Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Sedin Is Out For The Series

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
142 replies to this topic

#121 Wilbur

Wilbur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:46 PM

People seem to be wondering what's with this rash of "goonery". (particularly on twitter)

To that I pose the questions:

1) Who won the cup last year?

2) In what style did they achieve this?

Not sure why people are surprised.

#122 JelloIce

JelloIce

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:03 AM

We can differentiate between the class of NHL players by checking their pads.

I'm also pretty sure most of our team is using the soft ones if I recall correctly from the HNIC overview of this problem last year.

#123 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,204 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:58 AM

I have been preaching this from day 1 - the way to win in this league is to play dirty, injure the opponents top players and then beat whoever they have left.

That's what I hoped would happen when we got Kassian, Bitz and Mike Duco - all these players aren't just tough, they can play dirty and should if we want to win. This is why I'm pleased with what Bitz did, but it should of been Kopitar or Mike Richards who is out of the series, not Clifford.

To get back into this series that's what we need to do - not only wear their players down physically, but take out a couple of their many game-changers. Start with Richards - I want to see Kassian throw a gloved punch in a scrum (that barely gets called for a 2 minute minor) or slam Richards' head into the glass. Then get Duco into the lineup and throw a dirty elbow at Doughty, knocking him right out.

So we lose Kassian and Duco - 2 fourth liners, and they lose their best playoff forward and defenceman. Suddenly, Kesler isn't hampered or getting checked and is free to work his magic, we have more depth at center so can roll lines easily and they lose pretty much all their offence from the blueline, which becomes a lot less mobile and the matchups change completely.

As sad as it is, "dirty plays" are no longer dirty, they're almost tactics that NHL teams can use to beat their opponents. Mark my words, a dirty team will win the Cup, whether it be Nashville, New York, Boston, Philadelphia or Chicago, and they'll do it by taking out their opponents 1 by 1 in a 7 game series until their opponent has no one to play in that final, crucial Game 7.
Posted Image

#124 Buttock

Buttock

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:51 AM

I hope Torres Knocks out Keith the same way Keith knocked out Sedin. Karma needs to work quicker since we didn't get justice for that disgusting act. Without D. Sedin, this season is basically a write off. frack ME

I HATE DUNCAN KEITH and the nhl for not punishing a clear intent to injure. When you deliberately try to hurt someone it shouldn't mnatter if you are a first-time offender. First time offender should only be considered when it's a questionable/borderline hit. Pathetic that the nhl/shanahan said it he was 'closing the gap'. Give me a break. If that was crosby, duncan keith would be gone for the season/playoffs.

Next time we play the hawks someone better deal with him. He just ruined our chance at going deep into the playoffs. How one player can ruin an entire team's chance and get a slap on the wrist is beyond me.

This attitude is RIDICULOUS. If the Canucks have no chance to get out of the flipping FIRST ROUND without Daniel Sedin, they have no chance to contend with him. Daniel Sedin isn't the difference between a contender and the team we saw the last two games. That's on the guys who ARE playing, making stupid decisions with the puck in the defensive zone and failing to execute on the power play.

The Kings aren't that friggin good. The Canucks have played poorly and are capable of much, much better. Why the coach would start the playoffs by changing the lines the had closed out the regular season so well is beyond me!! If this team loses to the Kings I guarantee coach V is gone, Daniel Sedin or no Daniel Sedin.

Look how Pittsburgh played this year without the best player in the world. Look how well this team has stepped up in the past without Daniel Sedin. His absence is NO EXCUSE. If the Canucks think otherwise then they are done indeed.

Looking forward to game 3!

Edited by Buttock, 15 April 2012 - 02:57 AM.

#125 Haidacanuck

Haidacanuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:17 AM

To all the Canucks staff: give D Sedin seal oil. It's the best thing for a concussion. The omega oils in seal blubber is about your best brain food. Get better soon, we all miss you

#126 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,381 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:36 AM

Almost the entire team has been out for the series.

biggerabacus_zps5cae10b6.jpg

I got kicked out of the slut walk for trying to bid on the participants.

