The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do The Canucks Have To Play Schneider? Increase His Trade Value.

kdub69

I know roberto have played well and its not his fault we can't play defense but to we have to play schneids in order to increase his trade value even more if he wins? If he gets us out of the first round we can definetly get way more for him.

What do you guys think?

I think there are several explanations. It is a gamble, but putting in Schneider with the hopes of him winning game 3 makes his value skyrocket as long as he plays well. There may be some teams who are ready to pull the trigger on a trade that will land us a top notch prospect who could help us for playoff runs to come. They've seen him play well in a high pressure playoff game last year, but he didnt get to play the full 60 mins in game 6 vs Chicago.

Playing Schneider also may help the team rebound and start kicking it up a notch. This is a team that has frequently rallied around their backup in the past.

Lu has made some stellar saves in the last two games, and has seemed to have more highlight reel saves than in the past, but a few of his goals have been soft. Schneider has really yet to let in a softie in a close playoff game. He had a couple miscues last year while playing the puck, but in terms of his positioning and game mentality i find myself more comfortable with him in the net.

I think its very arguable that Schneider gives us a better chance to win. Combine that with his trade value, and yeah, I wouldn't be mad/surprised at giving him a chance game 3. Let him steal one for us. Let him be perfect. You know he wants it.

Getting a top prospect will also give us a better chance to win every year after this one. We're two games down, why not try something drastic?

There's nothing to lose. If Schneider gets bombed in game #3 and we go down 0-3 you just go back to Luongo. If he can't get us back into it and we get bombed in game #4, Luongo will have had enough of this city and likely want out. Isn't that what the masses on here want (Luongo shipped out, Schneider to be our starter)?

I wouldn't say that is what I want... but I am not convinced that Schneider is the one that is going to move.

I said back in the middle of the season... if we have an early exit from the playoffs (and if it in ANY way can be construed as Luongo's fault)... he will be run out of town by the fans and media. Heck, as you say, he may even be happy to go and chill out in Tampa.

I guess I would go even further to say that even if an early exit CAN'T be pinned on Luongo... folks will need a scapegoat and run him out of town anyways.

To me it is a 50/50 proposition which goalie is a better value:

Luongo:

- simply a better, more proven goalie

- very good value contract in relation to his numbers

- great "cost certainty" on his contract because he is signed forever and we don't have to worry about inflationary salaries

- has never been embraced by fans/media

Schneider:

- Cheaper initially (I suspect that we could get a 2-3 year contract at around $2.5 per)

- Has some extra possible upside

- Has more years of primetime left in him

- Is by no means proven as a starter (it is way different when all the pressure is on you... he has almost zero pressure right now from fans and media)

I don't disagree... not that I think Malone is the best option, maybe the best that Tampa could offer.

I guess a plus on the side of moving Luongo is that you free up the space to try to give a max offer sheet to Weber (on the 10% chance he actually intends on leaving Nashville)... what team couldn't use a massive defenceman with a mean streak who will smash your face into the glass when you give him a whack.

Archived