The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

People Still Not Missing Ehrhoff?

Ugli Fruit

Let me begin by saying that Ehrhoff does not make the difference between a series win and a series loss. Or does he?

Everyone's sick of the drop pass. Well, everyone's sick of the powerplay in general.

Edler, while he is a great all-round d-man (when he plays), is still not a powerplay quarterback. Ehrhoff was. If Ehrhoff was still here, the drop pass would not be around because Ehrhoff knows how to gain the zone much better than Edler. He would either bring it in, stop at the blue line and dish it off, or pass it to the wing. Edler, or anyone else for that matter, will drop pass, 95 times out of 100.

Moving on, as we all know this play is past obsolete.

Edler seems to hate getting shots through. Good or bad, he always sucks at this. Ehrhoff was much better at this.

I also think Ehrhoff manned the point better than Edler in terms of puck management and distribution. Edler often takes too long to pass and sometimes puts himself in a position where he has no choice but to throw the puck into the corner (eg. screws around at the top of the point near the side boards and gets closed down by a forward). Ehrhoff was quicker for the most part and made space for the Sedins.

I don't think Ehrhoff's presence would get us more than a few goals, but I do think that he would have gotten us those few goals, which is a huge help. Also, Ehrhoff rarely turns the puck over during the powerplay (part of his puck management skills), so maybe that would have been a difference.

Thoughts? I've thought this one through... It's not a knee-jerk reaction thread. I honestly think Ehrhoff would've helped quite a bit.

Edit: Ignore the salary issue. If MG really wanted to keep him, he would have found a way to without compromising the team (eg. not re-sign Bieksa, deal Ballard, Raymond, etc).

He was an important player, no question. But there's no way we could afford to pay him what he wanted. Not only that, he wouldn't exactly have helped on the defensive side of things, which is where the team is having the most trouble.

He would help with the breakouts. Has anyone ever seen a team that is supposed to be good have so many problems breaking out of their zone. They have that one stupid play designed and Kopitar stops it every time. I can't understand how they can't break out. They are just trying the long stretch passes now but those are low percentage at the best of times. In the playoffs against a team like the Kings they are miracle attempts.

The Kings can break out and get a rush going. There are some talented people on this team. How can they not do a breakout? You learn breakouts as a 5 year old. And practice them every practice of your life.

He was an important player, no question. But there's no way we could afford to pay him what he wanted. Not only that, he wouldn't exactly have helped on the defensive side of things, which is where the team is having the most trouble.

Guest The Brown Burrows

I think that wemught see Ballard leaving, lots of cap space. If our prospects can fill in voids, we could sign a signuficant UFA to a high paying short cap hit. Jensen, Tanev, Connauton, and Schroeder could all be ready.

^ Chicago approach... but we would offer a guy like Suter 14 million for 2 years (depends if Nashville lets him go).

Just a random option that I think could work.

Ehrhoff injured a lot since he left so he probably would not be playing anyway. I miss Cody Hodgins more. He could easily have stepped into Daniel's place temporarily. Again, like last year we need scorring. We need greasy goals like they got last night against Luongo. We also need the refs to blow the dam whistle once Lou has covered the puck. At least two goals last night were scored because of slow whistles. I think we will rebound, our team has a lot of pride and will not go down without a fight. Go Canucks Go.

From day 1 I knew we would need him. Last year he was our best defenseman by far, the only one who stayed healthy, and also played 25+ minutes every game...

People always say his play in our own end and his lack of heart made him a liability.

His defensive play wasn't bad, and he put a lot of effort in with us. People are just mad he took off for a lot of cash

He should have taken the paycut.

coulda taken a 2 year contract and a cut, helped us win a cup, THEN worry bout making cash.

Almost every star on our team took a cut that season.

He would have been awesome on our team again, and I hope he regrets taking his agents advice.

Archived