold fish out of water. Please play Schneider next game and sign him for the future.

The team looks so disorganised against the Kings.....we miss Cody Hodgson on the 2nd power play unit. Kassain has to step up and be that PFwd that he was touted to be instead of a 4th line plug.

The Canucks can come back and win this series but they are going to have to find the answers to their shortcomings soon.

Archived