Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Questionable Moves By Management Are Costing Us Now

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
53 replies to this topic

#31 cc_devil

cc_devil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

The main point Torres with Hodgson as his centerman would of been an awesome third line period.
Torres maybe streaky but would be a physical as hell line along with Hansen making space for Hodgson.
I myself would of like that compared to what they have but with AV's lack of offencive coaching ability he would screwed that line too
just like amex line.

Booth Hendrick Burrows
Schroeder Kesler Higgins
Raymond Phallson Hansen
BItz Lappierre Kassian although I prefer Raymond benched and Bitz or Reindprect in his place instead

First line needs skill period and Kesler and Higgins should be capable of protecting Schroeder's inexperience . As for Raymond he's uselessshould be replace by anyone in the AHL. Afterall rookies protected by two established players have been succeeding
last year and this year.

#32 coolcat13

coolcat13

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

We've only lost two games.....

AT HOME. How can anyone say ONLY?

#33 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

torres probably wouldnt be popping goals right now and either would cody so stop acting like theyd make a difference
Posted Image

#34 speedyglass

speedyglass

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

Yeah, at this point I'd agree with that sentiment. I don't think anybody disagrees that we should have re-signed Torres, and perhaps retained that 3rd line the way it was in last year's playoffs (with Lappy and Hansen). That bull-like mentality that Torres had was valuable to us in the playoffs, grinding down the other team's stars (like Thornton's shoulder), and scoring that clutch goal like you said. With that vacancy, we felt we needed to replace Torres with Kassian, who up to this point, has not provided us with what Torres did.

It's a pipe-dream now, and we all liked the trade when it happened, but I admit at this point, it would be nice to re-do that trade. Gragnani is a healthy scratch and Kassian might as well be right now. Hodgson had the 3rd highest points per minute of ice-time on the team and could have been providing some offensive insurance right now, maybe taking Raymond's spot in the top 6.

I was surprised (and disappointed) not to see Raymond traded, and then to see Hodgson leave meant that our top 6 (Burr, Sedins, Kes, Booth, MaRay) would have to get it done on a nightly basis, which they are collectively not doing right now. We felt that we were deep enough offensively, but considering Hodgson's numbers given his ice-time, it now seems like a semi-regrettable decision, as Kassian is understandably not ready to fulfill a top 6 role.

But this is all in retrospect, and I admit at the time of the trade, I was excited to get Kassian (probably because I thought he'd play like Torres!) Like Gillis, I thought that our top-end guys were more than capable, but now it would sure be nice to have Hodgson back. You can't really fault Gillis for a trade that everyone initially liked.

Huh? You can't blame Gillis for a trade thar everyone initially liked? Are you on glue? There was major disappointment throughout the city when that trade (Hodgson) was done. It was a boneheaded move. The Detroit model, my ass. Detroit wouldn't make a move as dumb as this. And Torres, yeah, I was thinking the same thing last night. We need his grit, secondary scoring and experience.

As for Shirokov, Tambellini, and Hodgson departed, as well as the 25th overall pick (Kuznetsov was available!) and Grabner we traded away to acquire Ballard, Gillis is gradually depleting our talent to the point where it's laughable.

Gillis is obviously not as smart as people think he is. He's ruining this team and it's pissing me off!

#35 Red Light Racicot

Red Light Racicot

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,393 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:27 PM

I hope you all are happy. Without the massive uproar for schneider and the complete dis trust in the guy who brought us within a game of the promise land, we would have been able to deal our top prospect and maybe package him up with hodgson to get a real key top 6 forward or top 4 defenceman. If the fans hadnt "neutered" their GM like dumbass PJ stock likes to say, Gillis woulda had the stones to pull the trigger and make a deal with even greater impact.

How stupid is it to have 2 100 chips and not be able to use one every game? That moneys is needed elsewhere. Thoughts?

If Gillis actually succumbs to fan pressure then he deserves to be fired.

#36 Oh Whisht

Oh Whisht

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:34 PM

Oh horsefeathers!

#37 verybcman

verybcman

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

True, if you look at the glass half full.

