The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I've Just Watched The Whole Game Again.

Bodee

Dude, Zach has looked lost out there! He had one nice play the entire game, and maybe two positive shifts.He's not hitting anyone, he's not stealing the puck away or doing much of anything at all.I think it's easy to make up a fantasy about a player and what he 'COULD' do for a team, but the fact is that Kassian has showed that he needs another year in the AHL.

If we make better passes we'll have an easier time. We are (or we were) a puck possession team right? Passes need to connect tape to tape more often instead of through their legs like they were last night. They can do it!!!! GO BOYS!!!!!!

Quick is very overrated. Sure he made 40+ saves but the defence is boxing us out very well and limiting chances off the rush or from the slot so Quick doesn't have much work to do, and he's let up some really stinky rebounds lately.

Meanwhile, the only offence the Kings are generating is from Canuck mistakes. If we tidy up our own mistakes we basically shutdown their offence which isn't as good as we're making it look - its very opportunistic and taking advantages of the chances we're giving it, while their defence isn't slipping up at all (due to great coaching style as well) so we're making all the offence ourselves out of nothing.

There's no harm and no risk in starting Schneider in Game 3. The boys will play well in front of him.

My biggest concern is that if LA decides to run Schneider (and they will), the Canucks will do nothing but stand and blink and wait for a penalty.

Somebody needs to step up. Seriously. This is the playoffs. Guys will risk suspensions to turn the tide of a series by taking headshots or whatever.

And if by some miracle we win this series, the next team will continue taking out the Canucks stars, one by one.

And the rest of the Canucks will stand and blink and wait for a penalty to be issued.

I think that trying to match their physicality has been the downfall of our play so far. We're spending our time trying to match their physicality instead of focusing our energy on beating them in puck battles.Agree though that we've matched them physically, Luongo's been our best player as well.Tanev and Edler have had a bad start to the series. This doesn't mean that I don't like to have them on the Canucks, but I think it's time to sit out one of them. It's fine to sugar-coat it and say that Tanev will turn it around, but we also have to realize that he just can't handle the Kings forwards and has a lot of areas to improve on in the off-season.Edler has been terrible in both games. No big hits, one good shot that got tiped and multiple horrible giveaways.Tanev will be a nice solid d-men for us for years to come, but it's time to give Rome/Alberts or MAGs a shot...If one takes of the Canucks-coloured glasses, it would be really hard to make an argument that we wouldn't have been better of playing a d-man other then Edler in the first two games. I know what he's capable of, but he just seems asleep out there. Maybe it'll take a big hit or two to get him back into it.

What did I see the second time?

1 We had more than enough play and chances to win the game.

2 Our physicality more than matched LA.

3 We need to concentrate on parking a man in front of the net..........at both ends.

4 Edler and Luongo were neither weak nor to blame for the defeat.

5 We must try to pass laterally in front of Quick. We are faced in Quick, with a net minder who is trying to do a Tim Thomas on us. He is taking the piss with the distance he is venturing out of his goal area. We must find an angle by giving the shooter a lateral option instead of the low percentage shot. I think we should use Kassian more to stand in front of Quick. This would be an ideal way of using his size and his attitude.

6 It's good to have Ballard back. Apart from a couple of moments it was like he had never been away. I also think by the 3rd game he will have calmed Tanev down enough to find his best game. Tanev didn't play badly it was just that he wasn't at his best.

7 Kesler looks as if he is about ready to light up.

8 There are players in our team who look ready to break out. They are playing well but getting little reward. Kesler, Raymond, Hansen, Pahlsson, Burrows, Sedin and to a lesser extent Higgins, Booth and Ebbett. Kassian needs a set role (like Volpatti) Use him to screen, and throw his weight about in front of Quick. This team isn't Boston and although they are physical they are NOT intimidating.

9 We need to guard against leaving the back door open against this team. As far as I can see that is their only real weapon, the counter attack. Deny them that and I think we will rip them a new one. On the same theme, when we are all over them, we are getting ourselves out of position in our determination to score and losing concentration. More control and adhesion in our system is required.

Lastly if I was LA I wouldn't feel too cocky. There were signs there that given a break or two we will be a hot handful in LA. Personally I can't wait for it. Get our PP sorted (at least so it doesn't leave us vulnerable to counterattack) and we will start to roll.

Archived