-BananaMash

#127 Guest_BuckFoston_*

Guest_BuckFoston_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:39 AM

This attitude is RIDICULOUS. If the Canucks have no chance to get out of the flipping FIRST ROUND without Daniel Sedin, they have no chance to contend with him. Daniel Sedin isn't the difference between a contender and the team we saw the last two games. That's on the guys who ARE playing, making stupid decisions with the puck in the defensive zone and failing to execute on the power play.

The Kings aren't that friggin good. The Canucks have played poorly and are capable of much, much better. Why the coach would start the playoffs by changing the lines the had closed out the regular season so well is beyond me!! If this team loses to the Kings I guarantee coach V is gone, Daniel Sedin or no Daniel Sedin.

Look how Pittsburgh played this year without the best player in the world. Look how well this team has stepped up in the past without Daniel Sedin. His absence is NO EXCUSE. If the Canucks think otherwise then they are done indeed.

Looking forward to game 3!

Wow thank you for saying everything I was just about to rant. These must be kids new to hockey because nobody who has followed the sport for at least a few years can write such nonsense. I wonder if they know that they have basically said that the Canucks are a garbage team since if one player is injured nothing can be done without him. If there is only one good player on the team and that's their whole hope, well... that is one rubbish team indeed. A single player does not a good team make.

Daniel was there in game 7 last year... so was Henrik, but what did they do? Nothing. I really don't see why people think that just because he comes back all of a sudden he is going to score a bunch of goals and singlehandedly win the series. Does no one remember the ridiculously long dry spell the twins had not so long ago?

#128 k1nz

k1nz

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:58 AM

I agree. It was absolutely sickening to watch guys like Kassian, Bieksa, Kesler, Burrows, Lapierre chirp at Keith and politely ask him to drop his gloves after he just delivered an obvious cheap shot with intent to injure on our star goal scorer. When that happens, you have to respond. It was a regular season game, honestly, who gives a crap. And then they proceded to take 2 penalties afterwards for simply trying to get them into a scrum.

Absolutely pitiful.

Agreed. The thing that really bugged me was how the media and half of CDC kept throwing around the term "pack mentality" afterwords like the elbow was the catalyst for a team revolution. Most people were proud of the way the Canucks handled the situation, when infact all we did was cower and let Keith off the hook. I for one was embarrassed.

The only correct response was someone dropping the gloves with Kieth.

I hope Danny gets well soon and I hope Keith gets whats coming to him. (although it definitely won't be a Canuck serving up the justice)

Edited by k1nz, 15 April 2012 - 07:03 AM.

#129 RIPRYP

RIPRYP

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

I have been preaching this from day 1 - the way to win in this league is to play dirty, injure the opponents top players and then beat whoever they have left.

That's what I hoped would happen when we got Kassian, Bitz and Mike Duco - all these players aren't just tough, they can play dirty and should if we want to win. This is why I'm pleased with what Bitz did, but it should of been Kopitar or Mike Richards who is out of the series, not Clifford.

To get back into this series that's what we need to do - not only wear their players down physically, but take out a couple of their many game-changers. Start with Richards - I want to see Kassian throw a gloved punch in a scrum (that barely gets called for a 2 minute minor) or slam Richards' head into the glass. Then get Duco into the lineup and throw a dirty elbow at Doughty, knocking him right out.

So we lose Kassian and Duco - 2 fourth liners, and they lose their best playoff forward and defenceman. Suddenly, Kesler isn't hampered or getting checked and is free to work his magic, we have more depth at center so can roll lines easily and they lose pretty much all their offence from the blueline, which becomes a lot less mobile and the matchups change completely.

As sad as it is, "dirty plays" are no longer dirty, they're almost tactics that NHL teams can use to beat their opponents. Mark my words, a dirty team will win the Cup, whether it be Nashville, New York, Boston, Philadelphia or Chicago, and they'll do it by taking out their opponents 1 by 1 in a 7 game series until their opponent has no one to play in that final, crucial Game 7.

AGREE. Want to be the coach? +1111111111111

RIP to the BEST pound for pound fighter the NHL has ever seen. Will be missed.

#130 Hock-E-Dad

Hock-E-Dad

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:35 AM

Your opinion is perhaps the most ridiculous and embarrassing I've seen on these boards in a long time. Injure an opponent with a deliberate dirty hit so we can win a game??? Give me a break, how about play harder, get the power-play working and bury chances when you get them?

