The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pathetic Fans

{nhl}

Vancouver has very much become a city of entitlement. People want instant gratification and are spoiled/pampered here now....don't get me wrong, I love this city but, as someone born/raised here, I see the climate changing. Gone is the nose to the grindstone mentality where you actually worked hard and earned what you got. So those same people who get to zip around in luxury cars before they've even left high school also don't appreciate what it takes to earn something...they figure you snap your fingers and it's there. That's very much reflected in how some here view the team...just do it. But it's not that simple. These are all quality teams who make it to the playoffs and LA's hungry. They have a great goaltender and it isn't simply a done deal because some here think it should be. Although they're used to getting what they want, this requires a bit of work, possibly some patience and maybe even the end result that you DON'T get what you want. But it's how it is.

I love this team and, as some know here, am a bit of - no - a complete homer. But you take the good with the bad and don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Some suggest these players don't want it. Don't try. Are you kidding me - most athletes have chosen a profession they love. They didn't get into it for the money, it was what they grew up doing. It's their passion. This team has given us a lot to cheer for but you don't turn your back when they falter, you rally.

I understand people's frustration, the threads that are simply venting, etc. But I also question some of them - I don't know that they're made by fans of the team, itself, as much as they are of celebrating and partying. You don't see some through the regular season, because it's boring and mundane then but, come the playoffs, they put on their hats and hit the streets. It's ok - the more the merrier and we are all Canucks, but some of us are true blue to the core and can't turn our backs on the team. I'd be in that group. GO CANUCK GO!

Regards,

Cheerleader Deb

Statistically speaking, it's unlikely the Canucks will win this series. Of course we can hope, but being pessimistic when your team has dropped the first two games at home is the correct position to hold, if you're a betting man. You can point to some teams that have come back, but that would be a simple case of counting the hits and ignoring the misses. For every team that has done it, there have been thirty who have not.

Having said that, as fans we have no choice but to continue to support our team right until the end. It means we have to be out on the deck, waving our arms while the ship goes down. But pointing out that the ship just might have some holes in it, and may actually end up sinking doesn't make us bad fans—it just means we care.

I'm not ashamed to be a Canucks fan.

I'm ashamed by threads like this and so many others here on CDC this year.

I am disappointed. Will I stop cheering? Nope. Been a fan since 1975 - that's a lot of years of disappointment - so yes, as a long time fan I do want instant gratification. Anything less than a cup is trivial to me. Maybe for some of you 2 or 3 year old fans - just cheering for a team is satisfaction enough.

Again, I thirst for a cup. I won't be satisfied until this team wins one.

If you're ashamed to be associated with fans like me - then go cheer for another team.

have you seen the way this team is playing they go 8-1-1 into the playoffs and then all of a sudden crap the bed 2 games in a row

yes i believe but also I'm realistic in the fact if this team doesn't show some heart some passion they will be swept

I've been an avid follower of the Canucks since 1989 when I was a little kid. 1994 broke my heart and 2011 broke it again when I was so sure that that was our time. I guess the bottom line is that this franchise and it's true fans just really need a Cup, just one Stanley Cup I think would do the trick. It would give everyone something to hang thier hats on and then maybe we wouldn't see so much insanity and stupidity among fans on these boards and elsewhere.

Speaking for myself, I can go pretty overboard after a significant loss by the Canucks and start talking about trading this guy or fire this guy or whatever, but I think that kind of passion is just fuelled by the frustration of having so much time and emotion invested in rooting and hoping and even praying that your team can win the big prize, only to see them skate away empty handed every time.

The Canucks have come painfully close two times now with 2011 giving all of thier fans very high expectations for these playoffs. If we dont do it this year but do it sometime soon, I would bet the fans would'nt get so hysterical about a playoff loss if we could say something like " Ah well, we won the Stanley Cup last year". Go Canucks Go!

Canucks are chocking!

Go Phoenix, and Flyers!!! They know how to play Whooo!!!

Canucks hockey is boring to watch, ive been a "homer" fan for too long, Im off the bandwagon, Ill come back when they have a team. if they never get a team i could care less, its been 40 years, id be insane! to blindly rave and babble worshipping this team.

They actually planned out before game 2 "we're not going to do anything after the whistles"!! omg this is the playoffs pussys time to fight and scrap your way to victory, none of this high and mighty BS, like they think they're so good. have a good summer boys TO could use some buddies on the golf course :D

This fan base obviously doesn't deserve a Stanley Cup. If it wasn't for me being raised in BC, I would absolutely hate this team as well because of this fan base.

I hate seeing the Canucks lose like that but knowing that there are so many pathetic fans out there disappointed, gives me some comfort. Also, I know that there are obviously a group of good canucks fans, but if you compare us to the other big markets, we have one of if not the worst fan bases .

