The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thank U Luongo

Special Ed

Luongo is not the main reason we're down in this series, for sure. 3/4 of our top four defencemen (Edler, Hamhuis, and Bieksa) need to tighten it up and play the pinches more assertively, instead of hesitating like Hamhuis did tonight. We are down our top goal scorer (#22) and for all intents and purposes (until this night), our former playoff hot-shot MVP (#17). And we have one player who logs big minutes with little efficiency or intangible benefit (#21).

But, with that being said. If Schneider is getting out-played by the opposing goalie and the Canucks are down 2-0 in the series, you would want to start Luongo in Game 3, no? Emotions and psychology aside, Cory Schneider has been the better goalie throughout the last two seasons, both in regular season play and in the few occasional big games he has played (including 5 games played in the playoffs).

This is not another attack on Luongo. Schneider is relatively inexperienced, but at the end of the day: who do you see letting us down?

1) Roberto Luongo: The infamous case of the athlete who suffers annual mental collapses in clutch moments and plays goal to one of the most hated sports teams in North America, and is even harassed bi-monthly by his own fans. From acting like the referee against the Ducks in '07 to crying against Kane in '09 to having 3 horrible nights in the Final series has undoubtedly led me to associate playoff failure (the moment we lose the series) with Luongo playing badly. Yet strangely, he is one of the five best goalies in the world over the last 10 years.

or

2) Cory Schneider: An emerging fan favourite with a seemingly unflappable and un-chokeable personality. Has the 2nd best save % in the NHL regular season and throughout the 82 playoff shots he has stopped, has a better save % than Luongo in the playoffs since 2007.

Yes Luongo has played a heckuva lot more games than Schneider in his career. But given what Schneider has done, he deserves the start Game 3. We all talked about a short leash that Luongo had to have, and now is when we pull that leash. He is getting out-played by their goalie, everything else aside.

Why sit a premier goalie on the bench while this is happening? It should be a tandem, not a hierarchy. And we shouldn't have to contradict our thoughts of frustration with loyalty. A breakaway is a breakaway (always possible to stop), a wrap around is a wrap around (always possible to stop). Maybe, just maybe Schneider coulda stopped those, like he has with amazing consistency throughout the regular season.

I can still respect and cheer for Luongo while wanting Schneider to start Game 3. But I'll be pissed if Schneider's not the next Cam Ward :rolleyes::lol:

It's the playoffs everything tightens up, 2-3 goals should win most games. Any good goalie should have a GAA of around 2 or under.

2009 Canucks score 6 goals, and luongo lets in 7 and we're eliminated. 2010 Canucks score 5 goals, luongo lets in 6, eliminated. Seems even when they score he will just let in more. So keep drinking the luongos cult kool aid.

The shaky defense in our own zone has not been helping Luongo at all. The canucks have a lot of trouble moving the puck out of their end because of the aggressive forecheck by the kings. Usually there are two forwards hounding the dmen like a 2-1-2 system and our dmen are being pressured which causes turnovers. AV better have a new strategy next game , there must be a better way to take advantage of their forechecking. Canucks need to tighten up the defense in our zone to have a much better chance of staying in the game. We have the players but need a better system than whatever AV is preaching these last two games. All I gotta say is that the kings coaching staff did their homework.

Lu was great in both first games. AV just wants to shake things up for the team in front by switching to Schneider (if indeed he will). Like someone said, Lu wants it bad this year and is trying his best to do what he can, but obviously when you have a team up front not acting like they want to win a Stanley Cup and acting like an AHL team, you're gonna let your goalie down and leave him stranded to go up against power forwards on short-handed chances.

After watching the first two games I need to get something off my chest. Obviously Luongo has come into the playoffs ready to play. The reason I'm angry is not so much that we lost, but that the team let Lu down.

I'm not sure what needs to be done but I hope everyone can acknowledge whats obvious. Lu wants it bad this year and his play has been STELLAR. What more do we need? Unfortunately I was expecting ryan Kesler to show up... AT LEAST in the playoffs. Im not sure Daniel in the lineup is a game changer. Sedins have no grit for the playoffs. Kassian not ready and Kesler being non existent is a huge problem.

Anyhow thank you Lu. The rest off the team should feel terrible for not taking advantage of what you have been doing. And that's giving us the best chance to win. I really hope everyone else notices that luongo is the only player who was ready. Only way we come back is if we get behind what Lu has been doing.

Keep luongo in net third game! Show the team clips of luongo working his ass off the last two games and tell everyone to step it up! Hopefully guys like Kesler get sick of seeing Lu making save after save and do something about it.

Rant mode off.

luongo could've had that wrap around EASILY if he had kept his eyes on the puck. and oh by you're logic, wrap arounds should never be possible because the D is always supposed to get it. I can make that same rhetoric argument about how any shot a goalie lets in could've been prevented by the D from letting the shot happen in the first place. you're a freaking idiot. philly is playing good offense? lmao, have you seen the breakaway chances they've had? the short-handed chances? pens aren't playing defense, and they're goalie can't stop sh*t. guess what? any claim that a team is playing good offense can be easily reinterpreted as the other team having poor defense/goaltending so don't even bother spewing that crap.

you know why kesler is 2nd star and quick 3rd? and not luongo? because they played better all game.

