Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Do The Canucks Have To Play Schneider? Increase His Trade Value.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 kdub69

kdub69

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

I know roberto have played well and its not his fault we can't play defense but to we have to play schneids in order to increase his trade value even more if he wins? If he gets us out of the first round we can definetly get way more for him.
What do you guys think?

#2 The Sedin's 6th Sense

The Sedin's 6th Sense

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:32 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

"You know what my favourite Super Bowl is? The next one."

- Tom Brady

#3 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,537 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

How can you even think about his trade Value?

Were down 2 Games, and we have been getting outplayed.

Him playing has nothing to do with Trade Value, its about winning.

zackass.png

#4 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,689 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 01:06 PM

Increase his trade value? NO f in way. We need someone that can make timely saves, keep the games tied up, not give up goals late in the period, not give up goals late in the game type of goaltending. We will bring him in, once again to clean up a mess. The mess right nwo? Down 2 games to 0 mess.

Players Nikolaj Ehlers have been compared too by the fan base of the Vancouver Canucks.

1 Pavel Bure

2 Markus Naslund

3 Nathan Mackkinon

4 Jonathan Drouin.

5 Jonathan Tavares

http://bleacherrepor...d-top-prospects

combine results.  Ehlers 5'11 162 lbs of solid rock.  

#5 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

Trade Value > Stanley Cup

Que?

Posted Image

#6 cdubuya

cdubuya

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

Trade Value > Stanley Cup

Que?

I think there are several explanations. It is a gamble, but putting in Schneider with the hopes of him winning game 3 makes his value skyrocket as long as he plays well. There may be some teams who are ready to pull the trigger on a trade that will land us a top notch prospect who could help us for playoff runs to come. They've seen him play well in a high pressure playoff game last year, but he didnt get to play the full 60 mins in game 6 vs Chicago.

Playing Schneider also may help the team rebound and start kicking it up a notch. This is a team that has frequently rallied around their backup in the past.

Lu has made some stellar saves in the last two games, and has seemed to have more highlight reel saves than in the past, but a few of his goals have been soft. Schneider has really yet to let in a softie in a close playoff game. He had a couple miscues last year while playing the puck, but in terms of his positioning and game mentality i find myself more comfortable with him in the net.

I think its very arguable that Schneider gives us a better chance to win. Combine that with his trade value, and yeah, I wouldn't be mad/surprised at giving him a chance game 3. Let him steal one for us. Let him be perfect. You know he wants it.

Getting a top prospect will also give us a better chance to win every year after this one. We're two games down, why not try something drastic?
Posted Image

#7 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:22 PM

I think there are several explanations. It is a gamble, but putting in Schneider with the hopes of him winning game 3 makes his value skyrocket as long as he plays well. There may be some teams who are ready to pull the trigger on a trade that will land us a top notch prospect who could help us for playoff runs to come. They've seen him play well in a high pressure playoff game last year, but he didnt get to play the full 60 mins in game 6 vs Chicago.

Playing Schneider also may help the team rebound and start kicking it up a notch. This is a team that has frequently rallied around their backup in the past.

Lu has made some stellar saves in the last two games, and has seemed to have more highlight reel saves than in the past, but a few of his goals have been soft. Schneider has really yet to let in a softie in a close playoff game. He had a couple miscues last year while playing the puck, but in terms of his positioning and game mentality i find myself more comfortable with him in the net.

I think its very arguable that Schneider gives us a better chance to win. Combine that with his trade value, and yeah, I wouldn't be mad/surprised at giving him a chance game 3. Let him steal one for us. Let him be perfect. You know he wants it.

Getting a top prospect will also give us a better chance to win every year after this one. We're two games down, why not try something drastic?

There's nothing to lose. If Schneider gets bombed in game #3 and we go down 0-3 you just go back to Luongo. If he can't get us back into it and we get bombed in game #4, Luongo will have had enough of this city and likely want out. Isn't that what the masses on here want (Luongo shipped out, Schneider to be our starter)?

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#8 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,980 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

There's nothing to lose. If Schneider gets bombed in game #3 and we go down 0-3 you just go back to Luongo. If he can't get us back into it and we get bombed in game #4, Luongo will have had enough of this city and likely want out. Isn't that what the masses on here want (Luongo shipped out, Schneider to be our starter)?

I wouldn't say that is what I want... but I am not convinced that Schneider is the one that is going to move.