This thread doesn't need much of a description, just look at the message board...2 positive threads to 20 bashing threads.

EDIT: Let me make it more clear that I am not criticizing the disappointment, obviously we have every right to be disappointed but the way these fans reacted to losing 2 games of a 7 game series is like I said pathetic.

I've been a fan for an awfully long time too, Heretic. But, for me, I've also been through the ringer over the years and have learned to ride the wave out when things get bad. That it changes nothing to predict the worst if it's something beyond my control. So, until then, I try to look at the glass as half full because the other option is overwhelming and defeating. Maybe it comes with going through painful experiences in life...you learn to extract the positive elements in order to keep moving in the right direction. It's pointless to head down the other path because you're then succumbing to it.

We all want the cup but the "what have you done for me lately" theme gets tiring. This team is trying, I guarantee you that. They want it as badly as the fans do, so to get down on them seems a little counterproductive and pointless. It gets dizzying as the fans fly their banners one game only to pull them down and burn them the next. Ride it out.

I love that a member of the Lions sent a message to the team telling them to hang in there, using their season last year as a reminder that it ain't over till it's over (my guess is Geroy, as he's a big fan). Should bring up their spirits a bit if they are getting down on themselves.

Having been a fan for all these years should have you appreciate that we are "almost there". Just will make it that much sweeter when our team finally does hoist the cup...for me, I'm not counting out this year yet. The Grey Cup win last year really helped keep things in perspective. The '94 run as well. Anything can happen here, so I'm choosing to focus in that direction.

Vancouver has very much become a city of entitlement. People want instant gratification and are spoiled/pampered here now....don't get me wrong, I love this city but, as someone born/raised here, I see the climate changing. Gone is the nose to the grindstone mentality where you actually worked hard and earned what you got. So those same people who get to zip around in luxury cars before they've even left high school also don't appreciate what it takes to earn something...they figure you snap your fingers and it's there. That's very much reflected in how some here view the team...just do it. But it's not that simple. These are all quality teams who make it to the playoffs and LA's hungry. They have a great goaltender and it isn't simply a done deal because some here think it should be. Although they're used to getting what they want, this requires a bit of work, possibly some patience and maybe even the end result that you DON'T get what you want. But it's how it is.

I love this team and, as some know here, am a bit of - no - a complete homer. But you take the good with the bad and don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Some suggest these players don't want it. Don't try. Are you kidding me - most athletes have chosen a profession they love. They didn't get into it for the money, it was what they grew up doing. It's their passion. This team has given us a lot to cheer for but you don't turn your back when they falter, you rally.

I understand people's frustration, the threads that are simply venting, etc. But I also question some of them - I don't know that they're made by fans of the team, itself, as much as they are of celebrating and partying. You don't see some through the regular season, because it's boring and mundane then but, come the playoffs, they put on their hats and hit the streets. It's ok - the more the merrier and we are all Canucks, but some of us are true blue to the core and can't turn our backs on the team. I'd be in that group. GO CANUCK GO!

Regards,

Cheerleader Deb

This fan base obviously doesn't deserve a Stanley Cup. If it wasn't for me being raised in BC, I would absolutely hate this team as well because of this fan base.

I hate seeing the Canucks lose like that but knowing that there are so many pathetic fans out there disappointed, gives me some comfort. Also, I know that there are obviously a group of good canucks fans, but if you compare us to the other big markets, we have one of if not the worst fan bases .

This thread doesn't need much of a description, just look at the message board...2 positive threads to 20 bashing threads.

EDIT: Let me make it more clear that I am not criticizing the disappointment, obviously we have every right to be disappointed but the way these fans reacted to losing 2 games of a 7 game series is like I said pathetic.

It's you who is the moron.

The team is not playing as well as expected or as well as we have seen them. Do you see any of our players NOT trying 100% to put it right. We have been without one of the best players and highest scorers in the league, while playing a very good team with an outstanding goalie...............but nevertheless you just have to rubbish them. Grow a pair or find a team that's perfect in every way.

No doubt about it ............your are one alright.

When your last line of defense is Luongo...its damn hard to be positive ! He positively can;t get us over the hump. His stats this past season put him at the bottom of all playoff goalies...how does a 1st place team win with the NHL's 16th best goalie in net. Play the guy whose stats reflect our league position,,,SCHNEIDER. His numbers reflect his true ability. stats are designed to reflect ability and production. We have not given our team the best chance to win by playing a mediocre goalie against Quick(one of the Leagues best )

Coaches are always trying to match lines, but we fail to match goalies ! We deserve to be down by 2 games playing our second best (by a long shot) goalie !!

Archived