#131 IwantGDiduc!

IwantGDiduc!

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

Any targeted hit that causes injury should be penalized in the following fashion. :

The offending player should be suspended for the entire length of time it takes the injured player to recover. His salary forfiet to the player who he injured. The offending player's team also pays a huge fine to the league for research into preventing future head injuries. Also they cannot replace the suspended players roster spot. Making the player and team suffer the duration of the injury would seriously take a bite out of the targeted head injuries.

#132 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,050 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:02 AM

Your opinion is perhaps the most ridiculous and embarrassing I've seen on these boards in a long time. Injure an opponent with a deliberate dirty hit so we can win a game??? Give me a break, how about play harder, get the power-play working and bury chances when you get them?

And as usual required multiple paragraphs to explain three sentences worth of thought
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#133 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:15 AM

Kristin Reid is not an official source of the Canucks. This information may not be true. Although by the way things are going with Daniel, he probably won't play this series.
Posted Image

#134 Wilbur

Wilbur

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:21 AM

Although I agree that this appears to be the template of success that the Bruins created, I'm not sure if I want to be a fan of this league if that's the case. It just gets too sickening. A game like the Senators-Rangers game or Blues-Sharks game are fine once or twice a year. They're emotionally charged and create stories. But every night? It just gets wearisome and emotionally straining.

Sometimes you have to win in the alleys but most of the time you should win by what you do skillfully on the ice. The Canucks almost won the cup last year by skillfully winning it on the ice. If they had have just won 1 game in the alley the cup would have been theirs. Emphasis on just 1 game in the alley, they didn't need to win all 4 there.

Edited by Wilbur, 15 April 2012 - 08:22 AM.

#135 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,734 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

It's an absolutely disgusting way that Daniel was taken out....Keith, watch out for karma, coming your way. I don't wish any player to be hurt, but Daniel is the last person in the league to deserve this so I hope Keith gets a taste of his own. Not in an intentionally dirty way - moreso in an answer to the bell scenario. To target players and take them out this way should have been eliminated long ago.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE old school hockey that's tough....but the league was supposed to make a change and in what I'm seeing throughout the playoffs in all series, it's getting to be more of a gong show than ever.

Thoughts are with you, Danny. May you be well.

Posted Image

#136 Cristalinastar

Cristalinastar

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

That's what I hoped would happen when we got Kassian, Bitz and Mike Duco - all these players
aren't just tough, they can play dirty and should if we want to win. This is why I'm pleased with what Bitz did, but it should of been Kopitar or Mike Richards who is out of the series, not Clifford.

To get back into this series that's what we need to do - not only wear their players down
physically, but take out a couple of their many
game-changers. Start with Richards - I want to
see Kassian throw a gloved punch in a scrum
(that barely gets called for a 2 minute minor) or
slam Richards' head into the glass. Then get
Duco into the lineup and throw a dirty elbow at
Doughty, knocking him right out.
So we lose Kassian and Duco - 2 fourth liners,
and they lose their best playoff forward and
defenceman. Suddenly, Kesler isn't hampered or
getting checked and is free to work his magic,
we have more depth at center so can roll lines
easily and they lose pretty much all their offence
from the blueline, which becomes a lot less
mobile and the matchups change completely.
As sad as it is, "dirty plays" are no longer dirty,
they're almost tactics that NHL teams can use to
beat their opponents. Mark my words, a dirty
team will win the Cup, whether it be Nashville,
New York, Boston, Philadelphia or Chicago, and
they'll do it by taking out their opponents 1 by 1
in a 7 game series until their opponent has no
one to play in that final, crucial Game 7.

So by this logic we would do anything, compromise ethics and jeapordize people's lives and well being just to hoist a trinket to say we were the best? The best at what? not hockey.