I said back in the middle of the season... if we have an early exit from the playoffs (and if it in ANY way can be construed as Luongo's fault)... he will be run out of town by the fans and media. Heck, as you say, he may even be happy to go and chill out in Tampa.

I guess I would go even further to say that even if an early exit CAN'T be pinned on Luongo... folks will need a scapegoat and run him out of town anyways.

To me it is a 50/50 proposition which goalie is a better value:
Luongo:
- simply a better, more proven goalie
- very good value contract in relation to his numbers
- great "cost certainty" on his contract because he is signed forever and we don't have to worry about inflationary salaries
- has never been embraced by fans/media

Schneider:
- Cheaper initially (I suspect that we could get a 2-3 year contract at around $2.5 per)
- Has some extra possible upside
- Has more years of primetime left in him
- Is by no means proven as a starter (it is way different when all the pressure is on you... he has almost zero pressure right now from fans and media)
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#9 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

I wouldn't say that is what I want... but I am not convinced that Schneider is the one that is going to move.

I said back in the middle of the season... if we have an early exit from the playoffs (and if it in ANY way can be construed as Luongo's fault)... he will be run out of town by the fans and media. Heck, as you say, he may even be happy to go and chill out in Tampa.

I guess I would go even further to say that even if an early exit CAN'T be pinned on Luongo... folks will need a scapegoat and run him out of town anyways.

To me it is a 50/50 proposition which goalie is a better value:
Luongo:
- simply a better, more proven goalie
- very good value contract in relation to his numbers
- great "cost certainty" on his contract because he is signed forever and we don't have to worry about inflationary salaries
- has never been embraced by fans/media

Schneider:
- Cheaper initially (I suspect that we could get a 2-3 year contract at around $2.5 per)
- Has some extra possible upside
- Has more years of primetime left in him
- Is by no means proven as a starter (it is way different when all the pressure is on you... he has almost zero pressure right now from fans and media)

With the direction the NHL is going (look at all the cheap shots going around not to mention the weak-kneed disciplinary sentences) I don't think adding Ryan Malone & a pick for Luongo would be such a bad idea. If the league isn't gonna be a deterrent for cheap shots taken against us, it's time to protect ourselves with toughness all through the lineup.

The problem is, Steve Yzerman is most likely thinking the same thing so I doubt he'd trade Malone anyway.

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#10 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,980 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

I don't disagree... not that I think Malone is the best option, maybe the best that Tampa could offer.

I guess a plus on the side of moving Luongo is that you free up the space to try to give a max offer sheet to Weber (on the 10% chance he actually intends on leaving Nashville)... what team couldn't use a massive defenceman with a mean streak who will smash your face into the glass when you give him a whack.

#11 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:00 PM

Schneider's $2.66m + $8.5m for Weber?

Gotta move Ballard's $4.2m somewhere and replace Raymond's $2.55m with Kassian's $900k in that scenario in order to make it fit. What do you think Edler's next contract looks like? Keith Yandle's?

#12 Provost

Provost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,980 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

Schneider's $2.66m + $8.5m for Weber?

Gotta move Ballard's $4.2m somewhere and replace Raymond's $2.55m with Kassian's $900k in that scenario in order to make it fit. What do you think Edler's next contract looks like? Keith Yandle's?

Pretty much the thought... it is of course a dream, as I fully expect Weber to re-sign with Nashville now that they plan on spending some cash.

Weber would be a 1yr contract so you could sign him without risking Nashville matching and locking him up (no way they match a 1yr and then risk losing him for nothing at the end of it... I suspect even the threat of the offer sheet might make them amenable to a deal). You then figure out an extension for a very long term for less cap hit per year ($6.5-7.0) after that year. You have dropped Luongo's long term contract so effectively you replace it and sign Weber until his social security kicks in.

Even assuming the cap doesn't go up, you then have $3-4 million the year after to spare which you can throw and Burrows and Edler for raises. Plus Salo almost certainly will retire by then and you have Tanev or Gragnani at a cheaper rate.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Chris Higgins ($1.900m)
Jannik Hansen ($1.350m) / Samuel Pahlsson ($2.650m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Byron Bitz ($0.700m)
Andrew Ebbett ($0.525m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Shea Weber ($8.500m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)
Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)
Marc-Andre Gragnani ($0.605m) / Sami Salo ($2.000m)
Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($2.500m)
Curtis Sanford ($0.600m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,725,000; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,575,000

Edited by Provost, 15 April 2012 - 05:32 PM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.