The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Booth Can't Pass

hodgson99

First off, I'm not trashing the Canucks. This isn't an "over-reaction" thread; I've noticed and observed this particular aspect of Booth's game for over a month now (I know, I'm a self-proclaimed expert). But, as disappointed as I am about the Canucks going down 0-2 to the Kings, I still believe they can come back and win this series. One game at a time. (But, to be honest, the way they're playing now, and the way they're tooled as a team, I don't honestly think they'll make it past the 2nd round...that hurts to me to say it, but just watching some of the other series, and those teams just seem to be playing with an extra urgency, or jump, that is missing from our team this year. Hoping they can turn things around in L.A.

Back to my point...

Have any of you noticed that David Booth can't pass? I've been watching him for a while now, and he just doesn't have the East-West, team-instincts kind of game. Of course, he's got great speed, he's strong on the puck, hard to knock-off and will also deliver a good hit once in a while. He has "exciting" one-on-one moves coming down the wing, he drives to the net fearlessly and in doing all this, he certainly creates chances through shots on goal, rebounds and just plain wrecking havoc. But he can't make a basic cross-ice pass, tape to tape. Especially when the target teammate is skating full-speed, his timing is off. I've noticed that his backhand pass attempts are even more atrocious; usually ends up being a turnover.

Again, I hope I don't come across as picking on the guy, but this is just something I've noticed. I guy like Mikael Samuelsson, for example, though not as fast, can move the puck, has natural hockey sense, and makes up for lack of speed with smart hockey plays, and an above average shot. Same with Chris Higgins. This guy hustles hard (as does Booth!), but he has more hockey sense than Booth. He can make those basic tape-to-tape passes, and he seems to create

The way Booth is most effective is off rushes. And if some one gets him the puck while he's busting down the wing.

But the issue is he can't pass, and if he can't pass, he's not using his line mates well (heard that before, right Kes?). Consider Kesler. We can all agree he's not a play-making centre. He's the kind of player that dominates defensively (usually) and really depends on his line mates to distribute the puck well. Think last year: Kesler's line mates were Raymond and Higgins and sometimes Samuelsson. All these guys complimented Kesler's game because they each had varying degrees of hockey sense (more than Booth), could create space for one another, and simply got good quality scoring chances. With Booth, however, as a player who is dependent on others to create for him, and with Kesler not being that type of Centre, it just seems to be a bad match. Kesler, in the end, can adapt pretty well to different types of line mates...but Booth can't.

Anyway, I've written more than I expected. Just let me know your thoughts, if you've noticed the same thing about Booth, or not. Am I missing something? (I'm really no expert, I don't even play ice hockey, but I think I've watched enough to make some comparisons).

Btw, in my opinion, the best passers on our team, from best to not-so-good:

Sedins

Higgins

Salo

Hamhuis

Bieksa

Edler

Raymond

Kesler

Lapierre

Hansen

Burrows

Tanev

Rome

Ballard

Booth

I remember one where he tried to make a backhanded pass to Ballard (Booth was by the benches, Ballard at center ice), and he passed it 6 feet behind Ballard. Ugh...

You should have Raymond actually on the list, top 10. He makes some good passes. His only problem right now is finishing.

I like his game, he's been working pretty hard so far. But you're right about the passing. It's just not part of style I guess. He needs to go with someone to pass him the puck. Why not try him with Sedin?

I remember one where he tried to make a backhanded pass to Ballard (Booth was by the benches, Ballard at center ice), and he passed it 6 feet behind Ballard. Ugh...

You should have Raymond actually on the list, top 10. He makes some good passes. His only problem right now is finishing.

I like the physical element Booth has brought to this Playoff series, however I pointed out some similiar things in his game when the season was still young and in fact I compared his stickhandling, passing, slow to get the shot off, and not so agile skating agility to that of Steve Bernier. I was ripped but I tell you they are similiar in this aspect.

Booth im a fan of because he is a Canucks player, perhaps that will change as I see him play more. Maybe im ignorant and did not pay as much attention before when he was with Florida, but I thought he was looked at as a topend player a couple yrs ago ?

Anyways im not about bashing Booth either, but I think people might have thought a different more productive player was coming to Vancouver, I did.

Maybe he rubbed me the wrong way when he was Tebow'ing it on CBC's after hours at the beginning of the year.

I like the physical element Booth has brought to this Playoff series, however I pointed out some similiar things in his game when the season was still young and in fact I compared his stickhandling, passing, slow to get the shot off, and not so agile skating agility to that of Steve Bernier. I was ripped but I tell you they are similiar in this aspect.

Booth im a fan of because he is a Canucks player, perhaps that will change as I see him play more. Maybe im ignorant and did not pay as much attention before when he was with Florida, but I thought he was looked at as a topend player a couple yrs ago ?

Anyways im not about bashing Booth either, but I think people might have thought a different more productive player was coming to Vancouver, I did.

Maybe he rubbed me the wrong way when he was Tebow'ing it on CBC's after hours at the beginning of the year.

Booth can't pass?????????? :shock: The entire Canuck team seems to have lost their ability to pass the puck. Passing to the headman last year was their strong point. This year, the puck ends up behind their receivers, in their skates, ten feet in front of them or is passed directly for one of the Kings to intercept. The Canucks have no break out power this year, they have no intensity and win about 5% of the races to the boards for the puck. Even when they did win a faceoff, the Kings ended up with control of the puck.

Sami Salo has fallen the furthest. Eighty percent of his passes last night were either zone dumpouts with no target receiver or passed directly to a King-s player. He used to be the Canucks most reliable defenceman.

Archived