If you look at the glass half empty, the Kings only needs 2 wins to eliminate the 'Nucks.

#38 JamesB

JamesB

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

It is more than just two games. Although the Canucks won the President's Cup, which is a great achievment, they were lucky to do so. A lot of it was smoke and mirrors -- with the Canucks picking up a lot of points in games they deserved to lose. And St. Louis and the Rangers both faded at the end. Now the luck is going the other way as the Canucks deserve to be no worse than 1 and 1 against LA, and LA is a pretty hot team.

However, while MG has been a great GM, it is hard to disagree that the recent moves have not helped, at least for now. Hodgson has developed into a legitimate seconodary scoring threat while Kassian has not. He might be great in the future, but I do not see any current benefit from having Kassian on the 4th line instead of Weise. Both add some toughness, play solid defense, and are provide almost no offensive threat. In terms of this year, we lost a legitmate asset and got nothing that currently helps the team. Booth has been okay, but is streaky and has not done much lately -- and he is certainly overpaid for his current cap hit .

To be fair, Pahlsson was a good pickup.

I have to agree about losing Torres. He only wanted 2 years instead of 1. I think MG should have made that deal.

#39 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

I think if we were trying to win the cup now (or very soon) we shouldnt have invested in Kassian, a young, still in need of much development, 21 year-old who wont be ripe until a few years from now. Hodgson would have benefited us greatly in this run with his secondary scoring and sniping abilities. It doesnt make sense that we have given away so much of our future (Shirokov, Tambellini, Hodgson, etc) and then try to pick one up. He has little to no impact in a game, this Kassian guy.

Another big body like Ehrhoff on the back end would have been a phenomenal choice, but it was not ours to have, money took precedence. With him on the line-up, we wouldnt need somebody like Tanev who seems to get run over all the time, or Ballard who is questionable at best... Or worst of all, the Rome & Alberts jokes.

At this point though, I would scratch Edler for a game so he wakes up, let Rome/Alberts play it in his place. I would put in Schneider to mix things up even though i firmly believe Luongo has been our best player, by far. Cause we can always go back to Lu for game 4 in case we lose the 3rd.

Shirokov and Tambellini? Part of our future? You really are totally without a clue. Anything else you might say is clouded by the stupidity of that comment.

#40 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,616 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

Re: Kesler

Kesler doesn't use his linemates and he doesn't care. When it was brought to his attention, he didn't understand. Kesler had 6 shots last night, but his linemate, Booth, had zero.

This is the more interesting question about Gillis, imo.

Did he make the right move in getting Booth? Who cares about Torres and his 3 goals from the last run, when our two supposed second line studs are completely incompatible? Whose fault is this? Kesler's, or the GM for bringing in a player whose as much of a puck hog as Kesler? Did the Canucks lack the foresight to see that Kesler loves to shoot, and loves to carry the puck, and that Booth is largely inconsequential unless he's doing the same? Add Higgins and Raymond into the mix, and you have a dud second line. Someone has to change their game. And what if they can't? That's a 4 million dollar gamble.

With Booth's nasty contract and his streaky, inconsistent play... I can't help but think we would have been better off packaging Sturm and Samuelsson for someone else, or... god forbid, kept them.
Posted Image
le temps restitué

#41 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,929 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:07 PM

Hes been one of best players, and if u think he has only had 1 good period then I guess our team is pretty bad isn't it.

Yeah hes had a Bad year but overall hes been pretty good, I guess he was so bad last year and in 09/10 right?

I'm sorry but he was one of the worst players in game 1. He turned it around for game 2 for sure but that doesn't change much. To be honest we haven't see "beast mode" for quite some time but we caught a glimpse of it last night.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#42 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:10 PM

torres probably wouldnt be popping goals right now and either would cody so stop acting like theyd make a difference

Aren't you the guy who questioned why the team kept Burrows? Yeah, whatever you say is invalid because of that.

Posted Image

#43 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:13 PM

I agree, MG was very stupid this off season, and trade deadline. Booth, he's good, we needed that top 6 big forward to play with Kes, but is he and his scouts so retarded they don't know that Booth and Kesler won't work together? A small child could figure that one out.