Luongo has been great thus far but is capable of pushing it to where he can steal us a game! He did it in Game 5 vs. Boston where he played lights out. I love him and know he isn't playing at the level he is capable of achieving but let's face who on this team is?

We can talk back and forth for hours about of Forward - Defense - G

Luongo has been great thus far but is capable of pushing it to where he can steal us a game! He did it in Game 5 vs. Boston where he played lights out. I love him and know he isn't playing at the level he is capable of achieving but let's face who on this team is?

We can talk back and forth for hours about of Forward - Defense - Goaltending but it won't matter. They are all to blame and i bet you they will tell you the same.

Yeah Luongo should of that save - hell he'll tell yeah he should.

Yeah Hank or Kes should of just got an inch or so to score - they'll tell you yeah they should of and need to be better.

Edler and the defense probably feel worse then anyone for those goals.

We haven't seen the best yet. If I know anything about this team it's watch out for Game 3. Never have I seen this core play back to back to back crap games where it's our goalie playing good but not good enough and offense is cold. They went on a winning streak before the playoffs, lost one and won the last then lose 2 straight.

Time these Canucks show up. We know what they can do that's why we sit here and complain. These guys can be beasts when on their games! It's disappointing yes when they play like this but don't expect it to last long. That's why I say don't be so cocky Flyers and Kings. Prepare for the push back!

I was at the game tonight and sat behind Lu for two periods and he was great, he was great last game as well. Kes tonight was a HUGE improvement over Kes from game 1, I thought he played lights out and basically did everything but finish. The boy's just gotta keep chipping away, sure it's a little bleak but all is not lost yet, win one game and we'll build on that. 5 on 5 this team has the Kings number but our power play is not only not scoring but it's costing us the games it seems right now.

Many people are saying throw Cory in to switch it up and sure an argument could be made for that but I'm more likely to say bench Edler. We're deep on D and Edler has been playing like an idiot and cost this team two game changing goals with his horrible give away passes up the middle. If he's an all star defensemen that he has to start playing like it! Sit him a game and let him think about what he needs to do to get ish done. Ballard looked great tonight bringing the puck up ice and now that he's back we can afford to sit Edler and replace him with Rome or Alberts.

The most frustrating part of that game was that the Canucks out hit and out shot the Kings and still lost, there are so many positives to take away from that game but unfortunately the stat that means the most was a negative for the Canucks tonight. While I'm now officially a little worried I haven't lost faith in the boy's yet.

Luongo was not good tonoght. I'm sorry but he really wasn't. The third goal was flat out weak. The second was bad too IMO. YEs, it was a partial breakawy but why exactly did Luongo flop onto his stomach and basically take himself out the play? Watch the replays of the second goal. luongo flopped to stomach way too prematurely. Goalies sometimes have to make big saves and Luongo made bery few big saves tonight.

luongo could've had that wrap around EASILY if he had kept his eyes on the puck. and oh by you're logic, wrap arounds should never be possible because the D is always supposed to get it. I can make that same rhetoric argument about how any shot a goalie lets in could've been prevented by the D from letting the shot happen in the first place. you're a freaking idiot. philly is playing good offense? lmao, have you seen the breakaway chances they've had? the short-handed chances? pens aren't playing defense, and they're goalie can't stop sh*t. guess what? any claim that a team is playing good offense can be easily reinterpreted as the other team having poor defense/goaltending so don't even bother spewing that crap.

you know why kesler is 2nd star and quick 3rd? and not luongo? because they played better all game.

Lu Lovers. This game we outshot them 48-26!!! We don't need your lover boy to stop the unstoppable but don't let in those back breaking goals at wrong stupid time again and again! The game losing goal was typcial Leaky Lu and the 4th dagger he was flat on all fours. Get up Lu and play goal... or you are getting to old for that?

Blah blah blah.. we let in two shorties and the team in front of him sucks! Lu's the best human pylon on breakaways.

Simply sick of this guy. MG and AV can't sit this guy because it would make them and the owner look stupid! Not to mention those Lu Lovers!

Yeah cause 4 goals on 26 shots is terrific! A whopping .846 sa% and 4gaa!! Sorry but no team is going to win with a goalie with those numbers, I'm not saying the team is playing good and it's just luongo but when they need a big save he's not there to make it, letting in a goal with 3min left in game 1, and 2 goals in the 3rd this game.

He's a good regular season goalie, but brutal in the playoffs. Setting records for letting in the most goals in a scf game, and another record for letting in the 4 fastest goals in a scf in game 7. He is a choker and always will be.

Luongos job is to keep the team in a game and from time to time steal a game for them. He was the one player heading into the playoffs with the most question marks and under the biggest microscope. He has stepped up and delivered everything that we could've asked for. He has give the Canucks a chance to win both game and the Canucks have responded by taking penalty after penalty and then wasting PP times setting absolutely nothing up. Edler has played so bad, I am shocked at this play. The team has let Luongo down. Its a shame to think that Schneider could start Game 3, as much as Luongo doesn't deserve to be pulled, it might be a reality. Hopefully the team responds and wakes the F up. This is embarassing.

Archived