The above post stating, in a nutshell,that we should injure other players in order to win not only denigrates the value of the talent of the team we have built comprised of skilled players, but serves to promote and perpetuate unsportsmanlike conduct, goonery and in fact what boils down to assault resulting in dangerous injuries.
What is suggested is appalling and pathetic. Real warriors stand up against what is wrong, they dont adopt the " if you cant beat em join em" philosophy. The canucks have integrity both personally and professionally and if thats the kind of hockey you want your team to play then you may need to support the teams mentioned in your post. If the current flavour of the nhl is
that one must literally beat the other team into submission to procure a cup then bettman and shanahan can keep the stinking cup. We lost last year due to injuries, some of which could have crippled players. If punishments were stiffer and players relyed on skill we would have a cup- The logic proposed in the post contradicts everything our team is about.

Edited by Cristalinastar, 15 April 2012 - 08:32 AM.

16 WINS-its the beauty way to go!

Posted Image

credit to canazzy

#137 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,283 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:28 AM

It's an absolutely disgusting way that Daniel was taken out....Keith, watch out for karma, coming your way. I don't wish any player to be hurt, but Daniel is the last person in the league to deserve this so I hope Keith gets a taste of his own. Not in an intentionally dirty way - moreso in an answer to the bell scenario. To target players and take them out this way should have been eliminated long ago.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE old school hockey that's tough....but the league was supposed to make a change and in what I'm seeing throughout the playoffs in all series, it's getting to be more of a gong show than ever.

Thoughts are with you, Danny. May you be well.

Exactly. Which is why you need guys like Chris Neil and Matt Carkner in your lineup. Blood and guts type players who can also actually play. How can one not respect how the Sen's have responded to the Rangers.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#138 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:30 AM

Exactly. Which is why you need guys like Chris Neil and Matt Carkner in your lineup. Blood and guts type players who can also actually play. How can one not respect how the Sen's have responded to the Rangers.

Sadly Gillis only wants intelligent players with great hockey sense. Like knowing how to dive.

#139 Tanev's Smirk

Tanev's Smirk

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:34 AM

I've attached photos of Sidney Crosby, Daniel Alfresson and Daniel Sedin all lying on the Ice having been smashed in the head with plastic polymer elbow "pads" that Don Cherry demonstrated on Hockey Night as bad for the game and obviously bad for the best players in the league.

Frustrated with your oponent? Smash the best players in the head with your elbow, that is equipped with plastic "pad" as solid as steel. Injure the head: and hope the refs don't see and give you a five minuete penalty.

There is no respect in Hockey anymore. Stop equipping Players with Storm troopers gear. Make it soft so it hurts to throw a hit.

Betman is an ass. Stop the rollerball.

I for one think the game of hockey needs more motorcycles.

#140 bhawks21

bhawks21

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:07 AM

Perhaps this will help Vancouver focus more on the task at hand, and not be waiting or thinking Daniel will be back to solidify the first line this series.

Hoping Daniel is back this season, of course if 110% ready.

As for Shift-4 's comments regarding Keith. I agree this is frustrating, what would be a solution in terms of Keith's suspension ? Should these kinds of suspensions be tied directly into how long the injured player is out for ?

Personally I don't think the suspension length should ever be tied in to the end result of the hit in most cases. This kind of hit however, was completely different and should have been tied in with the recovery somehow IMO. If you link the suspension to how long a player is out it becomes WAY to subjective. What would happen for instance if a regular NHL player hit say someone getting a cup of tea but he never recovers to play in the NHL again? I know it is an extreme example but I'm just trying to get my point across. Keith's hit however was NOT a hockey play and should have been treated as such. I would have been perfectly ok with the suspension length being predicated on the return of Sedin and he shouldn't have played before that. But the other hits that injure players that are hockey plays? Tough to tie the suspension length to a players recovery especially with how fickle concussion recoveries are becoming IMO.

#141 surtur

surtur

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:20 AM

Please Torres take out Keith in a bad way..
Release The KraKassian
Posted Image

#142 jimmyking8888

jimmyking8888

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

Learn a lesson from Ottawa, Stand up for your teammates next time in Chicago.

#143 Buttock

Buttock

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

Lol, the Sens as a team responded well, but what Carkner did should be considered assault IMO. Why does the normal law not apply on the ice? If a guy doesn't want to fight and isn't fighting back, and you keep feeding him fists, you're committing aggravated assault. Doesn't matter what the guy did ten seconds prior or the previous game.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.