Torres? Seriously? This guy was CLUTCH. Huge hits, key goals and a presence always, WAY more than that sissy Kassian.

Where is our top 4 D that we needed at the deadline? Oh, they are hard to get? YOU GAVE UP HODGSON, YOU COULD GET A TOP 4 D for Hodgson, but you traded him for a turnover machine and a big statue that doesn't hit.

OP, you are right, but whats done is done, we have to forget about that and put our faith 100% behind this team.

Believe. Canucks in 6.
Posted Image

#44 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

I would rather have Higgins on the third line than Torres. End of argument on that point. He's really not worth tying up for three years.

I agree with your Hodgson point. Kassian may be a great player, but he won't be this year or the next. So MG has jeopardizes this year's playoffs to "some extent" - however, you should understand that Hodgson's replacement isn't Kassian; it's Pahlsson. I would much rather have Pahlsson than Hodgson as our third line guy. But Gillis should have gotten something much more than Kassian and Gragnani in my opinion. We need a second liner to play with Kesler and Booth. Someone who has Hodgson's SKILL level, not a fourth line guy.

We have great depth with out grinders and bottom 6. Not so much on the top 6, espcially when we can't figure out whether Raymond is a top 6 guy or a bottom 6 guy. Danny's injury hurts us a lot.

#45 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,246 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

I'm sorry but he was one of the worst players in game 1. He turned it around for game 2 for sure but that doesn't change much. To be honest we haven't see "beast mode" for quite some time but we caught a glimpse of it last night.

I agree completley, but I thought he turned it around and will continue to play that way.

He's shown Glimses of Great play through out both games, and had some good moments, and had a Decent game in game 2.

He hasn't been Invisable as the OP said, and other than this Season has had good Years, the Past few Seasons.

zackass.png

#46 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:32 PM

HOLY SH8T IT CLUTCH!!!!!!!

CDC LEGEND.

BURROWS!!!!!!!

#47 oldnews

oldnews

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,147 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

Gillis - do we really need him?

#48 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:47 PM

Aren't you the guy who questioned why the team kept Burrows? Yeah, whatever you say is invalid because of that.

yah bro im totally that guy
Posted Image
Posted Image

#49 van_ws

van_ws

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

Have to agree with you, especially on the Hodgson trade disaster. Is it a coincidence that this team has been playing poorly ever since the trade?

Hodgson could have been a secret weapon in the playoffs. At the very worst, he is a solid depth/secondary scoring option.

#50 fyrblaed

fyrblaed

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

Gillis - do we really need him?

don't blame gillis for all of the canucks woes. when a team hires a gm with no experience, he's usually just a lapdog of the owners. i'm pretty sure that most of the dumbass moves that gillis has made over his tenure has been at the insistance of the aquilinis.

#51 LayDownLu

LayDownLu

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

AT HOME. How can anyone say ONLY?

No kidding eh. We didn't just lose the games, we came out with a disgusting effort in both. If this team miraculously gets out of this round, don't expect much more

Edited by LayDownLu, 14 April 2012 - 05:32 PM.

#52 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,545 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

I agree that losing Torres was a huge mistake. Even at a multi year contract, at $1.75M/yr, it's a bargain for what he brings to the table. This season has all been about experimenting and trying to get Booth and Raymond to perform their roles in Vancouver and trying to reignite Kesler.
Untouchables: Tanev, Jensen, Kassian
Mostly untouchable: Sedins (need someone to man the fort and no trade value)
Open to trade: Everyone else
Drive to airport: Bieksa, Edler

Bring back: Ehrhoff

#53 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:36 PM

Agree with you 100%! Especially about the CoHo-trade!

#54 bobopan

bobopan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,442 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 07:43 PM

I would of like to of seen the Hodgson deal go down in the summer, not at the trade deadline. Kassian is still a good 2-3 years away from potentially being an impact player on the 2nd line.. obviously that deal did nothing to help us for this playoff run. Secondly when you bring in a guy to be your shutdown center you actually have to have the other pieces in place to complement him and that 3rd line isn't stopping a damn thing..

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.