The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Questionable Moves By Management Are Costing Us Now

AMCanuck

Gillis's biggest mistake was keeping AV as coach. His second mistake was thinking trading offense for brawn will help against the type of teams that they will rarely, if ever, play against.

AV has been easy on his players during the past month, thinking they would have more energy for the playoffs. That was a big mistake. The team is now playing at half-speed, both physically and mentally. That's a switch you can't just 'flip'.

Didn't know that Torres and Hodgson would have prevented a Daniel concussion, created an invisible Kesler and Bieksa and caused Edler's game to do a complete 180. Come on man, if we're up 2-0 in the series these threads aren't even thought of. We're down 2-0 because our role players are not playing like our role players.

A few extra years is trivial? I don't think so. You start handing out contracts like that and you set a precedent for the rest of the team and soon you've handcuffed yourself in long-term contracts.

And the Hodgson deal, what would you have wanted? Gillis isn't stupid; when a player asks for a trade, you don't sit on the idea and let it become an issue in the room. And you're not going to get nearly what you probably should for Hodgson if you trade for an older established player as there is always the fear Hodgson will not reach his potential. Cross that off the list, as Gillis would never and should never trade, unless he is able to get full value for a top prospect. So you're left dealing for someone similar to age in Hodgson. Kassian is a top prospect in the league, and probably the best power-forward prospect as well. How is that a bad idea when it's exactly what we need?

If Kassian is the top prospect then the pickings are awfully thin. Kassian is not ready, that is why he is on the 4th line. Cody Hodgson was ready and is going to be a force. I agree with the poster that right now, Hodgson would be more valuable to the team. When we had CH, the 2nd PP was a threat as was any line that he played on. He also scored game changing goals. Now the PP sucks, the 3rd line has been okay and Kassian is on the 4th line playing 6 minutes a game.

I pretty much agree completely with the OP.

We will be in huge cap trouble next season. With Burrows becoming a UFA in the offseason and little room in the cap we're going to need to make some moves to accommodate his larger salary. I'm scared to say it but our top players are not performing and MG might need to shake things up.

My biggest issue this season is and probably will be continue to be the Hodgson trade. Our star players have not performed this season. This is not something that began out of the blue, they have not performed well from the start. It was our secondary (tertiary) scoring of Hodgson and his line that was actually keeping our GF up. Don't get me wrong I actually love the Pahlsson trade. We got a quality player for next to nothing and were able to shed two useless players in the Booth trade. The problem is that Booth has not been nearly as good as he should be. Our top two lines (similar to last year) have disappeared and we are turning to our bottom six players for answers by moving them up. The problem is that these players aren't goal scorers.

Last year we had some players play pivotal roles during the playoffs. It's been obvious all season that we have missed Torres. Higgins has been great on the third line but we need him on the second line scoring goals. It's evident now more than ever that we are missing Torres and what he brought to this line. Had we not traded Hodgson we could have kept the Higgins-Pahlson-Hansen line together and had a second line of Booth-Kesler-Hodgson.

I don't want to sound like a broken record but the facts are that we didn't need Kassian and we don't. He is not our solution and he is not the kind of player everyone says he is when we got him from the Sabres. That player is Marcus Foligno, who could have brought something similar to Torres to our 3rd or 4th line.

From what I've seen of Duco he reminds me a lot of Torres and I really think we could use his energy right now on our bottom two lines.

Duco-Lapierre-Weise could be a very potent 4th line for us that we need to utilize.

I still don't think Kassian has the conditioning to play at a high level in the NHL. I see some posters who want him on the first line...hell I get winded thinking about Kassian playing 1st line minutes.

On a side note....why is the cursor so effed up when making a post or editing, goofy board software.

The main point Torres with Hodgson as his centerman would of been an awesome third line period.

Torres maybe streaky but would be a physical as hell line along with Hansen making space for Hodgson.

I myself would of like that compared to what they have but with AV's lack of offencive coaching ability he would screwed that line too

just like amex line.

Booth Hendrick Burrows

Schroeder Kesler Higgins

Raymond Phallson Hansen

BItz Lappierre Kassian although I prefer Raymond benched and Bitz or Reindprect in his place instead

First line needs skill period and Kesler and Higgins should be capable of protecting Schroeder's inexperience . As for Raymond he's uselessshould be replace by anyone in the AHL. Afterall rookies protected by two established players have been succeeding

last year and this year.

Yeah, at this point I'd agree with that sentiment. I don't think anybody disagrees that we should have re-signed Torres, and perhaps retained that 3rd line the way it was in last year's playoffs (with Lappy and Hansen). That bull-like mentality that Torres had was valuable to us in the playoffs, grinding down the other team's stars (like Thornton's shoulder), and scoring that clutch goal like you said. With that vacancy, we felt we needed to replace Torres with Kassian, who up to this point, has not provided us with what Torres did.

It's a pipe-dream now, and we all liked the trade when it happened, but I admit at this point, it would be nice to re-do that trade. Gragnani is a healthy scratch and Kassian might as well be right now. Hodgson had the 3rd highest points per minute of ice-time on the team and could have been providing some offensive insurance right now, maybe taking Raymond's spot in the top 6.

I was surprised (and disappointed) not to see Raymond traded, and then to see Hodgson leave meant that our top 6 (Burr, Sedins, Kes, Booth, MaRay) would have to get it done on a nightly basis, which they are collectively not doing right now. We felt that we were deep enough offensively, but considering Hodgson's numbers given his ice-time, it now seems like a semi-regrettable decision, as Kassian is understandably not ready to fulfill a top 6 role.

But this is all in retrospect, and I admit at the time of the trade, I was excited to get Kassian (probably because I thought he'd play like Torres!) Like Gillis, I thought that our top-end guys were more than capable, but now it would sure be nice to have Hodgson back. You can't really fault Gillis for a trade that everyone initially liked.

I hope you all are happy. Without the massive uproar for schneider and the complete dis trust in the guy who brought us within a game of the promise land, we would have been able to deal our top prospect and maybe package him up with hodgson to get a real key top 6 forward or top 4 defenceman. If the fans hadnt "neutered" their GM like dumbass PJ stock likes to say, Gillis woulda had the stones to pull the trigger and make a deal with even greater impact.

How stupid is it to have 2 100 chips and not be able to use one every game? That moneys is needed elsewhere. Thoughts?

I think if we were trying to win the cup now (or very soon) we shouldnt have invested in Kassian, a young, still in need of much development, 21 year-old who wont be ripe until a few years from now. Hodgson would have benefited us greatly in this run with his secondary scoring and sniping abilities. It doesnt make sense that we have given away so much of our future (Shirokov, Tambellini, Hodgson, etc) and then try to pick one up. He has little to no impact in a game, this Kassian guy.

Another big body like Ehrhoff on the back end would have been a phenomenal choice, but it was not ours to have, money took precedence. With him on the line-up, we wouldnt need somebody like Tanev who seems to get run over all the time, or Ballard who is questionable at best... Or worst of all, the Rome & Alberts jokes.

At this point though, I would scratch Edler for a game so he wakes up, let Rome/Alberts play it in his place. I would put in Schneider to mix things up even though i firmly believe Luongo has been our best player, by far. Cause we can always go back to Lu for game 4 in case we lose the 3rd.

Archived